PDA

View Full Version : Sectioning out sump area for brime shrimp? Has anyone done it?

NuccaTree
12/17/2001, 12:10 PM
I am just curious to see if anyone has any suggestions or comments on creating a hatchery for brime shrimp in the sump area. I have a 30g sump ready to go and was wondering if I can section off part of it to breed/grow shrimp in? Please help me out with this thought.

Thanks

FMarini
12/17/2001, 04:57 PM
Hi:
I haven't heard of this...
So may i ask a few things.
how slow a flow thru this area can you get? i would be concerned w/ having the brine shrimp, and brine shrimp eggs ending up everywhere and thru the system quickly.
Do you have some way of isolating them brine shrimp/shrimp eggs in the sump? netting, baffles,etc
why do you want adult brine in the sump? or is this for baby brine(BBS) or all phases of growth?
What is going to be the food source for the BBS-phyto's???

personally for me it has always been easier and less hassle to purchase live brine as adults then to try to raise them from BBS
So besides having a Brine shrimp hatchery in the sump what is your game plan? is it for the banggai breeding you mentioned in another post?
thanks
frank

Bugger
11/07/2004, 05:55 PM
Is makeing my own salt for brime shrimp a worth while idea.
Here's what I can find...
Mix 6lbs of sodium chloride with 1lbs 10 once tech grade magnesium sulfate (epson salt) with 4 onze calcium chloride flake.

rsman
11/07/2004, 09:00 PM
io works fine for brine shrimp :D no need for fancy "other" salts

I do have a brine shrimp grow out / hatchery it is connected to a "culture" sump( algae/rotifers/artemia/copepods ...) which is connected to my main breeding system. the "culture" sump has fairly green water and a higher turnover between the culture tanks, while the main system is probibly 3X per day

most of my cultures are grown in rubbermade containers and have mechanical seperators.
I grow out a lot of brine shrimp :D

Bugger
11/08/2004, 06:33 PM
Can you post pic's
How do you get filtration without killing the shrimp?