PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae

snobordr
12/17/2001, 03:02 PM
What is everyone's opinion on the best way to get rid or at least control green hair algae? I've tried lowering the temp, increasing the water flow and lowering the photo period. No luck.

SPasse
12/17/2001, 09:18 PM
Snobordr,

Controlling nuisance algae is accomplished by a three-pronged attack:

1 Limiting the levels of direct plant foods in the water, namely Nitrate, Phosphate and Sulfate.

2 Using herbivores like snails to eat that which still grows.

3 Using other non-pest species of plants such as macro algae which both complete with nuisance algae for available nutrients and inhibit it via biochemical suppression.

#1 can be accomplished by using efficient skimmers alone or in conjunction with “natural systems� such as DSB’s (Deep Fine Sand Beds).

#2 is rather self-explanatory, the trick is to avoid certain herbivores such as certain species of hermit crabs that can prove to be a pest in the long run.

I use a combination of a DSB, a mud bed and Macro Algae filtration to limit the growth of nuisance algae, and a small herbivore crew to eat the small amount that does grow.

The DSB removes Nitrates and “processes� detritus The Macro algae filtration removes the phosphates and the sulfates.

Finally, one of the biggest causes of a bad hair algae outbreak is rushing a new system. A reef really only becomes somewhat stable, in a micro critter-Bacterial-Chemical sense, after about a year of operation.

Low temperatures are bad for a reef tank, especially long term. A DSB for example, is much less productive at lower temperatures.

Regards,

Scott Passe

JEMichael IV
12/20/2001, 06:24 PM
As you said in your message:
Low temperatures are bad for a reef tank, especially long term. A DSB for example, is much less productive at lower temperatures.

What are considered low temperatures in your opinion?

SPasse
12/20/2001, 07:48 PM
John,

When I started my first reef in the late 1980’s most of the critters were from the Florida Keys and 75 degrees Fahrenheit was considered optimum.

But today, most of our critters come from the Indo Pacific where the average temperatures are in the low eighties.

Lower temperatures have profound impacts on the physiology of cold-blooded animals.

Here is what I consider to be one of the best reference articles on the subject.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1997/nov/features/1/default.asp

So today, I advocate keeping reef tanks around 80 to 82 degrees Fahrenheit.

Regards,

Scott Passe