PDA

View Full Version : Horrible things.....

AQUAN8TOR
01/19/2005, 12:57 PM
So, I'm finally of sane and stable enough mind to tell everyone about my misfortunes as of late.

I went away this past weekend to spend time with a girl I'm dating, and came back to a nasty odor upon opening my front door.

To my surprise, I heard no water sounds. Took a couple minutes, but what I found was this:

a pump in my xenia culture (CA 800) apparently seized, overheated, and cracked. It tripped a GFCI (thank god it didn't start a fire), which caused my battery backup to kick on. What I didn't take into account was....I have my lights and heater on a different circuit than the GFCI. The battery backup has about 30 hrs or so of power. (3x120 Amp-hour lead-acid batteries and a Tripp-Lite APS-612). The backup ran out of power before I returned home. During such time, since the return pump stopped working, the heater probe in the sump registered cold, and turned on the heater. Problem is, the heater is 18" long and won't fit between the baffles in my sump. I had placed it in my 110g, which reached 96 degrees. Needless to say, mass death.

Every fish, shrimp, many snails, and many corals are gone from my 110. Several acroporas in the other tanks are also gone, and all my xenia. I've changed the equivalent of the entire volume a couple times over; it no longer looks like skim milk. I neglected to mention that after I got the returns moving again that all of my 10 clams decided to spawn due to the stress. It looked like someone poured a cup (or gallon) of milk into the system. Extra nutrients galore.

I guess this is a lesson in buying quality, but I can't really afford to buy streams for everything. Cmoresps is a hero for letting me bring all my sps that survived to his system sunday night for temporary housing.

I'd like to leave some profound words of wisdom, but I don't have any. Just don't be careless, and guano happens!! (My band actually has an album of that title). I'm just thankful I didn't have a fire.:)

Bass Master
01/19/2005, 01:13 PM
What's the name of your band? Where you playing next? You going to be at the frag swap? What you bringing? Just thought I would add to the stress with a bunch of frivilous (spelling) questions. No need to respond, just messing with you. see you later.

The Master of Bass

AQUAN8TOR
01/19/2005, 01:17 PM
The band is actually out of Charlottesville area. We are the Guano Boys, as in bat shtuff, or "really good ****" as we define it on the CD cover. We're playing at Starr Hill in Charlottesville on 3/11/05. visit www.guanoboy.com to hear samples.

I won't be bringing anything to this swap, unfortunately. I don't even know if I can host in February or not. So much death, so little money to replace things.....

manderx
01/19/2005, 01:54 PM
as soon as you're ready, i'll donate a bunch of frags to get you back up and running.

Bass Master
01/19/2005, 02:12 PM
Mandrex, you're alright. Looking forward to that red cap. Later.

AQUAN8TOR
01/19/2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks, everyone. I won't be ready for a while. I'm going to leave everything at Tom's for a week or so, then move everything back. I just don't want to add too much before I know that everything is ok.

will_w
01/19/2005, 05:03 PM
Man... Sorry to hear about the loss that has to be tough.

hisc1ay
01/19/2005, 06:02 PM
Man, that sucks, I can frag my xenia and give you back some of that GSP I got from you when you're ready to add more stuff. :)

-j

AQUAN8TOR
01/19/2005, 06:04 PM
GSP's will probably be ok. It's closed still, but I imagine it will be alright within a few more days.

cmoresps
01/19/2005, 09:40 PM
Did I mention I was running a sale on recently acquired spectular sps? lol, just kidding, glad I could help

AQUAN8TOR
01/19/2005, 11:30 PM
I can't thank you enough, Tom. You are a life....err, coralsaver!!

Charlie Davidson
01/20/2005, 09:50 AM
Females, always causing problems.. (we have no control)

Charlie Davidson
01/20/2005, 05:12 PM
Nate, I have my 125g EMT right now. I was about to drain and store away for sale. I am more that willing to hold/ store anything you may need!!! ( maybe a little to late of an offer- but) lighting sucks/I moved M/H to new tank- still great filteration running on it!!

I have alot of the small snails that come from Hawaii left to help you start back- and some of the small stars- most people like them- heard reports of them eating SPS but- I have had no problems with hem!!!!

AQUAN8TOR
01/21/2005, 01:28 AM
I'll take you up on the small snails but not the stars. They definitely eat coralline algae. Even after massive water changes, I've got incredible algae growing all of the sudden. Guess it's extra strong without the at least 20-25 trochus which died. I'm going to stop talking about the dead stuff soon, I promise. I'm just not through venting yet.

strictly marine
01/21/2005, 07:59 AM
It took me about 2months of battling with hair algea after the hurrican of last year. Hope it won't take you as long as me.

Charlie Davidson
01/21/2005, 09:35 PM
Vent away! I am so glad to have met you guys!! Nate, you are one of the coolest ( is that a word) people, I have met in years!
I am one of those that have to work removing snow, so I figgure I will be at work Sunday. just look at tank walls right now, I see 25 snails( sure there is 2x that) - I delete most PMs if you want them tomorrow- Phone#, Please!