PDA

View Full Version : Where does everyone Buy there Chemical's

Country Boy
01/15/2005, 07:41 PM
Anyone have a good connection for getting your chemicals?
If so, I'd like to know what Name brands Make the Differnce verse what products you can slide by with off brand.

I have always used Kent for everything and sometimes Seachem, but what does everyone else use.

MY LFS CHARGES

Kent ~ Strontium & Molybdenum 16 oz. = $11.59
Kent ~ Essential Ellements 16 oz. = $12.99
Kent ~ Liquid Reactor (CA) 16oz. = $16.89
Kent ~ PhytoPlex 8 oz. $9.99

What other Chemicals should I be using in my Reef?
Someone told me Iodine or Iodide......

How About Salt ?
I have been using Instant Ocean 160 Gal. = $31.99

Quality of salt?

Charlie Davidson
01/15/2005, 08:09 PM
We have several very good fish stores in our area, many of the owners/ workers of them are good friends to us on R/C. I suggest that you visit several of these stores, come to our meets and talk to us.
I use live phyto - I have calicum reactor, so I only use Seachem reef calicum for minor adjustments. Kent makes a very good product, stick to what has been working for you, change if there is a problem.

BTW, welcome to our group!!

SunDragon
01/16/2005, 10:01 PM
Are you testing for any of those things that your adding?

Country Boy
01/17/2005, 03:19 AM
I know how to test salt and I have Calcium Kit ... are there really kits for dtrontium and Essential ellements...

I do my basics, Nitrate, Nitritem, Amonia, PH, Calcium, and Phosphates. Those are the only test i have ... What else should i be looking for?

Country Boy
01/17/2005, 03:20 AM
Wow...I went to re-read that...I didnt realize how bad my spelling was there...MUST BE TIME FOR BED!

manderx
01/17/2005, 02:43 PM
warner, tropic marin and esv make the best stuff imo, with seachem as good stuff and kent as ok stuff. but for most of these additives, they are all the same thing regardless of the brand.

i'd skip on the essential elements and the liquid reactor. start doing kalk instead of the LR (LR is just sand, where an insignificant amount dissolves in DI water). i'm experimenting with strontium now to see if it makes a difference after going a few months of just relying on my reactor to provide it. there's a test kit for it, but it's really expensive. alot of people just dose calcium/alk supplement and iodine. if i skip on the iodine, my shrimps get crooked antennae. i prefer lugols for iodine (comes in a little dropper).

that's a *great* price on salt.

there are probably cheaper places for sure, especially on the web. BUT remember that if everyone stops buying from the LFS, they will go away. so find a LFS that you respect and help them stay in business.

Country Boy
01/17/2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by manderx

I have learned that Pet Smart Does not sell much salt water supply, BUT they do sell the 160 gallon Instant Ocean Salt. If you go to there website and copy and print the website price and take it into any petsmart, they will honor there online price! ;)

AQUAN8TOR
01/19/2005, 01:09 PM
That is a great price on salt!! I agree with manderx's comments on Warner, Tropic Marin, and ESV, as I use warner marine's lugol's plus iodine and HUFA supplements, Tropic Marin salt, and ESV kalkwasser powder. :)

ranceego
01/31/2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by manderx
warner, tropic marin and esv make the best stuff imo, with seachem as good stuff and kent as ok stuff. but for most of these additives, they are all the same thing regardless of the brand.

i'd skip on the essential elements and the liquid reactor. start doing kalk instead of the LR (LR is just sand, where an insignificant amount dissolves in DI water). i'm experimenting with strontium now to see if it makes a difference after going a few months of just relying on my reactor to provide it. there's a test kit for it, but it's really expensive. alot of people just dose calcium/alk supplement and iodine. if i skip on the iodine, my shrimps get crooked antennae. i prefer lugols for iodine (comes in a little dropper).

there are probably cheaper places for sure, especially on the web. BUT remember that if everyone stops buying from the LFS, they will go away. so find a LFS that you respect and help them stay in business.
I agree, kalk is the best product for any sps keeper. I have been using it for many year now with great success. The esv is a great product. I use the rowakalk. It is a very nice product. Or you could save yourself the money and get some ms wages. its a lot cheaper and if you mix in a 5 gallon bucket you dont want to dump out the rowa or esv its a waste. But if you decide to fluidize it you want the better product. Thats my story and im stickin to it