PDA

View Full Version : M.a.r.s?

rica5tully
01/14/2005, 12:27 PM
I just stumbled onto this forum. I live outside of Madison.

I'm on the mailing list of the Wisconsin Reef Society and have been following them. Is this a completely different club? Are many of your members also members in WRS?

Just trying to get my bearings...

Also: do most people post here or on the forum that's ON the MARS website?

Thanks,
Eric

slug
01/14/2005, 12:37 PM
They are two different clubs. MARS is free, WRS requires dues and driving all over the boonies of Wisconsin... no thanks haha.

buiryn
01/14/2005, 12:45 PM
Most MARS members use the forum on the club site, or the mailing list (also on the club site).

Matt

rica5tully
01/14/2005, 02:09 PM
Is the e-mail list the same as WRS? I signed up for the MARS e-mail list this morning, and then I got at least double of all the messages in the WRS list!

ET

moujon
01/14/2005, 02:58 PM
Eric- No it's not the same, but there are nice people in both and some overlap of members. The WRS has a statewide draw, while MARS tends to be more Dane/Columbia/Rock co oriented (just to name a few). WRS members also seem to do more communication on the yahoo group site than RC.

I belong to both (or will officially after next weekend) and have debated about FVRC- since I'm in Central Dodge Co- about equally from Madison/Milw/FDL. I've even debated joining CMAS since I've met a number of people from Chicago through RC! If I were located where you are, I'd go for both WRS and MARS definitely.

Shel

rica5tully
01/14/2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks!

Is there any way to "join" MARS other than signing up for the e-mail list? On the website it says there aren't any fees or anything yet.

ET

moujon
01/14/2005, 03:32 PM
You pretty much just go to the website and register, then start meeting people through the site. There are meetings-I haven't been able to make one yet- hopefully will this spring.

Jus Reefin
01/14/2005, 03:40 PM
Not to be confused with
MARS

Marine
Aquariust
Rountable
Sacramento

moujon
01/14/2005, 03:43 PM
Definitely don't want to get confused with them- Don't think I'd make too many of those meetings at all!
:)

MiddletonMark
01/14/2005, 09:56 PM
Hey you, out of our club ;)

Yup ... they're much the more active `MARS' club you see on the get new pages. Probably as nice as the people in this MARS ... maybe good competition there.

Join the mailing list, January is `free time' this year ... but it's a nice group of people. More informal, no dues ... but a good way to see tanks, meet folks, and learn.

I forget who is hosting February ... but check the list, make a meeting when you can.

You'll always be welcome - whenever you come.

Jus Reefin
01/14/2005, 09:59 PM
LOL, You never know where ya might live

MiddletonMark
01/14/2005, 10:03 PM
I guess this begs the question ... do you need to come to a meeting to be a member?

IMO, maybe not :D

MalawianDude
02/08/2005, 05:05 PM
Shel,
What is FVRC?

Marty

moujon
02/08/2005, 05:14 PM
Fox Valley Reef Club