PDA

View Full Version : Sump Ideas

Rpierce
01/21/2005, 10:10 AM
I am looking for some sump ideas. I am having some heat issues with my internal pump and am looking for ways to use an external pump. I was looking at having a sump built but that is a little expensive.

Does anyone have any pics of their sumps (that are using external pumps)? I know we all take pictures of our tanks, but usually not our sump.

Any ideas???

Let me know.

Thanks in advance

Rick

chad508
01/21/2005, 01:51 PM
you should be able to drill any tank on the side for a pump with no problem. i use a internal pump so my sump won't help you any. what if you was to just raise the pump out of the water with something and install a pipe to the suction side. just an idea

Rpierce
01/21/2005, 01:58 PM
I thought about something like that but would I have to re-prime the pipe each time I cut the pump off? Just a thought.

Rick

tomterreefic
01/21/2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Rpierce
I thought about something like that but would I have to re-prime the pipe each time I cut the pump off? Just a thought.

Rick
You maybe could try adding a check valve to prevent gravity from pulling the water back down. Probably pick one up from Lowes or any plumbing supply place.

chad508
01/21/2005, 06:38 PM
that would be my same thoughts

bugshop
01/21/2005, 09:54 PM
I don't like the raised pump or the check valve idea.
I've heard too many bad things about both.

Rick, what kind of pump are you running?

Have you tried a fan blowing onto your sump?

what if any type of cooling do you ave on your tank?

Timmy

Rpierce
01/22/2005, 10:30 PM
I use a Surge 7500 right now for the return pump.

I have a 6 inch fan blowing on the sump. I have two 3 inch fans blowing on my metal halides (that work like "crap"). Other than that I don't have any type of cooling.

Any suggestions

phishguy78
01/22/2005, 11:36 PM
rick try running lights couple of hours early and a couple of hours later with actinic all time run one hm for a while then another one for a while try maybe suggestions willl help

joey.davis
01/23/2005, 04:59 PM
if you want to put a raised pump in the sump you can you dont need a check valve you can plumb it like a toilet set the pump on a stand come out from the pump to u shaped pvc going down the a u going over in to the sump kinda like an s on its side that it will keep water in your pump when you turn it off kinda like a trap that youwill see under your sink for your drain just a crazy idea =)

chad508
01/23/2005, 08:02 PM
i would think for that to work the s trap would have to be higher than the tank itself. i may be wrong though.

H2OLUVSME
01/23/2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Rpierce
I use a Surge 7500 right now for the return pump.

I have a 6 inch fan blowing on the sump. I have two 3 inch fans blowing on my metal halides (that work like "crap"). Other than that I don't have any type of cooling.

Any suggestions

what kind of 3" fans are you using? they have some cheap CPU fans at the Surfside CPU over by Pet Center.

Rpierce
01/24/2005, 11:38 AM
I am using the CoralVue fans. They stop all the time for no apparent reason. If I unplug them and plug them back in, they turn back on. I need to try something else, thanks

RP

bugshop
01/24/2005, 09:26 PM
I'd start with new fans.
How far is your lights from the water?

What is you water temp?
is there a temp swing from day and night?

Timmy