PDA

View Full Version : Theories on BioBalls/LiveRock/Substrate

StoutLager
01/28/2005, 07:58 AM
Wish wish to gather Bermuda theories on BioBalls, LiveRock, & Substrate in our Forum, since we have a unique scenario to those on mainland. We should add a few other topics that are unique to us. Generic topics, like Protein Skimmers, Pumps, plumbing, electrical, feeding, temperature control, and the like, are probably best for the general forums so we gather insight from the world.

Here is Walt's theory. A coastal aquarist has the benefit of bountiful real live rock, not half dead and shipped from south pacific. We also get live sand. If feel that if you have this, you do not need BioBalls in your filters, sumps, or skimmers. I think, but may be wrong, that BioBalls are a replacement for lack of surface area for "bugs" (bio balls are a breeding ground for some real nasty stuff.. the newer rule says only water that moves should be part of your water column). I can quote from other forums that bio balls are a breeding ground for some real nasty stuff.. the newer rule says only water that moves should be part of your water column. I would think all kinds of food parts, dead things, plant branches, and stuff would collect in them and the rot.

The only thing I can think that it has that live rock and sand do not is the fact that they are basically out of the water with water trickle over the balls. If the beneficial bacteria needs that much oxygen to do its job, then this really is the answer. Anybody know about this part???

I like to think of the whole tank as kind of a protein skimmer. Many people like to remove as many small bubble from their tank for clarity and beauty, especially all the little ones generated from a skimmer. I actually purposely put an airstone next to my main return and run it a few hours a day to inject air into my water column. My theory is that this a) will provide oxygen to beneficial bacteria, and b) server to attach to the junk and proteins and float to the top and out the overflow (like a skimmer). Just do not have it on when showing or looking yourself. How does that sound?

StoutLager
01/28/2005, 08:02 AM
Before I came to Bermuda, I remember seeing many tanks with a good size "stream" of microbubbles shooting down the back. What device would be used to do this? (I know it is not just an airstone).

bermudadiver
01/28/2005, 09:53 AM
Use the search function here on RC to do some research. There is a ton of info on this.

Heres about a hundred discussion threads on the subject:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=4381172&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Long and short of it is this:

Bioballs and Biowheels are super efficient at breaking ammonia down to nitrites, and nitrites to nitrates. However, they do not do anything for the final step in the nitrogen cycles, which is the export of nitrates.

In a fish only (and freshwater system) nitrates are not an issue. In a tank with corals and softies (zoos etc) nitrates are a bad thing. The upside of bioballs is it can handle a heavily stocked tank and remove the potentially toxic ammonia and nitrite.

However, adequate nitrate export is important if using this method. My problem right now is I am not running a deep sand bed or a refugium. As such, I have to rely on regular water changes to keep my nitrates down.

I'm hoping to build a refugium to minimize my water changing requirements.

So there ya go. There's my two cents worth.

Rick

pillston
02/12/2005, 08:36 AM
In my limited understanding, the bio balls, being in a mixed water/air environment, promote aerobic bacteria, an opposed to anaerobic which would be in the live rock / sand in the tank.

These seem to be very efficient in converting waste to nitrates (maybve too efficient if you can't get rid of the nitrates quick enough). In the early days of trickle filtration, live rock was used but was replaced by bio balls over time. Presumably not all live rock used was dead/poor quality, so there must be an advantage to using bio balls?

On the other hand it may have come down to cost..... buying small chunks of live rock in ohio is probably much more expensive than buying a few plastic balls (which are probably made in ohio!)

wnutz
02/19/2005, 02:08 PM
bioballs have no place in a reef tanks filtration get rid of them an make sure you have a good skimmer an the live rock in the tank will provide all the biological you need.