PDA

View Full Version : Hey hey I'm back

Amber Nussbaum
01/13/2005, 08:59 AM
Hey kids. I haven't been on in a long time but I have decided to keep my tank after all. A lot of the corals have gotten pretty large, and everything is looking nice. I guess I want to get a new fish soon, since I still just have the three same ones.

Anybody getting rid of any fish, or heard of any good deals? I haven't been to the local stores in a while since I thought I was getting out.

I can't make it to the meeting Saturday cause I'll be out of town. But what's everybody up to these days?

mylittleocean
01/13/2005, 09:08 AM
Glad to see you stay in it.
I havent been to a meeting yet as I work on Sat's.
Looking forward to meeting all of you someday.

I think I have my tank pretty much done now. Well, lets be honest when is an aquarium ever done. :D
here is a link if you get bored.....
My 180 (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=452029)

Maybe I could host a meeting down here in NC one day.

mylittleocean
01/13/2005, 09:10 AM
BTW
what is that in your avator?

Amber Nussbaum
01/13/2005, 10:04 AM
A sugar glider. Craziest pet ever. My boyfriend has two, and apparently the female is pregnant! Oh boy.

They're much like a flying squirrel, but they're actually a marsupial. They live in the canopy of the rainforest, and fly (glide) around. Native to Australia.

I'm gonna check out the link to your tank right now!

mylittleocean
01/13/2005, 03:26 PM
pregnant?

Will you be selling the babies? I would be interested in one. I would have to do some reading on the care and habitat though.

Amber Nussbaum
01/13/2005, 06:16 PM
I think the first babies, he's going to keep. But the second batch he will probably sell haha. It will most likely be soon-ish too, they "do it" often and are NOT shy about it hahah. I'll keep you posted.

twokayaks
01/14/2005, 11:01 PM
Great to see that you're back! It's a good thing I didn't purchase you canopy. I'd have to sell it back to you for twice as much:rollface:

Amber Nussbaum
01/16/2005, 01:03 AM
Hahah!

jake2045
01/18/2005, 07:05 AM
Welcome back!

Minuteman
01/26/2005, 07:10 PM
:wave: I'm just a noob, but you can see me here (http://members.cox.net/2squids)

Greg

jake2045
01/26/2005, 08:44 PM
lbrty9 dump the bio balls, they will only add nirate to your tank. You can do this over a 2-3 peroid, your live rock and sand will work as a better filter.

Gamefightr
01/27/2005, 09:34 PM
how is it that bioballs add nitrate to your tank? do you have any scientific anything to back that up? i find it very hard to believe since bioballs are in effect the same thing as lace rock and sand - pure surface area for bacteria to grow on. which yes, having more bacteria will cause the nitrate cycle to occur faster, but this means that there will be less ammonia, and nitrite. bioballs wont themselves cause a rise in nitrate unless they first cause a rise in something else, so unless the bio-ball bacteria is somehow dying off, i dont see how it could be, but lemme know, im intrigued.

waterlily
01/27/2005, 09:45 PM
Hey, Greg - Why don't you have pics of your tank on your website?

I've seen that picture of the naked baby before...maybe at Greenbrier mall or the library? It is a very moving picture. I've been wanting to get our pictures taken at Hobbs, but haven't gotten around to it. Better get to it soon because the kids are 10 and 13.

jake2045
01/28/2005, 12:50 AM
Greg,
The bio-balls actually break down the ammonia and nitrite so fast that you need up with alot of nitrate.The bio-balls have such a high surface area for bacteria to grow, but the water flow is most often to high for denitratifcation to taken place.I think a sump with some type of macro algea as a nutrient export would work better or even a sand bed or more live rock.I personally notice a big drop in nitrate in my tank after removing the mechanical filters(bio-balls), my tank would run in the high 30-40ppm and now around .00-.05ppm without. I did have a BIG spike when I first removed all at once (DUMB @&* should have done a little more research) This is just two cents, but what do I know I'm currently fighting a fair algea problem.( poor water change habits) Even with that my nitrates run .00-.05ppm. Removed my bioballs over 5 years ago.I have alot of cheato if any one needs some, I just removed a bunch but give me a couple of days as it grows veryfast in my sump.

spshead
01/28/2005, 08:00 PM
i say if your current system is working why change it

GGGREGGG
03/23/2005, 12:23 AM
what happened?

Amber Nussbaum
03/23/2005, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by GGGREGGG
what happened?

To mine? Nothing. I'm just fickle as hell, plus I am moving out in June/July and really don't want to take an aquarium with me and have the worries of flooding an apartment and not getting my security deposit back. Plus the fact I'll prolly only be there for a year and will have to move the tank again. When I own my own home, I am going to set up a 125 dream tank, but until then it's just not the right hobby for me. I'm far too busy.