PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Want A Rock Crab?

tlc
12/12/2001, 10:19 PM
i live in colorado but will ship if you pay shipping...

Aquatic Reef Creations
12/12/2001, 10:36 PM
Hi,
Would you happen to have any pictures?
Kevin

tlc
12/12/2001, 10:39 PM
i can try to get a pic tomorrow. it looks like an emerald crab only much larger and is fuzzy with a burgundy color. he is a killer. i have a thread going on in reef discusssion about how it ate many of my fish....

JEFF SCHENSE
12/13/2001, 04:37 PM
Your crab sounds similiar to the one I have. Mine has eaten 4 fish and has ripped the appendages off the Mithrax crab.

Mine is however brownish with long pincher arms and legs. Same body shape as the Mithrax. It moves fast for a crab.

As soon as I catch it, its going into my sump. Its an excellent scavengerand omnivore.

Ordered a snap trap from Pet Warehouse to try to catch him.

Good Luck

clutchcargo
12/14/2001, 02:16 AM
I'm guessing you used aquacultured rock.
I didn't want to kill mine either, even after he caused all kinds of havoc on the occupants. He had $35 seafood dinner before I kicked his *** out. I guilted the LFS into taking him off my hands. Now he sits in a tank that's marked "this crab is evil" on the glass. Good luck unloading him.
I read your thread about him in the other forum and I like the idea of dropping him in the LFS's display tank. Or if your LFS has a trigger "for sale" tank, ask them to drop him in.

quiteallright14
12/17/2001, 12:02 PM
so does anyone have any luck with these guys? I have two and they haven't bothered any of my fish. they stay hidden most of the time but they do a hell of a job eating the new ditrus each night. They look like a cartoon half-way in half-way out mouth open wide shoveling in sand. They never seem to bother my fish, but i wondered why the LFS GAVE them to me?....huummm.

billzie
12/23/2001, 01:41 PM
I was also a victim of one of these. I came off of LR from TBS, they told me that they were emeralds, well, one of them wiped out nearly all of my small fish, hermits, snails and other "emeralds" until I finally started to break down the tank to find him. In less than six months it was about 5" across. It finally went to a LFS. I have to admit though that it kept the aglae in check, b/c after that hair outbreak. Bill.

msjn771
01/04/2002, 02:25 PM
Do you have any pics?