PDA

View Full Version : use how much lime?

Jambo
12/17/2001, 07:09 PM
i am new to using food grade lime to make up my top off water. i use one gallon plastic jugs to store my ro/di water. how much mrs. wages should i add to a gallon to make up a saturated solution?
thanks,
jim

Harbour
12/17/2001, 07:16 PM
Jambo,

Try a search on "lime water". There are quite a few threads on this issue.

On one of those threads it says that the water will only hold so much lime and the rest of course finds itself on the bottom of the jug. The thought there is that you can't add more than the water will tolerate, all you end up doing past that is wasting lime - thats what the thread says...

I add one tablespoon to my gallon jugs, shake and let sit for at least 24 hours.

I also run a fan to help evaporation rates both in the summer and winter.

Harbour

SteveN
12/17/2001, 07:58 PM
Please research the question before asking. If there is something that is not understood after using the search feature, ask questions. Please be aware that these are not supposed to be an "ask the expert" any question without doing research first. I am sure that Randy would/will answer the question, but it is very common and the answer easily found with the search feature. Please don't take this as a flame, either, it is not. It si an early attempt to save Randy's sanity. After all, he works around some good chemicals.

Jambo
12/17/2001, 09:59 PM
harbour,
thanks for the info

harbour & SteveN

search capabilities noted....somehow i missed that one...duh

SteveN
12/17/2001, 10:34 PM
yea, I know what you mean about the search. I often forget about it. If I can't find it in a book I have it doesn't exist. Therefore I have to ask. I need the reminder as much as anyone. The more I say it, the more often I remember to use it.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/18/2001, 08:21 AM
Jambo:

It is easy to tell you how much to add to saturate the limewater, but your tank may need more or less calcium and alkalinity than this. Consequently, you may have to adjust your additions over time.

If you go the route of adding excess lime, just make sure the solids aren't dosed directly to the tank (some experts have done this, but it is risky).

Here are some great articles on the various ways to use limewater. The link is to Craig Bingman's new web page (actually, old web page, new address). The first three articles listed are all about limewater, but the page is laoded with other great chemistry articles:

http://cbingman.best.vwh.net/articlesbytopic.htm