PDA

View Full Version : Ideal for next meeting

hrmark
01/15/2005, 11:30 AM
I know I'm not an offical member of CVRC, but my wife and I thought it might be a good idea to put your user name along with your name, on the name tags. This would help out some of the newbies to put a face with a user name. What do you think?

firefish2020
01/15/2005, 11:58 AM
Great idea it was actually going to be implememted at the the last meeting but it was headache enough just to get people to give us there actual names LOL :)

LowCel
01/15/2005, 02:23 PM
LOL.....yeah, what Ron said.

As far as being a member you are as much of a member as anyone. :D

odoprelude
01/15/2005, 03:53 PM
Wait a minute!!!! He and his wife haven't ridden the anemone around the store, so they aren't true members yet.... heheh... j/k! Welcome to the club!

firefish2020
01/15/2005, 06:18 PM
Yes bring forth the sacred cup pagoda to drink from,it contains the liquid of 100 freshly squeezed zoanthids only those who drink from the cup shall pass the rest, well we didn't need them anyway LOL

hrmark
01/15/2005, 07:23 PM
Bring forth the cup but please hide the anemone.We will try to only add to the knowledge. LOL. You all aren't gaining much.How do you add your icons.

firefish2020
01/15/2005, 07:43 PM
You can add one in your members information area I think you only get the option after so many posts I can't remember, anyone?

LowCel
01/15/2005, 10:02 PM
Well you can post an avatar anytime. I believe you have to have 400 or 500 posts to change your title though.

1package
01/16/2005, 09:07 AM
I think (if possible) we should post a list of items that we are planning to bring as well. We tried that last time but it did not go so well. I would like to know if there are 5 blasto in the auction prior to bidding $40 on the first one. At a normal auction everything is layed out, you can browse first, get an idea of what and how many. Naturally this is not possible due to time, space, items in bags, lots of reasons. I think a list would help. Maybe we could send someone a list or post a list or bring a list that could be put on a board? Not to mention, if I had of known that there were going to be 5 green candy canes, excluding the one given away as part of the frag demo.......I would have let my own grow for another 2 months.......this may also eliminate the threat of bringing something that you must then take home......which I think was the original point of the auction.

What do we think?

1package
01/16/2005, 09:14 AM
Another thing about a list.......it will give someone time to research a coral that they are unfamiliar with. In the store environment or ordering over the internet you can look or ask light requirements, water flow, aggressive behavior, etc......at the auction, Ron does great with a profile, but you do not always hear it or he may not cover everything.

For example, if I had of known that the Galaxia from Curtis was going to have sweepers in excess of 3", I may have considered not buying it. Oh, wait he gave it to me.......perhaps it was his way of introducing a virus? Ok likely not, thanks Curtis mine is growing fast and looking good but the sweepers are the longest that I have ever seen. I had to take it out of my big tank and put it in another due to the sweepers.

LowCel
01/16/2005, 09:48 AM
I think the best thing to do is to start a thread about a week before the auction where people can list what they are bringing. The only downside to that is that most of the people that are going to be at the meeting are not on Reef Central.

The other downside to that is that people will start making offers on the corals via pm's which will cut Barry out on the percentage. Unfortunately that is going to happen though.

I posted a trading thread before the last meeting, unfortunately not many people were interested in trading.

As for me posting a list that is sort of hard to do, I really don't know what I will be fragging until the day before the meeting. I don't have a frag tank or a prop system so the only frags I bring in are frags that I take from my display tank. I try to not take anything that will take away from the appearance of my tank so I really don't know what I'll be fragging until the time comes.

Aquayne_wv
01/16/2005, 10:37 AM
Hi,

This is Wayne Johnson. I was a member of the old, "Tri-State Aquarium Society" in Huntington.
I now live and work in Logan. I tried to get a club started here but got ZERO response.
One great improvement would be for you to have a FAQ
I have looked all over this site but can not find when and where you meet and how to join.

I have taped myself making 5 projects and would love to share it in the meeting. I enjoy making things.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/68740ad_picture_for_demovid.JPG

Thanks,

Wayne Johnson
Aquayne

DEMOVID@HOTMAIL.COM

coralreefer
01/16/2005, 11:29 AM
I have looked all over this site but can not find when and where you meet and how to join.

Oops.
Guess we ought to get the mods to sticky posts about upcoming meetings. I bumped the meeting 6 info to the top for now, Feb 27 @3:00.
To join just show up :)

firefish2020
01/16/2005, 12:56 PM
Amy great idea I usually post the CVRC meetings in the "Upcoming Events" forum about 2 weeks before the meetings. Lloyd the list is a great idea if you remember we tried it several times so far and I agree with you 100% on this one :) I don’t even know what people are bringing in but I don’t know how to make a public list at the meeting either. Any ideas? Maybe someone could bring some poster board and actually start writing down the coral people bring when they are getting their number I don’t know? Also I agree with Bruce, most of us are just weeding out our tanks to prevent overgrowth so likely there will always be supplies of the fast growers there like Xenia, anthelia, etc.

As for the free Candy coral demo I had no idea that was going to happen until about 2:45 when I got the call from Kevin that he wanted to contribute a prize coral and suggested I just "frag it out and give it away" if I wanted. He and I believe some corals carry a ridiculous price tag and that by increasing the supply of a rare one like the neon green candy that everyone who wants one can perhaps one day have one without breaking the bank. Sometimes the best things in life truly are free :)

MattG
01/16/2005, 01:42 PM
i think making a simple faq would be a good idea. SOmething that just said what we are about along with meeting place/membership (there is no membership requirement :D),ect....

we could have a mod sticky it as suggested and then it will be clear to new comers.

essop3
01/16/2005, 06:57 PM
people have to log in auction items don't they? If so I will bring a posterboard so we can write items down for all to see.

LowCel
01/16/2005, 07:24 PM
Nope, people don't have to log anything in. All they have to do is write their seller number on the bag and what it is. Other than that they just have to tell us their name and how many items they brought. Last time we were barely able to get everyone to do those things.

firefish2020
01/16/2005, 08:13 PM
All we needed as of last meeting was a #, name, and coral description or picture on the bags. This was writen down and logged so we could keep track of who got what, where it was and how much it went for. There were some minor glitches that we learned from last time as well so we will be addressing those issues this time around. It would also be nice if we could bring a few corals to actually "trade" next time around. I should have a few sps frags this time as well if all goes as planned and I can tell you again something "nice" will likey be given away although this time it will be part of the prize drawing at the end.