PDA

View Full Version : New To Hampton Roads Reef Lookn For Locals

Country Boy
01/14/2005, 01:07 AM
I live in the Williamsburg area, i am caught between watching this forum and the Richmond Forum... There seems to be alot more goin on in the Richmond Forum. Anyone in my area ? Would love to see other members tanks frags, etc. :)

Country Boy
01/15/2005, 08:00 PM
NO one here? D:\Pictures\S4200082

spshead
01/15/2005, 08:13 PM
I live in virginia beach there is a local reefing club here but i am not a member. If you want to see pics you can go to reeffreaks.com and look under then name bryan and see photos of my tank and corals. My tank is the featured reef of the month on that website. It is the home page. Also check out care a lot pet supplies located in norfolk they are extremely cheap. Website is carealotpets.com but the site does not show everything they have in the store

jake2045
01/15/2005, 08:41 PM
Country Boy, Hay! I live in Norfolk and I'm all ways looking for some one new to trade with.The local reef club can be found in the forums under reef clubs.(Hampton Roads Reef Club) We are still small with a lot of new tanks and some older tanks.

spshead
01/15/2005, 08:47 PM
how many people are actively participating in this club

lmattix
01/15/2005, 08:57 PM
Hi Country Boy. I am sort of new too. I started by tank in August, but there quite a few good, experienced reefer in our area. I meet them all the time, both online and in the LFS's. I have also purchased half of the corals in my tank from the guy's (and girls) it have met ( I don't have much to trade yet). They are always very helpful and very generous. I have never been to a Reef Club meeting, but I am really looking forward meeting some of the faces attached to the nicknames. If you are new, you started big with a 120 g. I have a 75 g. In retrospect, I wish I had started with a larger tank now.

BTW. I'm Larry. I don't have any pictures of my tank post yet. I am just learning how to take pictures through the glass (not very good).

tgfrench
01/15/2005, 11:36 PM
any of you guys go to the fishsafari FS. I was there over thanksgiving and was impressed. Are there other stores in the norfolk area that I should see next time i'm up?
terry

Country Boy
01/15/2005, 11:49 PM
animal Jungle is the only other one that might be worth your time. all the other places are fairly small.. I have recently learned there are ALOT in Richmond..but thats a long drive for ya!

The Website doesnt do the store justice, but you can get directions and such http://www.animaljungle.com/

Amber Nussbaum
01/17/2005, 07:01 AM
All Pet Discounters is worth checking out. The new one on nimmo pkwy in Va. Beach always has huge, gorgeous corals for $49 each. Really good deals and a nice facility.

spshead
01/17/2005, 07:34 AM
here is the pic Country Boy

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/66145IMG_0036__Small_.JPG

spshead
01/17/2005, 07:41 AM
i cant figure out how to actually post the pic in the thread

Amber Nussbaum
01/17/2005, 07:45 AM
Nice tank! You should try to come to the meeting.. do you have any frags to trade or sell?

spshead
01/17/2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks

no frags

I am not going to get into fragging until my tank is complete and the corals have been thriving/growing for a while. I want to collect some different and unusaul corals so i can frag/trade rather then just having all the common ones.

mylittleocean
01/17/2005, 10:37 AM
Tangface: RC seems to be broke right now. It should have posted but wont.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/66145IMG_0036__Small_.JPG
just hit the image button when posting the message or [IMG] then the address [/ IMG]
Nice Tank!!

Country Boy: You should go look at Fish Safari. Its small but puts Animal J to shame. I havent been in AJ in years, they gave me ich.

spshead
01/17/2005, 11:10 AM
wasn't sure if was me or not. Hopefully the website will fix it later

Country Boy
01/17/2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by mylittleocean
. I havent been in AJ in years, they gave me ich.

Really? ....... I have only Been TO AJ 2 times..picked up sum live rock both times and some caulepera with HUGE POD's living in it... Helped to get my Pod Population...Everytime my Mandarine Comes to the glass, I know He is screaming " Thank you" ! ;)

I will have to lookk up there address and find my way there! I appreciate the information

spshead
01/17/2005, 11:17 AM
once you go to fish safari there really is no reason to back to AJ

Country Boy
01/17/2005, 11:26 AM
By the way mylittleocean That is a great looking tank, My dream ... I am trying to switch over to MH lighting now from my 6 55W PC's...just not enough space and strength in them...

I think my lighting is one of the reasons everything grows really slow...

was thinking of buying a setup from hellolights but can get kinda pricey....

spshead
01/17/2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Country Boy
By the way mylittleocean That is a great looking tank, My dream ...

Are you referring to his 180 or my 125 link that is in this thread.

I love the in wall concept

Maybe the next house

Country Boy
01/17/2005, 11:37 AM
Hmm I just say the link on HIS Reply, assumed i was his tank! ;)

Here I'll Try that again!

By the way tangface That is a great looking tank, My dream ...

spshead
01/17/2005, 12:52 PM
hey thanks lol

he actually has a thread somewhere of a 180 in wall that he is doing and that is my dream. I was going to to do the same in this house but the layout will not support it. My next house that will be part of the criteria for house selection :rollface:

The Shrimp X
01/21/2005, 09:35 AM
i live in Suffolk.

bluenosedshellback
01/29/2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Country Boy
Really? ....... I have only Been TO AJ 2 times..picked up sum live rock both times and some caulepera with HUGE POD's living in it... Helped to get my Pod Population...Everytime my Mandarine Comes to the glass, I know He is screaming " Thank you" ! ;)

I will have to lookk up there address and find my way there! I appreciate the information

I, too, have bought several pieces of LR from AJ. Had more lifr in those things than I could believe......stars, pods, etc. Unfortunately we also got a nice little community of bristle worms. We discovered them after turning the lights out after great concern due to our RBTA acting very strange and stressed. And what do you know.....peaking out of the rock was a 4" long bristle worm. then a couple of smaller ones peaked out as well. I had to massage the RBTA off the piece of tonga for 30 minutes to get him off (he really like the crevices in the rock). I then did a FW dip of the LR in a 5 gal bucket with a temp of 65F. Stuff was leaping off the rock. This was when we discovered how much life was actually in there. We tried to save as many critters as possible, however only a the stars and pods survived the immense shock. The bristle worms never came out. After several days decided to return the rock back and supervise closely. No problems since then. I happened to shake the rock up and down when moving to get some debris and sand off and out of some of the holes flowed out some chunks of meat.....what i presumed to be the remains of the bristleworms. What a fiasco. Sheesh, but all is well now. We have since aquired a GBTA and our maroon gold stripe clown just loves up on both of them. :D

Country Boy
01/29/2005, 12:42 PM
Bristol worms are a matter of Opinion in the aquarium industry i think. I have heard that they are bad, and i have heard that they are fin as long as they dont get out of hand.. Im thinking it just has to do with what setup u have going. I may be wrong, by in my 120 reef, i have noticed a few once in a while...and i do nothing about it. as long as they arent killing anything Im fine

bluenosedshellback
01/29/2005, 01:01 PM
I would have left them in there too had they not bothered my RBTA because I have also seen opinions on both good and bad. My take is as long as everyones happy everybody stays... I tried to trap them but they are some very secretive dudes....

bluenosedshellback
01/29/2005, 01:04 PM
I agree that i think it was the set up because the particular rock has a lot of internal holes and caves and crevices....unfortunately it just so happened that they both inhabited the same rock in close proximity..... had the RBTA not declined so rapidly I would have let them be....

Country Boy
01/29/2005, 01:08 PM
do you come through the ferry? on Jamestown road?