PDA

View Full Version : My new Toy has FINALLY arrived!

MattG
01/12/2005, 05:21 PM
well i finally got my wavebox today and am quite proud of it. The thing is SICK! I had high expectations that were more then met.

Right now if you look at the side of the tank from the point when the wave is the lowest to the point when its the highest its ~2". Roger of tunze estimated that a wavebox on a 120 will do ~15,000 gph. So i figure on my 90 (3/4 of the size) im getting 11,000 gph...ridiculous. When the single 6000 stream is on by itself the tank looks stagnant now :D

Im still waiting on the new multicontroller to get in stock and will eventually add another 6000. I dont think my tank could handle any more flow then that.

Heres some pics. You will have to excuse my tank. I was gone for close to a month and the tank as usual suffers (algae, bleaching,ect....) I recently broke the tank down completely to get rid of some rock and to elevate the stuff i put back in. I still need to add some small pieces to cover up the pvc rack.

http://mupfc.marshall.edu/~george26/wavebox%20(Small).jpg

http://mupfc.marshall.edu/~george26/wavebox2%20(Small).jpg

You cant really get an idea for the movement by pictures and a video would take me forever to upload on my dial up......if any of you are ever in the barboursville area and want to check it out you are more then welcome

LowCel
01/12/2005, 07:28 PM
Congratulations Matt, it's about time! I'm definately going to take you up on seeing it as soon as I get a chance to make the trip.

Also, nice to see that the majority of your algae is gone.

pappygonefishin2002
01/12/2005, 07:38 PM
Yep nice toy, and tank not bad at all after being away for that long

firefish2020
01/12/2005, 11:19 PM
"Roger of tunze estimated that a wavebox on a 120 will do ~15,000 gph"

I'll let you know in a year or so :)

That thing is just incredible Im sure and if you were impressed even more than you thought you would be Im sure it's a given that we will need to get one one day. Keep us updated on the performance of it and it's great to see the algae is getting under control.

MattG
01/13/2005, 04:52 AM
yea the rabbit fish took care of the caulerpa. The dino did come back while i was gone.... i think due to my skimmer going nuts dumping anything it had collected back into the tank. It looks to be going away though. My skimmer has been working over time over the last week. Im having to dump the collection cup every few days.

LowCel
01/13/2005, 05:08 AM
Must be nice, my skimmer hasn't been doing much of anything lately. I think I'm going to have to order a new pump for it.

Anyway......how's the tang doing? Is he coming out much now that he has had time to grow comfortable?

MattG
01/13/2005, 06:32 AM
the tang is doing great! he is out all the time now. Im still not sure what the fish think of the wavebox. They are constantly swaying back and forth now. It doesnt seem to bother them but its definetly a totally different flow pattern then they have been use to. Maybe it reminds them of being back in the ocean :D

Curtis1
01/19/2005, 12:42 AM
So, a closed loop, would be redundant ??? I don't really want to start drilling the new tank. I was reading in the Tunze forum where some of them were switching thier set-ups around to make even bigger waves, than the stock config ???? Did you have to do that ???? Did you mount it with magnets ???? I already sold the 6060, it's somewhere in Indy. I figure that I'll get a couple of 6100's.

MattG
01/19/2005, 07:36 AM
boy curtis you just cant hold onto a piece of equipment for more then a month :D

im not doing the larger wave thing right now because i purchased my stream a while ago and think i have the old driver. Ive never checked. I really dont need a bigger wave :D

I did mount it with magnets. They are a very elegant solution for mounting the tunze equipment. I will probably order an extra one whenever they start becoming an in stock item for my 6000.

I dont think a closed loop would be redundant but it wouldnt be needed. AFter all more flow is always better right :lol:
Right now the right side of the tank has 0 detrius settlement. The left side has a small area where stuff is accumulating. When i get the multicontroller and am able to put the stream on the other side im pretty darn sure this will be eliminated.
Whenever i get the 2nd stream there is no way there will be any type of settlement.

Curtis1
01/19/2005, 07:35 PM
I like to try gadgets and gizmos, when I've tried'em all, I'll get what I liked best. I think that I'm just gonna go with a CL and a pr of 6100's with the multi controller, see how that goes first. Not real crazy bout the big black box in there, but I could live with a couple Streams. Does it have to be on the end,,, can it go on the back wall ???? If a guy's tank had a corner overflow, reckon you could stick it on the side that's not on the end of the tank ??? Does it have to be centered ???? If you got Xenia to grow on it, that would be ok, if they weren't in the way ????

Curtis1
01/19/2005, 07:36 PM
Do the fish actually bob back and forth while treading water ???? That would be cool !!!

LowCel
01/19/2005, 09:58 PM
Curtis, what worries me about xenia growing on my stream is that if pieces of it get sucked in the stream they will be shot all over tha tank basicly creating a xenia garden. That along with the fact that every couple of months the streams need to be soaked in vinegar. I'm not sure how the xenia would like that.

Curtis1
01/19/2005, 11:13 PM
Duh, I never even thought about that. I read in one of the posts where a guy was building an overflow on each side of the wave box, the tank was a peninsula. Roger said that it was ok to have something within 4" of it. Say you took a big piece of the Tonga that you see all the time, you know the ones that look like femors, and put a bunch of xenia or zoos on it and lean it up against the tank ???? Maybe it wouldn't be as noticable in a bigger tank. I know most of the pics of the bigger tanks that I see, you hardly even notice it. I do know that the more I read the more I want one.

MattG
01/20/2005, 11:49 AM
you could cover the wavebox with whatever corals you wanted as long as they were fragged before reaching the outlet. The built in stream is easily removed from the box and that is the only moving part of the system. Its essentially just a specially designed stream in a comline filter

the fish along with everything else actually bob back and forth its nuts.

im really not so sure about how it has to be placed. All i know is it should ideally go the length of the tank and not have anything blocking the path of the outlet (where the stream shoots out of). It doesnt have to be centered. Mine is all the way towards the front. Any more specific then that you'd have to ask roger.

Curtis1
01/21/2005, 12:53 AM
Once again, playin' second fiddle to to the Mattster, that's SICK, Dude I want one,,,, terrible bad !!!!! I could live with it with a bunch of zoo's or an encrusting porites maybe GSP's. Can you take the stream out to clean it without taking the box out ??? Does it come out the box easily ???? Better rethink your signature on your posts !!!!!!

MattG
01/21/2005, 04:27 AM
you could probably remove the stream without removing the box but it would be easier if you did take the box out.

to remove the stream there is a piece of plastic that slides into the bottom of the box. The stream is just pulled out from there. Its very easy.

as far as my signiture it still holds true. My 90 seems smaller and smaller everyday. I think when i get something in the 300 gallon range i might be happy. Well that is of course after i setup the ~1000 gallon aggressive tank. I love triggers :D