PDA

View Full Version : FW Aquarium Closing

DAS Dude
12/13/2001, 03:45 PM
For better or worse, this came off of the Fox 4 news website today.

(FORT WORTH, December 12) -- You only have a few weeks left to see the aquarium at the Fort Worth zoo. Officials there are planning to tear it down to build a new reptile exhibit. The aquarium was built nearly 50 years ago and now has major structural problems. The zoo says its roof is unsafe and workers have had to rig pumps to get rid of the water because the drains don't work. The city had originally planned to give the zoo $1.3 million in bond money to make repairs. But the zoo is asking that money instead be used to replace its reptile facility. Fort Worth Zoo Director Michael Fouraker said, "We think we can take that money and build a herpetarium. Herpetariums cost 200 dollars per square feet to build and aquariums cost five to six thousand dollars. That's why we think we can build a nice new herpetarium for that money." The aquarium will be open until January 13. The zoo does not plan to build a new one.

Modo
12/13/2001, 05:33 PM
I saw the same story last night. The reporter mentioned that the animals would be going to other zoos and aquariums. Does anyone know if this is going to include the Dallas Aquarium @ Fairpark?

Brad Ward
12/14/2001, 05:20 PM
Yeah, There goes one place I wanted to hold meetings at. It was old and needed to retire. I would be amazed if they didn't give as much as possible to Dallas because of distance. I doubt they have enough room for all of it, so they will have to box and ship quite a bit I am sure.

End of an era.

alf3482
12/15/2001, 11:22 AM
:( Sad is't it?