PDA

View Full Version : LFS's

MadisonReef
01/27/2005, 12:02 PM
In a different thread, the local LFS bashing has begun again and as a longtime lurker on this site, I felt compelled to add my two cents on this topic. It is very fashionable to bash the LFS’s here and I would like to publicly acknowledge a store that is doing things which really separate itself from some of the others here in Madison. First some background; I lived in Madison from 1993-1998, moved to California for 6 years and have moved back to town in early 2004. I travel extensively for my job, and with that travel, I have extra time in cities across the country to visit LFS’s. I estimate I have seen 50+ stores over the years. Aquatic Specialties on University Avenue is one of the top 5 stores I have encountered. Let me be clear, I do not have any financial interest in any LFS, but am merely a customer who has seen a lot of stores and would like to acknowledge when a store is doing things right.

What makes for a good store?

1-Selection—recent visit to Aq.Spec.—Lubbocks Wrasse, Scott’s Fairy wrasse, Linneatus wrasse, chevron, purple, Sohal tangs. 3 or 4 tanks packed with coral. Frags from local customers, Frags from ORA. All clowns in the store were captive raised. On my last visit, the owner had just placed an order for a large new display reef tank for the front of the store. This should be pretty impressive.
2-Customer service. Knowledgeable/ethical staff. The guys at this store have helped me setup my 280 and I could not be happier with the advice they have provided. I saw the owner tell a customer point blank that he would not sell him a $150+ tang because he did not think the customer had the right setup for this fish.
3-Health of Livestock—Things are never perfect, but overall things are pretty darn good here compared to other stores. They have held fish for me any time I requested it, with no money down. Do you really believe that your online vendors, who are closed to the public, located in a warehouse never lose fish or have sick fish in their tanks? Many people will purchase fish sight unseen from these vendors and have no idea what the cleanliness/survival rates/attitude of employees towards the livestock is.
4- Reasonable Prices. I know I could have saved some money had I bought stuff online, but I have no problem paying a bit more to support stores like this. Rent is not cheap, even in a city the size of Madison. Before I moved to the West Coast in ‘97/98, the owner of Aquatic Specialties was there every time I stopped in. He must have worked 7 days a week for three or four years. He now has a staff of 4 or 5 people, but I still see him in the store 4 out of 5 times I stop in. This type of work ethic should not be discounted nor do I think anyone is getting filthy rich as often-portrayed on sites such as this.

I know this is a bit of a rant, but not all LFS’s are run by money grubbing owners or multinational corporations who hire the cheapest high school labor, who have no clue about the animals, don’t care if fish die, keep a dirty store, don’t label prices so that they can sell things at different prices to different customers based on their “read� of your experience, have aiptasia/flatworms in all tanks, and don’t know what they are talking about and are willing to sell their soul to make a buck.

This is just my opinion, and hope that this post is within the guidelines set forth by RC. I have no vested interest in any facet of Aquatic Specialties, nor do I have anything to say about the other stores here in Madison or the rest of the state, but I just wanted to say bravo to one store that is getting it done in a tough industry.

Ereefic
01/27/2005, 01:16 PM
We mainly deal with 2 stores in Madison on a pretty regular basis. Aquarium Superstore and Aquatic Specialties and have good relationships with both stores. They treat us well and in turn we give them our business.

We do stop at the other stores in town from time to time, and may pick something up if they have something we're looking for, it's not a regularly scheduled stop when we're up in Madison.

slug
01/27/2005, 01:29 PM
don’t label prices so that they can sell things at different prices to different customers based on their “read� of your experience

This is the #1 reason why I won't buy anything at Aquarium Superstore. I was quoted $120 for a small acro colony.

The #2 reason is rude treatment from the "younger guy".

moujon
01/27/2005, 03:34 PM
Well written! I agree – Aquatic Specialties is my favorite place to stop when I get into the area. And I guess I’ve never had a problem with any of the staff at Aquarium Superstore, but then I’ve not bought SW items there yet. Their FW prices are usually marked clearly. I must admit, when I’ve looked at the SW items- I thought it was odd that there isn’t at least a price list posted. I’m a firm believer in supporting my LFS- without them, how would I get some of those supplies that I need fresh- like DT’s?

There are some stores in the SE WI area from whom I will never purchase livestock. The majority of their tanks are almost always filthy. That is their business- they need to keep it looking good. I would no sooner buy from them than I would buy lunch from a restaurant with filthy serving counters. If the staff has time to stand around and chat with each other, then they have time to clean a tank or two. I will happily wait for someone to dry their hands if I need help. The place doesn't need to be fancy- just well tended.

I also try to stop in at LFS whenever we travel- even made it to Tropical Paradise in San Leandro this summer. Highly recommended by everyone I asked- but timing is everything- stock was low and several tanks were “off system� for quarantine. Had I not known better, I would have thought it was a crummy little place.

My only objection with any LFS (or any other local store) is when it is clear that I will be overcharged for a purchase with a price that I know to be out of line. I recently wanted to purchase a high-end canister filter for a large FW tank. I’m a good consumer so I did all my research before buying. I knew what I wanted and the average price of the unit. And keep in mind that I’m not cheap- but I need to make my purchases wisely so I have more money to spend on this hobby. :) I would have happily paid a little extra and bought locally. Most of the LFS & chain stores in the SE WI area were charging similar high prices (almost made me wonder if there was some price fixing going on)- with the exception of one popular Milwaukee store. They were not only more than all the others- they were more than double what I bought it for online. I don’t mind spending a bit more for the local convenience- but when the difference gets into triple digits (even with shipping) - you bet I’ll buy online. I don’t mind paying a little of the overhead, but that was ridiculously high. And it wasn’t a mistake- that was their advertised price! I guess they are hoping for impulse buyers.

Just my 2¢ (okay 7¢).

Nasomike
01/27/2005, 08:02 PM
I will admit that Aquatic Specialties is the only LFS in Madison that I have not been too. I have been to the others and there tanks are horrible. Very dirty and the fish look ill. I will stop in someday and check it out. Thanks.

BraenDead
01/27/2005, 08:54 PM
Aquatic Specialties is definately my favorite LFS as well - very well written by MadisonReef.

Moujon - I'm guessing that is the store on Hwy 100 (Aquatics Unlimited?) - their prices are always outrageously high.

Bob

tapper of spines
01/27/2005, 09:40 PM
Hey MadisonReef,

http://reefcentral.com/images/welcome.gif
To Reef Central

TOS

tapper of spines
01/27/2005, 09:51 PM
:mad2: Arrggghh. Well maybe someone else can do it correctly. Welcome to Reef Central MadisonReef.

TOS

moujon
01/27/2005, 10:13 PM
Braendead- no comment.

;)

Brad524
01/27/2005, 11:22 PM
glad too hear the good stuff

klasiksb
01/27/2005, 11:55 PM
Like Ereefic said, we like the two stores in madison. I have seen a lot of bad stores and I would not put them in that category. Are they perfect, no. Is there room for improvement, yes. Do they care about their customers, I would say yes!

fahz
01/28/2005, 12:01 AM
I agree whole heartly with Aquatic Specialties First class store and great staff. Stop there every time were in the area from Duluth. The freshwater tank he has by the front window sold my wife on trying a CO2 injected planted tank. The first corals I ever bought came from him and are still in my tank. Hope you guys know how lucky you are!!

Fahz

MalawianDude
01/28/2005, 12:13 AM
i have only stopped by animart, one on gammon road, and that shut down one, never been to this other one...

Brad524
01/28/2005, 02:35 PM
I've never been here either but plan on stopping by.

MalawianDude
01/28/2005, 02:43 PM
hm...any of u been down to aquatics unlimited on 108th street? that store is pretty impressive on FW there SW stuff is ok i guess can't get back there usually it's packed lol so could be good. That place is freakin huge.

Nasomike
01/28/2005, 03:22 PM
OK of the three main(or biggest) stores in Madison.

Are they horrible? NO
Are they bad? NO
Do they care about there customers? I'm sure
Would I buy and put one of there fish in my tanks? NO

I don't hate these stores. They do very well for getting the little things I need and keep me from ordering on line. Most do very well in other departments like dog or cat. They just need help in there saltwater dept.

MalawianDude
01/28/2005, 03:28 PM
LMAO, uh huh. Though one guy at animart (haven't been to other ones downtown area) manager but that's cuz he's a reefer at home....

Nasomike
01/28/2005, 03:37 PM
:lol: I know exactly who you are talking about. hehe

klasiksb
01/28/2005, 11:29 PM
Nasomike
The two stores I was talking about are strict fish stores, no dog or cat stuff :)

BraenDead
01/28/2005, 11:35 PM
big02daddy2002 (your name is really hard to type!)

They have a beautiful store (Aquatics Unlimited in Milw.), but the prices are outrageous and I frequently see rather unhealthy livestock in the tanks. It would make the store look much better if they cared for their livestock as much as they do the rest of the things.

Bob

MalawianDude
01/29/2005, 08:22 AM
yea it would, and totally overpriced i have same fish from there they wanted 60 bucks for, i got for 15 from the supplier of theirs..lol.

U can just call me BD much easier, i would like to change it but then i would have to start all over then and prolly confuse alot of people if i wanted name change. how do i get to this store on i think it's university..? like from east towne mall directions..

moujon
01/29/2005, 08:25 AM
Marty- ask the admin to change your ID- you retain your information- they just change your user name. I know a couple of people who have done that.

Do you know where Hilldale Mall is? Take the Beltline to Midvale Blvd, head toward campus. When you get to University Ave, take a right. Aquatic Spec. is in a strip mall on the north side of the road right before you get to Bagels Forever. I don't remember the cross street- Whole Foods Market is on the south side (right).

MiddletonMark
01/29/2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by klasiksb
The two stores I was talking about are strict fish stores, no dog or cat stuff :)

Yup, while I've been to one of the `mixed pets' stores from time to time ... I find their livestock often is far poorer than the `fish only' stores. Nevermind have you watched some of them catch fish [chase with net for 10 minutes + stress out]

MalawianDude
01/29/2005, 09:35 AM
ah thanx moujon, i will do that.

Meisen
02/03/2005, 03:37 PM
Moujon, is that a springer on your avatar? Did I already ask you that? Well, pretty dog nevertheless...if you want, bring him (?) by next time you come!!!! I miss my pup....

:)

Madison Reef, for the most part I agree with you, Aquatic Specialties is probably the best store in the area. I dont have the long term relationship there that you do so the treatment I get is likely different. Are there things to complain about? Sure. Is the shop better than many of the LFS around the country, sure. Are there shops that do everything right? Not that I have seen.....

Cant we still whine about it and hope somehow someone somewhere hears it though?

MalawianDude
02/03/2005, 03:46 PM
Hmm..not sure if this was already talked about, but has anyone noticed that Animal Adventures just happens to still be open and no longer shutting down and moving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! guess owner is in a bind and can't make up his mind about what he wants to do and that he has been acting weird, lol.

moujon
02/03/2005, 03:58 PM
Mark- he's a GSP. He loves to go for rides- unfortunately when he's out of the car/truck, all he wants to do is hunt constantly- birds/mice/whatever! Come on out and meet him and the Lab. How are you at throwing a tennis ball- over & over & ...??? I finally gave up and got a slingshot thrower.

As much as I appreciate the Madison stores for certain things, I still like my little store near me- they'll happily order what I need/want (within reason). Have some peppermint shrimp on order right now. It's nice, because they'll hold them for a week or two so I know that the critters are acclimated. They don't have a great selection, but it's reasonably priced. Plus they are always very friendly.

MalawianDude
02/03/2005, 04:00 PM
really? what store is in watertown that u deal with? always up for seeing a store i ain't been to yet.

moujon
02/03/2005, 04:07 PM
Not Watertown- Lincoln Tropical in Hartford. Right across from The Mineshaft on Hy 60 & Hy 83.

Watertown has one: "AFP Pets" on the corner of Water & Emmet Sts (downtown near the library). Last time I managed to make it in, they had just moved and were still setting SE tanks up. It's on my way home, I just never seem to be able to get in there.

MalawianDude
02/03/2005, 04:11 PM
o yea i know what ur talking about, in there everytime me and g/f in hartford since she's from there. Nice little shop on the corner. What does a cleaner shrimp run there?

There clowns are very reasonably priced too.

moujon
02/03/2005, 04:15 PM
Around $7-8. The DT's usually run about $20 for a big bottle. Maybe not the lowest prices around, but I'm happy to pay for the service that I receive from them.

Meisen
02/03/2005, 04:22 PM
LOL Moujon,

Yeah at least he returns the stuff you throw him... I usually have enough energy for at least 10 minutes of that.

moujon
02/03/2005, 04:27 PM
Well- the lab does- the GSP just points at it and looks at you like "You threw it, you get it."

elises
02/06/2005, 01:08 PM
i have mixed feelings about Aquatic Specialtys..
They usually have a good selection of fish but alot of times they look sick. Ive never gone there and NOT seen an itchy fish. I know they cant control what their suppliers send them, but i dunno....
The staff is great however.

Aquarium superstore is great, but at first my experiance wasnt too pleasant when i purchased my first fish, Medium/large Niger Trigger, for my 75g FOWLR- Things were good the first day, then i noticed white pimple type things on his chin (not ich) and everyday they were in different areas on its chin.. it was wierd. I emailed pictures to don but he wasnt sure. So i was a bit upset and brought it back to the fish store,
Don took the fish out of the bag and held it over one of their little tanks and took of the white stuff with his fingers and said 'there you go, it was just fungus" UM.. OH I SEE. i dont want the fish anymore. lol. I then realized it was the same type of fungus i saw him picking off a huma (sp?) trigger a few days earlier.
Then, he wouldnt refund me in full for the trigger even though the fish was FINE and they would sell it AGAIN for the same price i paid..

i dunno maybe thats normal? but they really wouldnt be losing out if they just refunded me all my money lol. NOt a big deal i guess.
Heres a picture.. (i love taking pix hehe)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/elisescivic1/poorbebe.jpg

Besides that ONE time, i love them. I bought my baby dogface from them and i am in LOVE!!! i also buy my premixed RO water there.
ok sorry for my long rant..

MalawianDude
02/06/2005, 01:36 PM
what does RO premixed SW go for there? i got couple gallons from animart and i tested SG, SG wasn't where it was supposed to be i ended up adding more salt to the gallons(glad i checked it out before i added to tank) so yea i am lookin elsewhere now for it....been debating about getting a garbage can and airstone using RO water and mixing salt in that way..in my storage closet.

Gosh i need my own place so i can get a RO/DI unit, lol.

elises
02/06/2005, 01:45 PM
honestly i dont remember ... They have fresh RO and the saltmixed... The fresh is prolly .55 cents a gallon and the salt is a few cents more.... either way its around the .50 - .70 cent range hehe

wrassie86
02/07/2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by slug
This is the #1 reason why I won't buy anything at Aquarium Superstore. I was quoted $120 for a small acro colony.

The #2 reason is rude treatment from the "younger guy".

Yup not listing prices.turns me off to any store.and i know the feeling about there quoting of prices.i went in there once and have never gone back.
But i never been to the other store listed here think i may stop in tommorow.Anyone know if they have any Naso tangs?

MalawianDude
02/07/2005, 09:43 PM
yea i know doesn't that bug that heck out of u? u wait around forever tryin to figure out the price of it! can easily write with washable marker on outside the price...geez. i waited for like 1/2 hr for someone to tell me price on a goby two weekends ago.

tapper of spines
02/07/2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by big02daddy2002
Gosh i need my own place so i can get a RO/DI unit, lol.

I need my own place to have an RO/DI unit? Don't tell my landlord. :smokin:

TOS

MalawianDude
02/07/2005, 09:56 PM
lol hmmm..they are in my apartment all the time :( i have bad bathroom always having to fix leaking something...

Hmm..my new duplex though i will be having one installed in basement on cold water line to washer :)

wrassie86
02/07/2005, 09:59 PM
yea i know doesn't that bug that heck out of u? u wait around forever tryin to figure out the price of it! can easily write with washable marker on outside the price...geez. i waited for like 1/2 hr for someone to tell me price on a goby two weekends ago.

And did you buy the goby after the wait? or feel that it was to exspensive.and they wasted a half hour of your life.

MalawianDude
02/07/2005, 10:06 PM
prolly coulda bagged him myself and walked out of there.......lol seemed to high priced for me, going to check out one down on university aquatic specialties or something? i think Shel gave me directions to get down there...just have to find them again, do u know their hours on saturday?

wrassie86
02/07/2005, 10:11 PM
Nope never been there.i was thinking i might go tommorow.i'm in search of a naso tang.but i see myself going to rhinelander for that.

MalawianDude
02/07/2005, 10:16 PM
ah. ur in area of waterloo, they got any good stores out that way?

wrassie86
02/07/2005, 10:27 PM
ah. ur in area of waterloo, they got any good stores out that way?

you've been to my house.no stores here, i have to go to madison or milwaukee or take the 2 hr drive to the 2 dr's

MalawianDude
02/07/2005, 10:31 PM
lol ok, *puttin UV down* o yea barebottem tank...with beautiful mandrin. Doh

drivin gets tiring, i was planning on going to chicago at end of month for the GCCA auction but am so tired of driving everywhere in IL for past two months i takin a break, so gotta find me a goby :) thanx for the rock, makes the tank look alot better and all fish in good health. What type of macroalgae is that hair grass looking stuff sticking straight up on the rock?

wrassie86
02/07/2005, 11:27 PM
I dont think i put UV down, cause i use Ozone.and may even add it also.manderine still doing great.
not sure what the grass is called,it stays very small in my tank and the fish eat it.
i know what you mean about the driving i used to do it to.not very much any more.my tank looks 10x better than when you saw it.im just waiting for it fill out now, and drive for choice pieces.

MalawianDude
02/07/2005, 11:29 PM
nice, that xenia frag that the coral beauty ate u know?he hasn't touched this grass stuff at all..so good sign i think ? hmm..would u like a coral eating angel? lol. them smaller corals ever make it since i been there?

Meisen
02/07/2005, 11:39 PM
Marty,

I dont know if I mentioned it to you before but its not hard to get a fitting to make your RO system go right on a faucet. Screw it on, make your water at night and screw it off in the am. Just make sure you have a big enough bucket!!!!

Thats my plan as soon as I get my RO system working again.

Mark

wrassie86
02/07/2005, 11:39 PM
yup there all starting to color up again, and growning pretty fast now.i will be adding a few bigger colony's as i find them.
my problems started when i let my r/o filters slip:rolleyes:

ohh and no coral eating fish for me:D i have a very large green starfish with atleast a 6 inch spread you have, that always knocks my frags over.

MalawianDude
02/07/2005, 11:40 PM
o really? nope didnt know that. now i know. would sure beat hauling premixed gallons around...

crabs are doing good, thanx, all up in that liverock already.

wrassie86
02/07/2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by wrassie86
yup there all starting to color up again, and growning pretty fast now.i will be adding a few bigger colony's as i find them.
my problems started when i let my r/o filters slip:rolleyes:

ohh and no coral eating fish for me:D i have a very large green starfish with atleast a 6 inch spread you can have, that always knocks my frags over.

wrassie86
02/07/2005, 11:45 PM
woops wrong button:)

MalawianDude
02/07/2005, 11:51 PM
hmm...maybe, i am prolly gonna turn 50g into sw now since i prolly gonna take that 400w pendant MH light figured be better on 50g then 29g lol.

wrassie86
02/07/2005, 11:51 PM
o really? nope didnt know that. now i know. would sure beat hauling premixed gallons around...

crabs are doing good, thanx, all up in that liverock already.

yup you can hook them up anywhere. mine is hooked up to where a shower head used to be in a shower we dont use.nice during the winter so the water can be heated alittle.

Meisen
02/08/2005, 12:14 AM
Rob,

FWIW, I would stay away from using warm water to make RO. Two reasons: If you have a water softener, the warm water is whats usually softened. This adds salts to it and will put incredible strain on your filters and membrane. Unless you dont mind swapping stuff out a lot, I would just go cold.
The other reason is that warm water picks up copper and other solutes from the water heater (ever empty one of these things out? ....Yech!!!!) and pipes.

My suggestion is to use a heater in the buckets if you really want to warm the water. Besides, you should let any water you use in the tank sit for 24 hours. This allows the water to reach equilibrium with reguards to C02, Nitrogen and O2. Otherwise, you can cause bubble formation in your fish, rock and corals not to mention that RO doesnt always get all the Cl out of the water.

Marty,

Glad the hermits are doing well. The carpets are coming for sure tomorrow so whenever works for you, lmk. Also, I forgot to ask you when you were here, did you still want that piece of live rock? I am just going to toss it in the sump either way but someone else asked about it and I am trying to build up some cash for the next frag swap ;) LMK on that too.

wrassie86
02/08/2005, 12:28 AM
Ive always used semi warm water(more cold) without problems.been at it for 6 years now.but 50 degree water is just as much of a strain IMHO.also my water may sit for a 2-3 weeks at a time since i mix in 32g food grade containers.Also as a tip i find that high silicate membranes are best for our water.

yes ive emptied more than my fair share of water heaters- i maintence a apt comminity.mine was cleaned out 2 mos ago:D

wrassie86
02/08/2005, 12:40 AM
Meisen
dont think i was being rude in my post.i was not, i have 6+ yrs of saltwater keeping and about 15 in fresh.but i'm not sure i buy into the whole water softner issue.as my membranes last 2-3 years and i only run semi warm during the winter and i've never had problems.and i do change alot of water.but i do run 1 micron filters and find rust to be a problem,warm or cold water.

Meisen
02/08/2005, 10:05 AM
Rob,

I didnt take that as rude at all, I hope you didnt take my post as such either. If its working for you and you arent using up membranes, stick with it. I always avoided using warm b/c our water guy advised me not to and the "common wisdom" was always so. I certainly can tell the difference between "softened" water and regular by taste (try making coffee with warm water!) so it seems reasonable that the membrane and filters are working harder in that instance.

You are right about water temp, 50 degrees would be pretty bad news I think. Remember too that water loses a good % of its dissolved gasses as it warms....water going from 50-78 is going to give off tons of micro-bubbles. I heated my 35 gallon rubbermaid to like 70 or so once the water was made and then used it without concern.

Wow this discussion is getting me pumped to rebuild my RO system and get a new rubbermaid going!!!!

Meisen
02/08/2005, 10:07 AM
Hey Rob, you dont know any Trek guys being a mountain biker from Waterloo, do ya?

Meisen
02/08/2005, 10:08 AM
Dang sorry to jack MadisonReef.....I thought this was a similar post I started and its ok to hijack your own threads I think.

:D

slug
02/08/2005, 10:22 AM
FWIW, I would stay away from using warm water to make RO. Two reasons: If you have a water softener, the warm water is whats usually softened. This adds salts to it and will put incredible strain on your filters and membrane. Unless you dont mind swapping stuff out a lot, I would just go cold.

Everything I've read says it is better to run softened water through your RO if you have a softener. It adds salts but they are easier for the membrane to remove then the sediments removed by the softener.

Meisen
02/08/2005, 10:26 AM
Could be slug, it seems to be working for Wrassie.....

wrassie86
02/08/2005, 11:04 AM
Everything I've read says it is better to run softened water through your RO if you have a softener. It adds salts but they are easier for the membrane to remove then the sediments removed by the softener.

thats because if the water is to cold as ours is during the winter,the membrane cant work at capacity.thus slows down water production and lets more waste through,and making the membrane work harder
and yes the rule of thumb is to not hook up after your softner.mine only works on hot water and it has to be pretty warm,hence 1 bag of salt a year.

So if your water is to cold,your membraine is strained and TDS go's up

if you warm the water just alittle you have great water production but alittle extra sediment from the water heater

so where do you win???

i win warming the water alittle and my TDS is lower than if i just used cold water.

slug
02/08/2005, 11:56 AM
and yes the rule of thumb is to not hook up after your softner

Where are you getting this information? Search for water softener here and every post I could find said it's preferable to run it after a softener.

Meisen
02/08/2005, 11:59 AM
I got my info from Culligan Man back in CT.....I never honestly thought to double check what he was telling me and I kind of think he would know...then again, your right on that a lot of posts suggest otherwise and it wouldnt be the first time an expert was wrong.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to do a TDS test before and after running it both ways. Whichever one nets the best scores is better. :D

slug
02/08/2005, 12:27 PM
Probably all cases are different and different factors with your water would determine what the best way to set it up is. I wasn't trying to say anyone is wrong, just that it isn't always the case that it is best not use the softener.

I run mine after my softener and it works great. I haven't had to replace my DI cartridge in 6 months, before when I ran it without the softener I had a lot of trouble going through DI resin really fast. I guess it all depends on your water.

Meisen
02/08/2005, 01:45 PM
Right, thats what I was saying too, a simple test should tell you if one is better than the other in your particular system.

wrassie86
02/08/2005, 02:18 PM
Where are you getting this information? Search for water softener here and every post I could find said it's preferable to run it after a softener.

that used to be the rule of thumb and i belive still is according to Randy,but like i said i never bought into it at all.and theres alot of mixed feelings on the salt ions it adds.

but to put this thread back on track i just got back from aquatic specialtys.and its a nice store.of coarse i had to buy a acro frag :D

Meisen
02/08/2005, 03:04 PM
LOL thanks for rerailing it Rob.....Yeah I was really liking the little Rainford's they had there last night. I am a bit skeptical that one would be able to hang on in my rough and tumble reef though. Great fish for a nano though!!! The multicolored acro gobies also caught my eye....although they had already sold a couple of the coolest ones, there were still 2 left when I looked. Do those things irritate corals with their constant attention or what? I am pretty much just in frags right now so I can imagine they would take the attention poorly....

wrassie86
02/08/2005, 04:24 PM
ya i really liked the acro gobies to.but i have enough problems with out the irritation from the fish

slug
02/09/2005, 12:56 PM
wrassie86,

Animart on the east side has a naso tang. I'm not up on fish so I don't know how healthy it is.

MalawianDude
02/09/2005, 01:25 PM
prolly not all that good, manager is on vacation.......lol.

wrassie86
02/09/2005, 09:28 PM
wrassie86,

Animart on the east side has a naso tang. I'm not up on fish so I don't know how healthy it is.

ya i got excited when i found it after 3 stores.but nun the less it had ick on its fins.
tommorow i'm gonna see what can find in milwaukee

wrassie86
02/09/2005, 09:29 PM
prolly not all that good, manager is on vacation.......lol.

Seems he is always on vacation.

MalawianDude
02/09/2005, 09:37 PM
lol, yea doesn't it? i take fish over there, last i heard this vacation is on a cruise...

Let me know how it goes down in milwaukee, u plan on hitting aquatics unlimited?

wrassie86
02/09/2005, 09:43 PM
I know they will have one for sure,so i will have stop,but there prices kill me.i asked the manager a few years ago why there fish were so exspensive.and i was i told it was because they quarintine for 2 weeks,to make sure i get the healthist fish:rolleyes: while thats a good plan i dont see it as a good reason to mark up 50% higher than all the other stores..and most of the fish i have bought there have died in no time:(

wrassie86
02/09/2005, 09:47 PM
your more than welcome to come along,if ya want.

BraenDead
02/09/2005, 09:51 PM
I've seen dates on their tanks showing that fish had arrived the same day I saw the fish -- unless that is the day coming out of QT?

Either way, I have seen just as many dead fish at A.U. as either of the A.S. stores in Madison.

Bob

wrassie86
02/09/2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by BraenDead
I've seen dates on their tanks showing that fish had arrived the same day I saw the fish -- unless that is the day coming out of QT?

Either way, I have seen just as many dead fish at A.U. as either of the A.S. stores in Madison.

Bob

ya thats just it,i dont belive that they qaurintine every fish.maybe the sick ones.theres only a few tanks in the back rooms.

MalawianDude
02/09/2005, 10:01 PM
I wish i could..but have my own shopping here to do...baby shopping...

I agree they are indeed way overpriced, i have a fish that only costs around 15-20 they were selling 65 bucks! glad i know their suppliers :)

Wrassie i was thinking about that mixture u said about salt.., what purpose was that again? the heat salt stuff..

wrassie86
02/09/2005, 10:08 PM
that was "Prestone driveway heat" for a calcium additive,it works great.one bag should last you till next winter.2 for me:D
look in Randys forum for the homemade 2 part alk and calcium additives.between baking soda and prestone i save a ton of money.

MalawianDude
02/09/2005, 10:19 PM
yea, is it on this page?
http://reefcentral.com/diy/?s=&menu=12

wrassie86
02/09/2005, 10:25 PM
not sure try this page

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102605

under

A Homemade Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Additive System

MalawianDude
02/09/2005, 10:42 PM
Thanx, wasn't even on right page. I will read through it, see what i can rig up, i will be making a 20L unless i can fit a 30L under the 50g..for a sump/refugium.

wrassie86
02/09/2005, 10:52 PM
i have a regular 20g kicking out in my garage, now that i think about it.if anybody wants it.along with a plastic box that fits in it for bio balls.and pad filtration.

fahz
02/10/2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Meisen
LOL thanks for rerailing it Rob.....Yeah I was really liking the little Rainford's they had there last night. I am a bit skeptical that one would be able to hang on in my rough and tumble reef though. Great fish for a nano though!!! The multicolored acro gobies also caught my eye....although they had already sold a couple of the coolest ones, there were still 2 left when I looked. Do those things irritate corals with their constant attention or what? I am pretty much just in frags right now so I can imagine they would take the attention poorly....

Just a note on acro gobies OK for acro colonies but not for frags and they are hard on millies also. They love to keep the millie polyps trimmed.

Fahz

fahz
02/10/2005, 01:04 AM
Thought you guys might find this interesting.

Fahz

COMING THIS SPRING. . .
Drs. Foster & Smith's Aquacultured Coral Facility
in Rhinelander, Wisconsin!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
You've come to trust LiveAquaria.com for offering the
widest variety of tank-raised aquatic life from suppliers
that share our respect for the world's fragile reefs. In
fact, we've spent years seeking out eco-friendly choices
for the conscientious aquarist from around the globe. Now
we've decided to grow that philosophy closer to home.

Soon reef hobbyists will find their favorite eco-friendly
frags available year round, all personally propagated,
grown-out, and SigNature-shipped direct from Drs. Foster &
Smith's LiveAquaria.com operation in Rhinelander, Wisconsin.
Construction has begun on our new state-of-the-art aqua-
culture facility, scheduled to begin operating in late
Spring 2005. This hi-tech facility will employ the most
sophisticated technology in lighting, filtration, water
movement, and quarantine systems to ensure you receive
the most hardy, vibrant and healthy coral frags for your
home aquarium. All shipped direct to your door and backed
by our 14-Day Arrive-Alive, Stay-Alive Guarantee.

Drs. Foster & Smith's corals will be propagated from some
of the most beautiful and fastest growing brood stock, most
of which have been acclimated to aquarium conditions for
multiple generations. This gives you the wonderful opportunity
of developing a mature-looking reef aquarium in a relatively
short amount of time, while playing an important role in
reducing the impact on one of our most valuable resources,
coral reefs.

Meisen
02/10/2005, 08:25 AM
Fahz,

Yeah that was my suspicion....that they would be too much on the frags. I didnt know they trim millis either...thanks.

The Drs Foster & Smith thing sounds exciting though I wonder how it will actually work out. Would be cool to take trip up there once they are setup and check out their systems.

MalawianDude
02/10/2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by wrassie86
Seems he is always on vacation.

O i get it now!

LOL, see what happens from sleep deprivation.

Brad524
02/10/2005, 02:11 PM
hey guys,
Do any of you know if an lfs in madison
has a lettuce nudibranch ?

wrassie86
02/10/2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Brad524
hey guys,
Do any of you know if an lfs in madison
has a lettuce nudibranch ?

i hit them all on tuesday and did'nt see any,but i think most stores get there stuff on thursdays

Brad524
02/10/2005, 03:43 PM
ok I have yet to visit AS in madison

does anybody have thier address
which ever has more and better fish and coral

I can use mapquest instead of following someone's directions
think they got some new stuff today?

moujon
02/10/2005, 03:50 PM
Brad- which one- Aquatic Superstore or Aquatic Specialties? They are both pretty easy to find.

Meisen
02/10/2005, 08:20 PM
Brad,

I have a couple lettuce nudis. Are you going to be at the next MARS meeting?

Aquatic Specialties is on University about 1 mile past (west of) the UW. Its in a little strip mall on the right hand side just before you get to Copps/Borders/Walgreens.

Aquarium Superstore is on Gammon rd right off the Beltline. Take the Gammon rd exit, turn left and its right down on the right hand side.

Mark