PDA

View Full Version : Feburary club meet

mylittleocean
01/13/2005, 09:34 PM
If anyone would like to come down to Elizabeth City NC I could host a meeting in Feb. I am about an 45 mins from Va line. I know its a long drive so I understand if its too far.

Project ideas are welcome. In the past I have heard of DIY skimmers, sumps and ect. which is fine but would take time to do. I have all the tools needed but you would need to start around lunch time.
Other ideas could be making LR to take home and cure for 30 days.

Just throwing some ideas out there.

Amber Nussbaum
01/14/2005, 01:39 PM
I'd like to see your tank, so let's do this. I will probably be gone the last weekend in February but other than that, early afternoons on Saturdays are ideal.

waterlily
01/14/2005, 05:15 PM
I'd like to do a sump. When you had this 75, what did you do for a sump? How much acrylic would I need? Right now I'm using a Rubbermade tub.

mylittleocean
01/14/2005, 05:51 PM
TwoKayaks has the sump/refugium thatwas on the 75. I have another sump that you can get. Used only one month until I built the sump/refug. I have a pic somewhere, I'll post it here shortly.

The amount of acrylic needed depends on the size you want. 1/4" is fine for a sump because the baffles will support the sides and keep them from bowing. The one I made was 36" x 12 x 14" or 16", I'll look and see. I think I still have the drawings. Nothing wrong with a rubbermaid though. Are you wanting to incorparate a refugium in it also? If we do this I can pre buy the acrylic needed and have it precut. We can glue it when you arrive. I'll just save the bill. I already have the glue so that save a little money. The one I made before ran me about $150 I think but I can call for pricing. I sorta copied the EcoSystem brand that sells for $600.

mylittleocean
01/14/2005, 05:58 PM
the original sump 24" x 12" x 14"

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/585/61616Refugium_5_22_03_a.JPG

The on I built. 36" x 12" x 14"

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/585/61616NewSumpRefug.JPG

lmattix
01/14/2005, 08:19 PM
Hey! I don't think it's too far. Remember I made the drive. I would do it again. I think it's a good idea. I would like see your new set again up close (like before and after).

Larry

twokayaks
01/14/2005, 10:51 PM
Yeah. I purchased the sump that Jeff made. Right now I'm using it as a fuge. After following some of the BB with faux starboard threads, I'm probably going to just use it as a sump.

As for the trip down, count me in. Jeff's got an incredible setup. Definitely worth the drive down.

waterlily
01/18/2005, 05:09 PM
Jeff, after I spent $400 at Dr.Mac's, my husband has strongly suggested I stop spending money on this tank for a while, so I'll have to take a raincheck on the sump. My rubbermade is doing an adequate job for now.

mylittleocean
01/18/2005, 07:12 PM
LOL... :D I understand. My wife is very understanding with me to a certain point.

Extra LR? Could do a trade for the one I have now? :D
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/585/61616Refugium_5_22_03_a.JPG

mylittleocean
01/18/2005, 07:15 PM
Which is a good date for everyone?

Feb. 15,16,23,20 or 30? I cant do the 22nd.

I hope with everyone's praise, nobody is dissappointed when they get here. Its just starting so its not that great yet. I need lots of LR and corals. Total $$$ invested right now is not alot but rather alot of time.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. :beer:

twokayaks
01/18/2005, 09:37 PM
My wife would kill me if I do something with the tank rather than spend the Valentines weekend with her. I vote for the 20th.

Also, for anyone interested in making a sump. I can vouch for the sump that Jeff designed. Well made and seems very strong.

mylittleocean
01/18/2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks TwoKayaks.

Another project idea could be a Calcium reactor.

OOps .. I was looking at the wrong month.
I was looking at Jan. Not sure where I got the 20th. Must have been looking at Feb then.

Note to self. Never type and help with kids science project at the same time.

Feb. 20,26 or 27th

The Shrimp X
01/20/2005, 02:44 PM
i vote for the Calcium reactor, lol i have no clue on how to make one myself so this could be fun, lol, ya let me see on the date. lol. probibly the 20th for me. lol.

The Shrimp X
01/20/2005, 02:45 PM
What about a frag trade? i have some teal or red shrooms, and some nice Clove/glove polyp frags, (not sure if their clove polyps or Glove poylps check out my gallery and tell me what they are lol. thanks

mylittleocean
01/20/2005, 05:47 PM
I dont have anything to trade at the moment as I am just starting the new tank. Everyone is welcome to bring 'em to trade though.

We will see what everyone want to do and make a final decision on Feb 1.

Fish and shrimp for dinner? :D

mylittleocean
01/20/2005, 05:50 PM
BTW do we have a home page?

jake2045
01/20/2005, 06:19 PM
I think I maybe able to get my hands on some 1/4 acrylic.(used some scratches) I will let everyone know.I would love to make a Ca reactor myself.

mylittleocean
01/20/2005, 07:39 PM
1/4" acrylic tube? 6" or 4" (not that it really matters)
That would be great. Scratches will not bother me.

Is there a place in Va that sells acrylic tube?

Here is my latest CaReactor.
Page 4
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=452029&perpage=&pagenumber=4 (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=452029&perpage=&pagenumber=4)

I have also built a square reactor. It was designed by DJ88 here on RC. I modified his plans a little to make it a true dual chamber.
I will look for the pic. It's lid was cracked in the move.

The Shrimp X
01/20/2005, 07:54 PM
Ok cool. so any thing that we should bring? Chips, Soda? Any thing?

The Shrimp X
01/20/2005, 07:56 PM
hey speeking of whaich. what do you mean by making LR?

mylittleocean
01/20/2005, 08:00 PM
www.garf.org

Using their formula for making Live Rock. Of course its not actually "live" until you seed it (place in a tank w/ real LR).
It would have to cure for 30 days or until the PH has leveled off.

Chips and ect would be nice. After we have settled on a date I will post a check off sheet.

My vote is for the 20th also.

jake2045
01/20/2005, 09:01 PM
Sorry! I have 1/4 acrylic sheets. Great for a sump.

bluenosedshellback
01/29/2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by The Shrimp X
i vote for the Calcium reactor, lol i have no clue on how to make one myself so this could be fun, lol, ya let me see on the date. lol. probibly the 20th for me. lol.

There is an awesome thread on here about a guy in college that built a square one with awessome results.... maybe you guys could use this as a template or something. I would be interested in joining up as well, so if anyone has any info on the club I would greatly appreciate it....anyhow, here is the thread I was talking about

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144438

Bill

bluenosedshellback
01/29/2005, 12:54 PM
hey speeking of whaich. what do you mean by making LR?

Search the DIY forum for making live rock or agrocrete..... there was one i read yesterday that was very interesting and the forms he made were cool and realistic. I will look for it.

Bill

Amber Nussbaum
01/29/2005, 01:04 PM
The 20th sounds good to me. I would love to build a sump, but not really sure what all is involved.. I'll be moving into my own apartment around July, wondering if I should just wait til then to set it up or what. Advice?

mylittleocean
01/29/2005, 10:45 PM
Bill
That is what I based my first CaReactor on. Its not a true dual chamber though. Not that I have a dual chamber now. His is a single chamber even though it is in two sections. Cool design though. The acrylic tube is easier to build (Esp. for beginners). The square has alot more glue joints. However, acrylic tube is not the easiest thing to get somtimes.

How about lets set the date for Feb 20th.

Whats a good time? 12:00 or 3:00

Amber
When you get here I might have an acrylic sump for you. I'll show it to you then.

Amber Nussbaum
01/29/2005, 11:46 PM
Awesome! I'm excited to see the sump...
and 3pm sounds good for the meeting time.

The Shrimp X
01/30/2005, 09:50 AM
ok 3:00 pm on the 20th great. So i will bring some frags of my clove/glove polyps (no one has told me forsure what they are), and some purplely tealish shrooms, and some red shrooms. Whats every one else bringing, oh does any one have any thing they might want to trade for my GBTA clone?

giantxtc
01/30/2005, 10:44 AM
Looks like Xenia to me.Does it have a skeletal base?

The Shrimp X
01/30/2005, 11:01 AM
it cant be xenia because they all have there own stem, but it spreads on a tiny layer on the rock, kinda like GSP.

giantxtc
01/30/2005, 01:53 PM
How about brown star polyps?I have seen bigger varieties of them and they do grow like a mat.It's hard to tell from the close up picture,and not being able to see the whole animal.Did you get them from around here?

Amber Nussbaum
01/30/2005, 10:04 PM
Hey I started a thread to list what frags everyone's bringing to trade, and set up specific trades if that's what anyone wants to do.

Click here (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=517761).

twokayaks
01/31/2005, 01:13 PM
Man! Two pages for a club meeting. Don't have anything to trade but I'll purchase some stuff as soon as I can figure out this electrical problem in my tank. Right now all I've got are 2 clowns and a yellow tail damsel. Anyone want him? Kind of a bully, at least to the three other 1" tankmates. He's free if anyone wants him.

3:00 is good for me.

lmattix
01/31/2005, 02:10 PM
3:00 pm on the 20th is good for me. I don't have a lot to trade but I can buy stuff. I am new to this propagation stuff but I will try to frag something. I have finger leather, lots of zoanthids, and some white daisy polyps.

The Shrimp X
01/31/2005, 06:11 PM
cool i cant wait to meet every one.

speecking of wich how old is everyone and show some pics, so we know what everyone looks like one, i will get one in a sec.

The Shrimp X
01/31/2005, 06:59 PM
Ok well i got a pic of me, its in my gallery under Its ME

mylittleocean
02/02/2005, 04:59 PM
FOR THOSE WHO ARE COMING TO THE FEB. MEET:
Send me a PM so I can get an idea of how many are attending and I will return directions.
(Amber) I will give good directions this time. :D

Feb 20th @3:00

HotDogs and hHambergers served a 5:00?

Also, If interested in a Calcium Reactor add that to the email.
You will need to pick up some 6" or 4" acrylic tube. Not sure where to get it locally but can send info where to order online.

mylittleocean
02/02/2005, 09:00 PM
I am hoping to have a guest to come to the meet also. Leroy from Fish Safari might come. He is a good source for info.

BTW a Calcium Reactor is not that necessary for tanks w/o SPS or stony based corals. Here is a good article to read on setting up Ca Reactors
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/

If anyone would like to bring food here is a list to sign up for.
Include how many will be attending with you please.

Chips
Drinks
Beer :D
Buns (hotdog/hamberger)
paper plates

I have the meat covered.

Amber your PM box is full

Amber Nussbaum
02/02/2005, 10:55 PM
I'll bring paper plates. I cleaned out my pm box. Sorry.

Amber Nussbaum
02/03/2005, 09:35 AM
Jeff, will you send me directions and your exact address so I can post a thread about the meeting in the announcements forum?

Thanks

lmattix
02/03/2005, 06:51 PM
I will bring some beer. Is it OK to transport alcohollic beverages across state lines?:)

twokayaks
02/03/2005, 09:21 PM
I'll bring 4-2 liter bottles of softdrinks. Depending on RSVPs, I can bring more if we need. If you have a preference let me know.

mylittleocean
02/03/2005, 09:35 PM
Head count so far-
Amber (2 people)?
lmattix (2 poeple)? Ca Reactor
waterlilly (2 poeple)? Ca Reactor?
twokayaks (2 people)? Ca Reactor
shrimpX (1 person)? Ca Reactor
Leroy-- aka:Fish Safari Owner (1 person)

Amber Nussbaum
02/03/2005, 09:51 PM
Just me. no calcium reactor.

waterlily
02/04/2005, 05:03 PM
There's only one of me. Still thinking about the reactor...probably not since I've been able to keep my calcium up with kalk. I'll bring chips.

mylittleocean
02/04/2005, 07:36 PM
Is anyone keeping SPS or stony corals?

giantxtc
02/05/2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by mylittleocean
Is anyone keeping SPS or stony corals?

I was wondering the same thing.You probably don't need a calcium reactor unless you keep these types of corals,correct?I myself would like to come to the meeting,but the Richmond group is planning a frag swap on the same day I believe.I'll have to decide.
-Rich

The Shrimp X
02/05/2005, 11:48 AM
I myself do not have SPS corals but will be getting a Clam in a month or so, plus when i upgrade to a new tank i will already have the calcium reacter, lol. Thats why i would like to build one, but a sump or other, earier ideas are also fun. lol.

mylittleocean
02/05/2005, 07:45 PM
Idea . ?

With the time factor, how about we build one reactor for someone who keeps SPS or stony corals. This way everyone can see what is done and get it done in a resonable amount of time.
I am always off on Sundays and would be glad to help anyone at a later date with anything acrylic. I enjoy building things so as long as you supply the materials and make the drive I am up to helping with just about any project.
Sump, refugium, Ca Reactor, skimmer, and so on.

The Shrimp X
02/05/2005, 07:55 PM
Well since not everyone will be making a Calcium Reactor. Lets make a vote.

I will set up a poll in this forum to see what the mojority says.

ahill
02/12/2005, 04:06 PM
cool i cant wait to meet every one.

speecking of wich how old is everyone and show some pics, so we know what everyone looks like one, i will get one in a sec.

Could be a Wood's Polyp. They look like Xenia except that have thier own base and are generally brown in color.

Amy and I can make it, i'll bring a couple of frags as well. As far as Ca rx goes we already have one and it works great! Even if you dont have SPS in your tank it works great to maintain extremely stable chemistry.

edit: One of the frags is the bright orange zoos I had pics of at the meeting at Amber's house.

The Shrimp X
02/12/2005, 04:32 PM
well i think since not every one needs a Cal Re. we should just go with making protein skimmers, (they sound alot easier.) Oh and i have found out that the ? polyps are indeed clove polyps.
I would love a frag of the zoos. hehe. I can trade soome clove polyps or shrooms, check out the frag trade thread. for the meeting

mylittleocean
02/14/2005, 07:38 PM
So what the verdict on the DIY project?

The Shrimp X
02/14/2005, 08:10 PM
im not sure, but after looking into DIY live rock. It sounds like alot of fun, Im not talking about just cementing 2 peices together, im talking about actually making it, by using the 5:1 ratcio method, offered by... darn what was his name. 1 sec i have to go find it.

The Shrimp X
02/14/2005, 08:13 PM
Ok its the method used by Bene'

here is his site

http://showcase.netins.net/web/reef...mliverock1.html

The Shrimp X
02/14/2005, 08:15 PM
try this

http://showcase.netins.net/web/reefpage/mmliverock/mmliverock1.html

The Shrimp X
02/14/2005, 08:17 PM
it sounds like alot of fun, how you get to shape the rocks, and how you get to deside how you want it to look. Still not sure what we will be doing but this sounds pretty simple, ecept the curing procces. I dont know about you guys, but im pretty patcient.

twokayaks
02/15/2005, 08:13 PM
I say that we go ahead and make a Ca Reactor. I don't need one but wouldn't mind helping out on someone elses. Any one have any preferences on drinks (softdrinks)?

waterlily
02/16/2005, 05:49 PM
The calcium reactor is fine. I'll just watch and learn.

I don't like diet sodas but beyond that I like pretty much all sodas that don't have artificial sweeteners in them.

lmattix
02/16/2005, 07:11 PM
How many people want beer? And are there any brand preferences?

Amber Nussbaum
02/16/2005, 07:25 PM
I dont drink..

The Shrimp X
02/16/2005, 07:46 PM
well atleast i wont be the only one. lol (well then again it could be that im 15;) )

mylittleocean
02/16/2005, 07:50 PM
OK. I assume we are a go on the Ca reactor.
Michelob lite (did I spell that right?) ?

# coming
Amber (1)
ShrimpX (2)
twokayaks (2)
lmattix (1)
waterlilly (1)
ahill (2)
gregvabeach (1) ?
tangface (1) ?
Leroy (aka Fish Safari owner) (1)

is the guest count right?

anyone need directions?

Amber said she would post somewhere but I am not sure where. Can you post a link?

Do I need to set up the 55 for a holding tank (frag trading)?

The Shrimp X
02/16/2005, 07:58 PM
a frag tank doesnt sound like a bad idea.

Oh and i still need Directions. (good directions, becasue my dad gets lost sometimes...lol.)

mylittleocean
02/16/2005, 08:00 PM
Directions to my house.

Take 17S

From Va line to 17S bypass Elizabeth City(use left lane) 12.5 miles.

17S bypass to Halstead Blvd exit 6.2 miles (turn left)

Halstead Blvd to Peartree Rd 7 miles or fifth stoplight. (turn right)

Peartree Rd to Weeksville Rd 6.7 miles at the stopsign (turn right)

Weeksville Rd to Dryridge Rd 1.9 miles (turn left)

Dryridge Rd to HobbsLanding Rd 3.9 miles (turn right)

HobbsLanding (my house is brick and on the right) .4 miles

Any non HRRC members that use these directions to get here and rob me, just remember one thing. Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson are good friends of mine. :D

The Shrimp X
02/16/2005, 08:02 PM
who? im confused. lol.

thanks for posting the directions.

mylittleocean
02/16/2005, 08:04 PM
gun humor

The Shrimp X
02/16/2005, 08:14 PM
uhhhhh...ok... lol.

giantxtc
02/16/2005, 11:16 PM
Did I mention I live near the airport.

Country Boy
02/16/2005, 11:24 PM
lol.. :) giantxtc ... that still probley went over there heads :)

mylittleocean
02/16/2005, 11:33 PM
NO I do NOT live near the airport.

:rollface:

giantxtc
02/16/2005, 11:33 PM
Yeah,you're right!I'm still trying to decide whether to go to the Richmond frag swap,or NC.I had already promised to go to the Richmond swap before I found out about the other.Hmmm?It will probably come down to the shortest drive.

jake2045
02/17/2005, 06:48 AM
I also live near the airport! No, really I do! I would like to go to one but have to work. Reagan I still have the 20gal long if you need it. Sorry,I lost your phone number. I do have a couple of sheets of 1/4 pelxi 2'x4' let know if I can help.

waterlily
02/17/2005, 03:16 PM
I don't live near the airport and I don't drink beer:D I drink wine with dinner, but only Arbor Mist because it is the only kind that doesn't make me want to spit it out. I only drink wine for the health benefit (seriously).

gregvabch
02/17/2005, 08:03 PM
i'm a beer drinker, and proud of it! :-) probably will only have a couple though, especially since i'm going on the wagon this weekend, (cigarettes).

i live by the airport, but not the one you guys are talking about :-)

rich do you wanna bring that harness/heat sink to the meeting? that is if you still have it; sorry i didn't call you this week, it's been hectic.

i let my tank go for awhile with everything else i've had going on, lost the passion i had for it because of other pressing issues. i'm really starting to get back into it again though.

i hope that we can do the calcium reactor, i'm interested in seeing how much money it saves. i don't have a lot of stony corals right now but i know they're the way to go, (calcium reactors). anyways...

giantxtc
02/18/2005, 01:11 AM
Greg..still not sure if I am going to make it.But,I still have the harness/heatsink for ya.We'll get together at some point.:cool:

Amber Nussbaum
02/18/2005, 08:54 AM
I posted about the meeting in the "announcements" forum. The directions are here though now, so I doubt youll need to look over there.

twokayaks
02/18/2005, 09:11 AM
I'll drink a few beers. Mich Lite is fine. Also, an update on the people count. It'll just be me coming down. Does anyone wanna ride down with me? PM me if interested.

lmattix
02/19/2005, 02:42 PM
Jeff:

My wife is coming with me so that makes two (counting me). See you tomorrow. Mich Lite it is.

spshead
02/19/2005, 03:25 PM
My wife and i cannot come now. At first i had to work then got out of that. Now my sons basketball coach wants to play in a tournament on sunday. I wish i could be there i want to see the calcium reactor project. Have fun anyway.

The Shrimp X
02/19/2005, 08:40 PM
ok so, what the plan for tommorow then? I went to MSN and got directions to see how long it takes to get to your house and it said about 1 and a half hours, so i will probibly be leaving around 1:20 or so. So are we gonna put the frags in the 55 gallon or what gonna happen? this is my first time taking my frags to a trade, so i need to know as much as i can so my frags dont die.

I will be putting them each in seprate fish bags (the ones LFS use)
and putting the bags in a styrofoam cooler, for transportation. How does this sound?

mylittleocean
02/19/2005, 10:35 PM
I had so much stuff to do today. I will try to get the 55 up but might have to just place in my sump. What you are planning should be fine. When ordering online they are shipped and in the bag much longer.

From Suffolk are you coming down Hwy32 and cutting across US 158 to hwy 17? It takes me about an hour.
To Va Bch (Fish Safari) it takes me 1 hr 10 mins.

The Shrimp X
02/19/2005, 10:53 PM
not sure how my dad plans on getting there, he printed out direction from our house to your online, so he will be using those and the directions you gave us, together.

Amber Nussbaum
02/20/2005, 12:31 AM
Crap. Sorry to everyone I promised frags, but I cannot come to the meeting tomorrow.

I booked a show tonight for some bands at this dance studio place (where I usually do shows) and one of their full-length mirrors got broken. So tomorrow I have to contact the glass place, go pick it up and go hang it in the studio.

This is crappy. I hope yall have fun without me.. but I have to take care of this tomorrow or he says no more shows. Ugh.

The Shrimp X
02/20/2005, 09:44 AM
well, thats a bummer that you cant make it, hope the show goes good.

The Shrimp X
02/20/2005, 11:28 AM
so what things do you still need us to bring? I will bring cheesecake for desert. Do you need plates? Chips? Let me know.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :

spshead
02/20/2005, 08:56 PM
hope everyone had a good time;)

The Shrimp X
02/20/2005, 09:04 PM
I had a great time. Jeff's tank is amazing. I am happy i got to meet some of you! Hope we can all get together at the next meeting!!

twokayaks
02/20/2005, 10:00 PM
Thanks Jeff for the hospitality. Had a great time and as usual was mesmerized by your tank.

spshead
02/21/2005, 07:32 AM
All i could think about when my sons team was getting slammed in his basketball game 42 to 12 was why didn't i go to north carolina?:rolleyes:

waterlily
02/21/2005, 05:14 PM
For those of you who missed the meeting...well, let's just say it was x-rated. There was some serious clownfish hanky-panky going on :eek2:

The Shrimp X
02/21/2005, 06:42 PM
lol. So Jeff how many eggs can you see?

Amber Nussbaum
02/22/2005, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by waterlily
For those of you who missed the meeting...well, let's just say it was x-rated. There was some serious clownfish hanky-panky going on :eek2:

Ewwwwww