PDA

View Full Version : cardinals expecting again..

Sally
12/14/2001, 04:33 PM
After holding eggs for 28 days my male cardinal fish released 5 babies last Saturday. Knowing that he had not eaten for 28 days..since Sunday I have been feeding him several times a day. Today I noticed he is holding eggs again. Has anyone else had an experience like this where the fish was holding again so soon? He was only without eggs for 5 days..and now he has them again. What are the chances of him carrying to term? Thanks for your help. BTW, all 5 babies are doing great.

Guy
12/14/2001, 07:19 PM
Mine did this 4 months in a row, back to back.

It finally dawned on me that the female was bigger than the male BECAUSE HE WAS STARVING! LOL He carried all of the fry to term each time. Now I seperate them for a few weeks to bulk up the male before letting the famale have her way with him.

FMarini
12/14/2001, 07:39 PM
Congrats on your brood.....
Yup this is very common and i wrote about it here http://www.eparc.com/banggai/banggai.shtml

In essence the female will mate w/in 1 week on having the male release. So as Guy mentioned, and I always would seperate the male after his release for a at least one week to fatten him up, else he gets skinnier and skinnier each progressing month....w/ th epossible outcome of him eventually prematurely releasing a clutch due to his possible starvation.
Good luck w/ the fry...
try to get prawn eggs
frank