PDA

View Full Version : speaker:Dr Bruce Carlson

myreef
01/09/2005, 01:13 PM
Dr Bruce Carlson is speaking in Atlanta on Tuesday 1/11... details can be found here:

www.atlantareefclub.org

Mafiaman
01/09/2005, 01:42 PM
And the Atlanta-smas is proud to help!

www.atlanta-smas.org

myreef
01/09/2005, 01:50 PM
Then why can't this same information be put on the ASMAS site? When I posted it there, it was deleted/edited for shilling...? I thought this was about promoting the hobby....

The Atlanta Southern Marine Aquarium Society (ASMAS) is committed to establishing an organization for the education of its members, and the general public; concerning methods of constructing maintaining, and advancing an artificial reef environment. To further public interest in the welfare of the natural marine environment. To provide meetings, and a forum for the purpose of sharing resources, and information within the aquarium hobby. Finally to foster camaraderie, enjoyment, and the pursuit of sustainable reefs, and fish keeping.

Mafiaman
01/09/2005, 02:29 PM
I do not understand your tone Andy, Dr Bruce Carlson has always been welcome to promote his lectures, as is anyone who is a creditible speaker on the matter.

Finally to foster camaraderie, enjoyment, and the pursuit of sustainable reefs, and fish keeping.

Rick O
01/09/2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by myreef
Then why can't this same information be put on the ASMAS site?
I would like to know that too. Dr Carlson is the Vice President for Life Sciences at the new Georgia Aquarium and is a very big part of the Atlanta reefing community. It would be a shame for someone to miss this event because the information is being purposefully withheld from a small segment of the local reefing community.

Mafiaman
01/09/2005, 04:01 PM
Niether of you are members, but both seem intent on making an issue of a shill post in a completly different forum.
And as I said above,
Dr Bruce Carlson has always been welcome to promote his lectures, as is anyone who is a creditible speaker on the matter.

I will be asking the Moderators to close this thread, it has nothing to do with this club or Saltwater Aquariums.

myreef
01/09/2005, 04:13 PM
I will ask them to keep it open.... I am promoting Bruce Carlson's meeting that is upcoming in Atlanta for all Atlantan's...Period.

My tone is as a hobbyist that doesn't like censorship.

Rick O
01/09/2005, 04:19 PM
The Atlanta Reef Club forum on TRT has allowed you to promote ASMAS on their forum in the past. If cross posting is not a two way street then you will need to cease promoting ASMAS on the ARC forums on TRT.

BTW was the decision to edit MyReef's thread made by a majority vote of ASMAS members or was it a decision made "behind the iron curtain"?;)

Mafiaman
01/09/2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Rick O
The Atlanta Reef Club forum on TRT has allowed you to promote ASMAS on their forum in the past. If cross posting is not a two way street then you will need to cease promoting ASMAS on the ARC forums on TRT.

Please go to the ARC forum on TRT and see the post titled "Completed 11' tank 340 gallons pictures" it was locked for cross posting. So your above statment is false.

As far as the ASMAS board goes, when you become members you will have a say in how it is run.
But I am wondering about the ajenda of Crusty Crab and Myreef, and may be putting it up for a vote soon.

There are zero private forums on ASMAS as the 30+ people who were in my home saw. So no iron curtain.

Rick O
01/09/2005, 04:30 PM
You were given the reason it was closed. TRT does not allow links to sites where you have to register to view the information.

Agenda? LOL. I have no agenda. I just enjoy reefing as a hobby.:)

Mafiaman
01/09/2005, 04:36 PM
So no cross posting is permitted as you said.

But that is not the issue, Andy made a shill post and it was edited and he was given the reason.

Rick O
01/09/2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Mafiaman
So no cross posting is permitted as you said.
Well we have in the past.
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37436
But if this arrangement is no longer acceptable to you then we'll just have to live with it. I have removed the asmas link from your sig line at TRT.

Rick O
01/09/2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Mafiaman
And the Atlanta-smas is proud to help!

www.atlanta-smas.org
I'm curious, how is asmas helping in this event?

Mafiaman
01/09/2005, 05:04 PM
This is an Atlanta-smas forum on RC and it is being used to promote his talk, Is that not helping?

If it was not for the Atlanta-smas club there would be no representation here. Because the ARC two years ago decided they could not obied by the guide lines set forth by RC.

So with out the Atlanta-smas, the Atlanta area would have zero exposure on the largest saltwater forum.

Mafiaman
01/09/2005, 05:16 PM
I will be at the ARC BOD meeting ( I am a PAID member thru Jan 1, 2006) tonight and I will bring up the relationship of one club with the other and we will work it out.
I have announced every event the ARC has had in 6 months to the ASMAS so I do my part.
I'm courius as to what positive things either of you have done?

BBL.

wasabi
01/09/2005, 06:23 PM
wow. i every asmas meeting i have attended has promoted and announced all of the arc events with pride...i dont think we have any members who dont respect the arc.sounds like a personal issue, that needs to be handled by pm's. cause it really accomplishes nothing for the arc or asmas....Dr Bruce Carlson is an excellent lecturer and his presentation would be worth attending.

myreef
01/09/2005, 07:04 PM
I agree Curtis, but when I tried to post the announcement on the ASMAS site it was edited and removed. So I had no other choice but to move it here where I would say less than a majority of ASMAS members come. i though there could be a cynergy between clubs, not things like censorship.

NuclearReefs
01/10/2005, 11:22 PM
well,, i have tried to get signed up on the Smas loacl board 5 times,, and still not received my email back.. I guess who ever is admin on that site should be notified. Id like to have attended the meeting as well......

nathan

Mafiaman
01/11/2005, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by NuclearReefs
well,, i have tried to get signed up on the Smas loacl board 5 times,, and still not received my email back.. I guess who ever is admin on that site should be notified. Id like to have attended the meeting as well......

nathan

What name did you try and sign up under?

Also if you are using gmail it won't reply to you.

SugarShiki
01/11/2005, 05:04 PM
Well, while you gents are busy pulling things out...for us newbie reefers who are interested in attending anything that will provide information from anyone knowing more than I do concerning reef-keeping...

Did I miss the lecture already???

Shiki

Rick O
01/11/2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by SugarShiki

Did I miss the lecture already???
No, it's tonight. Click the link in the first post and you will get the details.

Mafiaman
01/11/2005, 05:09 PM
http://atlanta-smas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=265

It is also right here

SugarShiki
01/11/2005, 05:12 PM
Thank U both...got it...!

myreef
01/12/2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks to the ARC (http://www.atlantareefclub.org) for getting Bruce to come...it was truly an amazing night.

Mafiaman
01/12/2005, 02:03 PM
I was disapointed by it, I drove a long way to what was billed as "Coral Culture Techniques" some thing we could all use in our aquariums. And little or nothing that he spoke of dealt with the home aquarium.

Now don't get me wrong, the footages of fiji reefs and the bleaching of reefs in fiji was awsome, much like what you'd see on discovery channel, but not what it was billed as and what I and others had hoped to see.

Thank you to the Atlanta Reef Club for setting it up though.

myreef
01/12/2005, 07:34 PM
HAHAHAHA... Apparently we were in different auditoriums.

MsReeReee
01/15/2005, 05:34 AM
Guys i really wish u would stop the hashing and go and take it out on the golf course .............Maybe the exercise will help.......That is what i always told my son.................LOL

MsReeReee
01/15/2005, 05:47 AM
Just thought I would also say that I was sorry that I didn't get to go to Piedmont and listen as I had to work and thankful to The Atlanta Reef Club for presenting this...........IM also Thankful that I can now go to meetings at ASMAS as work keeps me from going to the Tuesdays meeting as I belong to both clubs and really enjoy being part of both of them ..........I think this is what it is all about learning and enjoying and educating everyone of the environment and making this world a better place for future generations..........for me any way