PDA

View Full Version : cleaner shrimp just spawned

tsalter
01/12/2005, 08:30 PM
By chance I just caught my cleaner shrimp releasing larva. hundreds of little cleaners swirling in the tank. Then the other cleaner came over and started eating them. Good Stuff. I can't imagine any will survive. but it was pretty cool to see.

T

Brad A.
01/12/2005, 09:41 PM
zooplankton, good coral food

SHOmuchFUN
01/13/2005, 09:37 AM
Hard to find around here though... I don't think PA has it, nor MMR. It has to stay refridgerated, correct?

That's cool as hell though Tom! Too bad you didn't have the 33 up, maybe you could try to rear some of the fry. Cleaner shrimp aren't the cheapest of livestock!

tsalter
01/13/2005, 09:54 AM
Brad meant the baby shrimp were zooplankton. Corals say yum and so do the fish.

I think you would need rotifiers or something to feed them. Not something I think I would want to whip up real quick. maybe next time. Both my cleaners have eggs in them. I would just have to set the 33 up with sponge filter. It would be cool to try that.

T

SHOmuchFUN
01/13/2005, 10:01 AM
Oh, gotcha...
I confused it with the rotifers.

Does that make your skimmer go nuts? A spawning? I know that coral spawning will make a beckett go nuts.

tsalter
01/13/2005, 10:09 AM
I didn't check the skimmer but I doubt that it did much to it.

It was just like having more pods in the tank. Most of them were staying in the main tank and just floating around towards the bottom. It was exactly like if I shot a baster tip of brine shrimp in the tank. Not a real huge event by any means.

T

SHOmuchFUN
01/13/2005, 10:16 AM
Cool... That must've been pretty exciting.

I haven't had anything exciting happen in my tank, since I had some bristleworms spawn in my tank. Inked a really RED substance. That sure got my attention!

Come to think of it, I haven't noticed many bristleworms in my tank lately.