PDA

View Full Version : Very Unhappy Day

JEMichael IV
12/13/2001, 02:33 AM
Well, everythings finally up and running everyones in and looks like they are doing fine. But there were some deaths. For people that did not know, I moved my 100G Reef from the 3rd floor to the 1st floor. Why everyone was in the awesome rubbermaid container that I got from Ed my Mono past away, and I lost 1 cleaner shrimp and 1 coral banded shrimp. I also lost my Diamond Goby. My ancor coral is not doing so well, and I lost my Elephant Ear, and my flower pot did not look so well when I pulled him out. But now in the tank he is open with about 30-40% of him gone, but hopefull the rest of him will live.

I am a little worried about the tank going through a cycle. I used some of my water probably around 40-50 gallons but I was worried about the water being really bad.

Got my 250lbs of SD in and everything finally settled enough. I wanted to say that I tried the trashbag idea, plate idea, everything. But I came up with another idea. I used a orange Home Depot bucket lid and as I put the water in it landed on that, and as the water got higher the bucked floated with it. There was no sandstorm using this method. If anyone is going to switch there tank, I would strongly suggest using this method.

I got all my liverock in 3 days ago and still have nylons of CC in the tank (you will probably still see them when you come to the Jan meeting as from what I read they should stay in there for 3-4 weeks.

I am very happy and pleased with the look of my tank, I dont know why I did not do it sooner! CC is just some ugly stuff compared to SD sand. I did not rinse it, as Jerry told me be PATIENT! Let me tell you, it was hard as I am a very impatient person :) I might have had some loses but I think it was worth it.

Overall move, and resuporting of the cabinet and building a 6inch raised stand to fit on the cabinet took around a week and a half. I was hesitant to put everything in the tank as it was so cloudy and I had the 70gallon rubbermaid holding everything and I thought it would be fine. But I think the problems got caused when the shrimp and diamond goby died and there was no way for me to tell unless I took everything out. I am guessing that the water quality got messed up with that. Good think I put my hermits in there also :)

I am going to go know as I am going to be drilling the rubbermaid with 1inch bulkheads to plum into my sump.