PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy

griffey83
01/25/2005, 07:22 PM
Ok my Euro Reef Skimmer has been going crazy for the past 24 hours and all that I did different to the tank was epoxy some new frags. Has anyone experienced there skimmer going crazy when they do this? In the past I have epoxied one or two frags but this time I did five.

To help fix the problem I have already changed my carbon, was 3 weeks old anyways, in hopes to calm things down. As of now I have shut the skimmer off becuase it was just foaming so much that it was filling the collection cup with clear tank water.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Griffin

SunDragon
01/25/2005, 08:24 PM
I think you did all you can do. I use the aquastick two part epoxy, but my euroreef never does that.

griffey83
01/25/2005, 08:35 PM
I am also now noticing that I am getting micro bubbles in my sump too when it is running. I am guessing I should probable pull the whole skimmer out and make sure everything is ok. Kinda hard to see everything when it is under the tank.

AQUAN8TOR
01/26/2005, 02:41 AM
You've probably already done it, but if you haven't, don't bother taking it out. A decent amount of epoxy will make a skimmer overflow. My beckett goes a little nuts when I glue frags, and a lot nuts when I glue several frags. This is normal.

rick s
01/26/2005, 06:37 AM
My Turbofloater 1000 also goes nuts when I use epoxy. In fact I used some the night before last, right before I went to bed. I knew it would overflow overnight so I turned the skimmer off.

When I got home after work (about 19 hours later) I turned the skimmer on and it went nuts for the same amount of time as it usually does if I leave it run right after I put epoxy in.

Mine usually returns to normal after about 4 hours. You can either keep an eye on your collection cup and plan on emptying it often, or tune down the amount of bubbles it makes for the duration so you get less very, very wet (water) with them.

griffey83
01/26/2005, 08:38 AM
Would a water change be suggested by anyone too?

strictly marine
01/26/2005, 08:44 AM
Not really gonna help too much because its only gonna take out a fraction of the stuff that is making the skimmer go crazy. Just put the raiser bar as low as possible and let the skimmer calm down.

Charlie Davidson
01/26/2005, 08:59 AM
My cal. reactor is not dialed in yet and I added some calcium last night , skimmer went nuts! go figgure!!! I Hope it did not pull $5 of calcium back out!!

griffey83
01/26/2005, 06:38 PM
Well I turned my Euro Reef Skimmer back on after 24 hours of new carbon and also took off the riser pipe to make it at its lowest poistion possible. The good news is that my skimmer is not overflowing into the collection cup today. It is still going crazy but no where as crazy as it was last night. I guess tomorrow I will try to add the riser pipe back and see what happens. Any other advise or experience with this would appreciated.

AQUAN8TOR
01/26/2005, 10:25 PM
Just a thought, but as I was re-reading your post, it dawned on me. I continue kneading the epoxy long after it is mixed---until it starts to get a little firm. I don't know the chemistry behind it, but I do know that a chemical reaction is taking place when the epoxy is mixed. For example, if you use the 5-minute Devcon epoxies available at about any hardware store, you'll notice the reaction is exothermic---it gets very warm when mixed. Perhaps some of the compounds that are released as the epoxy is mixed is causing the extra foaming. Mine always returns to normal within an hour or two. Just my thoughts.