PDA

View Full Version : Meeting idea

Bugs825
01/10/2005, 06:30 AM
hey guys

i had an idea of making DIY live rock at a meeting. i have been looking into this and it seem pretty simple. i have made propigation plugs and am now working on rocks that the plugs fit into. I like this idea because the way live rock is "harvested" bothers me a lot. the main goal in this hobby for me is to enjoy all of these awesome creatures and make sure that my son can too.

let me know how you all feel.

Nathan

myakkareef
01/10/2005, 09:04 AM
Good idea Nathan, I say go for it...Would love to learn how myself...

Agu
01/10/2005, 12:00 PM
Sounds like a great idea ! We'll have to get Rocky on board though, he's the resident pro.

Agu

Bugs825
01/10/2005, 12:22 PM
GREAT if Rocky has done this before and has some tips that would be great. and if i get to host a meeting and we plan it for then i'm all game. plus it will help me get my garage in order!

Nathan

Agu
01/10/2005, 08:50 PM
Can I recruit you for hosting a meeting :D ?

Winter might be best if we're hanging out in a garage, like Feb or March ??

Agu

Bugs825
01/11/2005, 02:30 AM
I would be honored!
:thumbsup:

Agu
01/11/2005, 09:20 PM
How does Feb sound ? I'll check with Rocky to see when he's available and if he's willing to teach a class. We might have to all kick in a few bucks to pay for materials. I think this a great idea !!

Agu

Bugs825
01/12/2005, 06:19 AM
sounds good to me and i promise :worried: that i will have my garage in ship shape. I have a wheel barrel and i can get a bunch of crushed shells from the beach to make our molds. (shhhhh!!!!! don't tell the erosion control people) I like the way shells give it a more pours surface than sand. ummmmmm i think that a bag of portland cement is about 8 bucks and sand is about 3 bucks at home depot. those and the shells from the beach and we are set! i can cure them and bring them to the next meeting. that is a way to get everyone to go to the next meeting. he he he!

3 bags of cement
3 bags of sand
say about 40 bucks total

and what about food? there must be food.

can we set a date at the meeting with input from all, so i can know when D-Day is for the garage? or do you have one in mind? i work tuesday - sunday at 7:00 pm so morning/early afternoon is good.

i cannot wait
Nathan

myakkareef
01/12/2005, 04:14 PM
I would be good the 12th,13th or 19th,20th, I can chip in some $$ to help...Also need to cover how to cure this creation once it is formed and dryed....Early those days are good also...

scubadude
01/12/2005, 08:43 PM
Hey Guys :)

As long as I know a date I will take off work and be there for this meeting! Couple of notes though on materials, which I can bring some as I still have some available. You can use crushed oyster shell in replacement of crushed coral, also my last batch of rocks that I made where done with some red dye and it makes the LR's look alot more natural....I have plenty of dye left for everyone so we shouldnt need any of that. The crushed oyster shell can be had at any feed store.

Agu
01/12/2005, 10:36 PM
Rocky,

Glad to see you found this thread !! If you and Bugs want to work out a date and time in Feb or March that's fine with me.

As I recall you used pasta/macaroni to create voids in the argocrete. Since then I've read about using rock salt instead to avoid having organics in the curing system. What do you think of that idea?

Agu

scubadude
01/13/2005, 01:33 PM
Bugs how does Febuary 20th sound (This is a sunday)? Start @ 2pm?

Yeah Agu, the pasta is old news...there are better other ways to do the voids now...I just use sand....you can actually make a really weak rock mix that will wash out fairly easy too...naturally have a stronger rock mix there as well and just use the weaer rock mix by itself let it cure then put those DRY weak rock mix rocks mixed in with your stronger rock mix.

Bugs825
01/15/2005, 06:13 AM
hey Rocky,

Feb. 20 at 2:00 sounds good and if its going to be that close to dinner time we have to have food. I can make something and people bring sides and stuff.

what do you think?

Nathan

Agu
01/15/2005, 12:58 PM
If you're in agreement and Rocky can get the day off I'll send an early email so people who work Sundays can make arrangements.

Agu

scubadude
01/16/2005, 03:04 AM
I put in for the day off, so it shouldnt be a problem.

Agu
01/16/2005, 08:39 PM
Rocky,

What are you doing online at 3 am ???

:lol: ,

Agu

scubadude
01/17/2005, 02:49 AM
LOL I have allocated some of my online time after work which is usually between 2-3 am now...I usually get off work around 1:30 or 2am