PDA

View Full Version : day active octos

Fishotch
12/12/2001, 01:35 AM
I read in the thread just now on octo lighting that theyre may be day active octos... Currently i'm planing on a setup for a Bimac in a few years, but was just curious if any of the commonly available species are active during the day.

thanks again

a_kingdom_of_shells
12/12/2001, 02:20 AM
i have a cyanea and dont imagine that there readly available, but he is fairly active all day.

cephalopoder
12/12/2001, 08:29 AM
O.Bomaculoides is aday active octo.

Fishotch
12/12/2001, 01:11 PM
is that so?

Are they readily available anywhere?

I figure when i can set this tank up, i'll also have a real job and be up till 4am less often, so it might be a better match.

thanks for all the great info.

Gonodactylus
12/13/2001, 01:35 AM
By far the best day-active octopus is O. cyanea, but they do get a bit large. There is a common, undescribed octopus in the horridus group from Indonesia that is day active and is much smaller, but they show up only occasionally. The mimic from Bali as well as wonderpus are also day-active - well actually wonderpus is crepuscular - but again they are hard to come by. Blue-rings are also day active, but I would advise against them.

Bottom line, for my money, if you can get a small O. cyanea from the Indo-Pacific, it will last in captivity for a year to 18 months (if you don't feed it too much) and you will have a great beast.

Gonodactylu

cephalopoder
12/13/2001, 10:39 AM
My Mimic octo, has been on a dawn and dusk cycle for the most part. It has been seen active at all times though. I fed it a good size hermit crab last night and it came out to eat it several hours after the lights were out. In the morning is when I usually see its little head peeping out of the sand.
My bimaculoides was active during the day all the time. Some day I would, love to get a O.cyanea. I need to set up my larger tank for that one!
chris