PDA

View Full Version : percula clowns

nameless
12/13/2001, 01:13 PM
I bought two tank raised percs from the lfs last night. I want to breed them, but I don't know if they'll pair up or not. So far (about 20 hours) there have been no signs of aggresion. The one that I'm hoping is female is about 1/4 inch longer than the other and a bit chunkier as well.

If they're both still male, will one turn into a female?

How can I tell if they've become a 'pair' and how long does that typically take?

What are the signs of stress I should watch for that indicate they can/will not pair up?

BTW, I have a 75 gallon tank with about 80 lbs of rock and no other fish yet, so they have PLENTY of space. They seem to like each other's company so far, though.

Thanks for any advice!!!!

FMarini
12/13/2001, 04:39 PM
Hi:
thanks for the question...
i can recommend you purchase Joyce Wilkersons book on "Clownfish". It goes into great detail about all the Q? you asked as well as how to raise the fry.

W/ that said, 2 fish will often times pair up, the larger more dominant one will become female and she will control the roost. It will take some time, as they grow, when they reach sexual maturity (6months), then you'll notice a visible size difference, and you'll quickly figure out who-is-who.

If you observe one fish constantly being beat-up or harassed out then this is a great indication coupling will not occur.
You tank sounds fantastic.

Just make sure there are flat rock work around their anemone or whatever coral they reside in...this is where they will set eggs, and if you want to raise these fry, then we'll have to talk about removing these eggs and raising rotifers
good luck
frank

nameless
12/13/2001, 05:23 PM
sweet.

thanks.

chromis
12/16/2001, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by FMarini
Hi:

If you observe one fish constantly being beat-up or harassed out then this is a great indication coupling will not occur.

Hmm, I have had my tank raised percs for almost 5 months now and there is no visible difference in size. They seem "friendly" with each other and I hand feed them, and for the most part they stick togehter. They do however like to play tag. One will rapidly chase the other to the side of the tank(4 feet) and they will on occasion, peck at each other, but it is rare. Does this sound like 2 males? 2 females? A pair? I do have pics if it will help.

thanks,
Andrew