PDA

View Full Version : Adding a second tomato clown

Rick O
12/11/2001, 07:12 AM
I have a large female tomato clown in my 120 that I've had for about two years. I've been thinking about adding a juvenile tomato clown. The other fish in the tank are a yellow tang, a regal tang, and a flame angel. All of the fish in the tank get along real well but the tomato is definately the boss of the tank. I don't want the new addition to get beat up so I was going to try and find a real young one. Will the new clown be accepted into the tank without too much harrassment?

Tidepool
12/11/2001, 08:56 AM
I would thing that adding a juvenile to the tank should not cause too many headaches. With a tank as large as yours, he should find no problem finding hiding places if she turns her wrath on him. Just make sure that there are plenty of hiding places and watch closely for the first fw days. If there is a lot of fighting, not just posturing, but actual biting, you may need to try some more drastic measures. Do a search here on RC on Maroon pairing or read in Wilkerson's book about how to pair maroons and try some of these suggestions.
Best of Luck!

Rick O
12/11/2001, 07:01 PM
Thanks Tidepool. I've read Joyce's book and this is the method recommended for adding a second maroon. Unfortunately it will be very difficult to remove the fish once it's added. I would think that by adding a juvenile there would be no doubt in either's mind where their place is on the social ladder. There are plenty of places for the fish to hide. Anybody else have any advice or recommendations?

mastaJ
12/11/2001, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Rick O
Unfortunately it will be very difficult to remove the fish once it's added
On the contrary, IF things are at its worst the juvi will be quivering in the corner if this happens and the fmale is actually making wounds then you should take the juvi out.

I say your tank is big enough, there won't be a prob.