PDA

View Full Version : Jawfish

zaslax
01/10/2005, 04:44 PM
You said in your article that angelfish can not be keep with jawfish. Is there any dwarf angel that would be acceptable to keep with Jawfish? Thanks

hcs3
01/10/2005, 04:48 PM
really depends on the size aquarium. what size are you planning?

zaslax
01/12/2005, 06:33 AM
46gallon bowfront

hcs3
01/12/2005, 01:36 PM
that's awefully tight for both an angel and a jawfish.

if i was to try it i'd probably only try the cherub angelfish, but make sure the jawfish is fully settled in before adding the angel.

HTH

bigdee65
01/13/2005, 03:55 PM
I am planning a 75 gallon reef and I would really like to get a yellowhead jaw. I looked at your article and did some more research on RC and I have be unable to come to a conclusion of what type of sand to use. Should it be medium grain? I was thinking of putting about 4in of sand and add some more rubble on top so the yellowhead can make his den. Also, should I incorporate PVC supports under the rock, or just put the rock in first and then the sand? Clarification on this would be really appreciated, thanks!

hcs3
01/15/2005, 02:20 AM
a mixture of sand sizes works best. a single grain sizes to collapse unto itself. when mixed, the jawfish can work through it and pick out the size it needs. i also like leavinglarger stuff on the surface for it to use to line the burrow and also to close the den hole. FWIW 4" will be tough for it to build a burrow with. if the tank doesn't already contain sand you mayconsider building several preconstructed homes for it.

HTH

henry

bigdee65
01/17/2005, 02:41 PM
I am leaning towards building a few preconstructed homes for the jawfish as the tank is still in the planning phase. I read in another thread that you create a "house" using acrylic, but I am not familiar with acrylic work, is there any other pre-fab home that I can provide? I read that Terra-Cotta pots work well as does PVC. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

hcs3
01/18/2005, 10:22 PM
large diameter pvc will work well. 2" or better with a 90' and 2" - 1" reducer at the sandbed height.

FWIW i had no prior experience in acrylic either. i had my local home depot cut the piece for me and i siliconed them together. worked very well despite not being cosmetically appealing. i don't think the jawfish minded, though.

bigdee65
01/19/2005, 02:45 PM
Great thanks for the input! When I go to home depot to get some stuff I will see if they can do that for me.

One more question, when I bury the 'house' should I leave sand inside the pvc or acrylic so the jawfish can dig it out themself, or make sure to clean it out?

Thanks again.

hcs3
02/02/2005, 03:55 AM
i've always left it empty, but i can't say for sure if that is the recommended way. i look at it like this - the jawfish will tidy up their home anyway they prefer, whether that is by adding or subtracting sand. our job would be to make sure the fish has it's choice of all different grain sizes.

remember the fish will face into the current so position the home accordingly.

HTH

bigdee65
02/02/2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks again for the input, I will make sure to have all the homes I set up face into the current.

-Chris

drewdegenhardt
02/07/2005, 10:14 AM
which article??

hcs3
02/07/2005, 10:47 PM
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/hcs3/

HTH

MSUvsUM
02/15/2005, 01:17 PM
I have a jawfish now that had built himself a home in a great spot in my aquarium, but has now moved to an area that is really not easily viewable. I was wondering if there is any way to encourage him/her? to move to a better spot in the aquarium? If I try to add some substrate and rubble to some spots in the tank, do you think the fish will move again? Thanks.

Also, I have 2 serpent starfish... is this a problem? In your article you mentioned no brittle stars, but didn't mention anything about serpent stars. Thanks again.

hcs3
02/15/2005, 09:18 PM
maybe change the direction of water flow. they prefer to face into the water current because the water brings them food. change the water flow and your feeding location. it is likely it'll relocate to where the food is most available.

i'm not a starfish geek so you are probably better off asking someone with more experience on them than myself. however, IIRC serpants are not predators and instead stick to dead material such as decaying fish or detritus.

HTH