PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy pickling lime?

MayerKT
12/10/2001, 05:51 PM
Okay guys. Don't want to spend the money for official "kalkwasser" so I was hoping I could get some tips on where I can find this pickling lime.

Granted, I haven't searched over hell and highwater to find it, I just thought it would be more efficient to ask and then seek. The more information the better. Like "King Soopers - pickling isle by the mason jars" (by the way, we looked there and didn't see any). Also descriptions of the product packaging would be helpful too.

Thanks a lot!

stevenc64
12/10/2001, 06:37 PM
I actually do buy mine at King Soopers. It wasn't displayed very well so I had to ask an employee to point it out. Also I have an extra bag that I'm not going to use if you are interested.
Steve

FishGeeek
12/11/2001, 10:48 AM
I get mine at "King Soopers - pickling isle by the mason jars!"

Sorry, but that is the exact description I would give you. Its in a green bag and says Mrs Wages. The bag is shaped like a sugar bag, you know tall rectangular. I have also seen it at cub foods.

Brian

theanemoneman
12/12/2001, 09:18 PM
I used to get mine at Albertsons here in Ft. Collins. I went to get more when I got down to one bag and they don't stock it anymore. I went to buy it online at Mrs. Wages and they were out of stock! I sure hope King's has it here.

Mark

Jerry Gonzales
12/13/2001, 07:41 AM
I also went looking for some, but I guess with pickling season over at mid September. I had no luck finding it at any local stores.

jmisztal
12/14/2001, 05:36 PM
To take it one step further, what the heck is the formula once you have the lime?

Thanks!

Jimi

Jerry Gonzales
12/14/2001, 11:31 PM
I use 1 to 2 spoonfulls of the Powder . I mix it my bucket, then let it set an hour before I open my valve. I usually make 4 to 5 gallons each time. HTH's

theanemoneman
12/15/2001, 12:35 PM
I mix 1 tsp/gallon. Calcium hydroxide is not very soluble so that's enough to make a super saturated solution (saturated to the point where some falls out of soution). Let is sit overnight and add only the clear solution.

Mark