PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse's

alf3482
12/13/2001, 12:40 PM
Alright I have been researching seahorse's and as usual everyone has a diffrent opinon and all the info i read is conflicting. Can any of you guy's tell me the short of the enviroment they need. I have 40 gal 36" long and 17" high. I want to connect this tank to and existing system, meaning overflow to the sump and refugium and return back to the new 40 gal. I will only put a small amount of sand and rock because i can depend on the existing rock and refugium that exist already. any good or bad comments and suggestions please.

reefmkr
12/14/2001, 10:27 AM
Robert,

Try http://www.seahorse.org let me know if the link dosen't work...

Hows your tnak doing?

alf3482
12/14/2001, 11:06 AM
Reefmkr, Whats up? The new 120 is doing great! I am finaly out of the hair algea stage, added a few fish now and couple of sps frags to see how they will do for now.
Thanks for the link. I have been to this site a lot the last few weeks. The only thing that i have been able to confirm as diffrent from the reef is that there is talk of temp difference. Suggested is 75 to 78 degrees. I run my reefs at 80. Wanted to see if anyone in the club is doing it at reef temps or is the temp diffrence bogus. so far this is my major concern. every thing else seems to be the same as the reef enviroment. If the temp difference is bogus i'm ok. But at seahorse .org they seem to think it is all they can handle. but doing this as long as I have with the reefs i have found that there is someone out there doing it different , with sucsess. I want to attach this 40 to the 120 gal sump and refugium, so i don't have a completely diffrent setup, that you have to tinker with and water changes. Simplicity is what i'm trying to achive. Thanks. Do you know of anyone keeping seahourses??????

reefmkr
12/14/2001, 11:36 AM
Sorry Robert, I don't know anybody has seahorse tank.
I don't think you could plum those two tank together, some thing about the hydroide on the live rock could me problem, but I could be wrong.

Brad Ward
12/14/2001, 05:27 PM
Alf,

They should be fine at reef temps. They are in the Intercoastal waterway where I am from, and the water gets quite warm in the Summer. Most seahorse tanks are not as well aerated as reef tanks and that is probably the reason for their concern.

They prefer gorgonian blades and plants as hold fasts and most can be weaned to enriched dead brine shrimp. I have kept them before and Chris Jardine is hot and heavy with them right now. We held the meeting at his house not too long ago.

hth,

Brad

alf3482
12/15/2001, 09:29 AM
Thanks Brad. That is what i needed to hear.