PDA

View Full Version : Icecap VHO on a budget. Need Help

ojreef
12/17/2001, 01:40 AM
Hi all,

I would really like to go to Icecap VHO's for my 72GL Bowfront reef tank.

I can get the Icecaps, ballasts,endcaps, etc. for about $331.00. Then I'm lost as to what to do. I don't know how to put the parts together, need reflector? Box and fans etc. I really don't think I want a hanging fixture.

The above price includes four 110 watt bulbs. Do you think I need 3 or four bulbs. Note: the ends of the bow front are 12" wide and 48" long.

I'm really open to suggestions. I want to do it right but, as inexpensive as I can.

Any suggestions or does anyone have a vho set-up for sale?

ericb
12/24/2001, 12:36 PM
Hal,

I would recommend getting four bulbs. You'll need the additional light if you're going to have SPS or clams. IMHO, even if you think you won't want those, at some point (6 months or a year from now) you're going to see something that you really want. Then, you'll find out that you don't have enough light to keep it. Better to have too much light than not enough. You can always turn off a bulb, but you can't turn on a bulb you don't have. Also, definitely, get the reflector.

Do you have a canopy? You'll need something to mount the lights in. Either a canopy or a hanging fixture. Just mount the endcaps at either end of the canopy, attach the wires from the ballasts to the endcaps. Attach other end of ballast to electrical cord, and you're ready to go.

Come to the next meeting. It's at Steven C's house, and I think he has (or had) VHO. I'll look around and see if I have a diagram that I could either email to you, or I'll bring to the next meeting.

HTH,
Eric

Jerry Gonzales
12/24/2001, 11:14 PM
LOL,
Hal's been with us since our very first meet. :D

ericb
12/25/2001, 11:22 AM
Lo siento Jerry - I've <only> been with RMRC since the 3rd meeting, but I'm not on the message boards much. Haven't yet put email addresses with faces.

BTW - I just noticed that the next meeting has been changed. (Or am I high? :bum: I know it said Steve's house last week.)

Just trying to help when I can,

Eric

Jerry Gonzales
12/26/2001, 08:59 AM
Yeah, It's going to be t John's house in Longmont. I didn't think that they knew if John was ready or not. He gave them a call and we will be going there. He was in the process of building his tank up. Also if the weather is right we might have a cookout:cool: well see ya there, Jerry

Westwood
12/26/2001, 04:11 PM
Hi. I recently wired my hood. I purchased the endcaps, ballast (model 660), etc. from Mile High Aquariums. The folks there were very helpful. Then I went to a local electrical shop and managed to get the wire for free. I think I got about 18 feet of each color in the wiring harness that came with the ballast. That was way more than I needed but at least I didn't have problems with not having enough wire. I'm not using a reflector at this point because the URI bulbs have a built in reflector. I might add one later. So far, no problems. I butt spliced the wires together. Used electrical splicing kit as if wiring a car stereo. Used some wire ties to keep everything neat and organized. Check out this site for a wiring diagram. http://www.icecapinc.com/wire660-4.htm I purchased a 3 prong cord from HD for use with a power tool (drill, etc.) to tie into the green, black, and white wires in the harness and went from there. It took me about two hours and it worked the first time I plugged it in. Just take your time and lay everything out before you splice anything. Also get the plastic brackets to hang the tubes from. Good luck.