PDA

View Full Version : Monday Evening wanna come play

o2manyfish
01/08/2005, 04:25 PM
Hey Folks,

If all goes well on Monday I will be receiving a Tunze Wavemaker.

I am going to be setting it up on my 360 display tank.

If you would like to come over and see a) if it works, and b) how cool it is.

Bring some pizza and come on over.

I am going to try to use the Wavebox mounted behind the island in the display tank. If it won't work in this location a new Tunze wavebox will be looking for a new home.

Dave B

cali_reef
01/09/2005, 01:31 AM
Take pictures!!

What are the dimensions and does it have to mount to a flat surface?

moonpod
01/09/2005, 01:58 AM
Yes it has to mount on a flat surface and the front cannot be impeded/blocked

goofball310
01/12/2005, 04:36 PM
How'd it turn out?

moonpod
01/14/2005, 02:47 PM
He's having trouble with it probably due to placement though who knows. I am still tuning mine.

Pepbill
01/19/2005, 09:05 PM
Yeah how'd it go

moonpod
01/20/2005, 01:10 PM
Dave was last heard saying that he was going to try to move it to the end of his tank and see if that improved performance. Mine is working quite nicely on my 180.

moonpod
01/22/2005, 11:05 PM
For those wondering if it works and what it's like:
http://homepage.mac.com/moonpod/iMovieTheater19.html

Maximus
01/28/2005, 12:01 AM
Does the water motion bother you? Specifically, the constant fluctuation of the water level at the top of the tank? I have a rimless tank with no canopy and I'm trying to see if the motion is bothersome. I really had a tough time looking at one of Roger's videos due to the motion.

o2manyfish
01/28/2005, 12:16 AM
Watching the Videos and some of the demo tanks can get annoying.

However, if you have a canopy with a lip that covers the water line it's not so bad.

The wave box on my tank is very subtle. Basically I get about a 3/4" single wave...

Although in my tank it's not so much as a tank, as the water is rocking up and down at the ends of the tank.

However, I do notice that even looking inside the rock work, and behind the rock mounted on the back wall, I can see that about 90% of the water in the tank is moving.

Dave B

Maximus
01/28/2005, 12:55 AM
Ahh, that's the problem. I dont have a canopy. My tank is trimless as well. More than likely, the water movement would affect me. What do you think Dave?

moonpod
01/28/2005, 01:37 AM
If you are talking motion sickness, it won't be a problem. Your eye won't focus on the wave.

The bigger problem is that if you're not careful with a trimless tank, you will have splash/over the top wave problems.

cali_reef
01/28/2005, 01:47 AM
Chuck,

Where is a good place to order my own wave box?

Maximus
01/28/2005, 01:48 AM
Hey Moonpod,
The tank is eurobraced by leemar, so the splashing should be minimal. So, you dont foresee any motion sickness problems?

moonpod
01/28/2005, 01:56 AM
Maximus you'd have to deliberately sit there and stare at the wave and then I STILL don't think you would get sick. You simply don't look at the moving portion. You're looking at other things in your tank.

Pierce, get on EVERYONE's waitlist. They ask before they ship. I got mine from Premium, but I get an impression somehow that MD's list moves faster and they turn the product around faster than Premium does. Premium and MD got magnets at the same time, I got the magnets from MD almost a week before I got 'em from Premium. It's not "where I was on the waitlist" b/c they got magnets at the same time, and only one shipment of 'em came in. I don't like ordering from Champion, I dunno why.

cali_reef
01/28/2005, 02:10 AM
Chuck,
I will be using this on a 1/2 inch thick glass tank with a euro brace, do I need the magnets too?

moonpod
01/28/2005, 10:18 AM
it's the easiest way to mount it IMO.

kim92111
01/31/2005, 02:37 AM
Hey Chuck:

What is that sound in the background of your video?

cali_reef
01/31/2005, 09:26 AM
Chuck,

Got one over the weekend, so far I like it. Did you take the blue foam around the stream off or did you left it on?

moonpod
01/31/2005, 10:21 AM
that's supposed to stay on.

Stan, I dunno maybe fans? My tank isn't that quiet really.

greenighs
01/31/2005, 04:25 PM
Dave, what's the noise like? The sales info says the mechanism is silent, but does the water movement make a lot of noise?

moonpod
01/31/2005, 04:45 PM
It kinda makes the overflows slurp a little. If you have noisy overflows it will make it say 20% worse. If you don't have noisy overflows you will be fine. It's really not bad at all in my system.

o2manyfish
01/31/2005, 08:52 PM
I moved the Wavebox to the front corner of the tank, I heard the pump turning on and off.. It made a whirring noise.

Sometimes the overflows slurp (I run dual 2" custom Durso's.) But I also run a large surge tank. Randomly when the surge goes off, it raises the water all the way to the top of the acrylic tank. Sometimes the air get trapped from the wavebox and the surge and it makes a big slap sound.

I am super critical about noises, so i noticed the pump on the wavebox. In most system's I don't think people would notice.

Dave B

cali_reef
02/01/2005, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by o2manyfish
I moved the Wavebox to the front corner of the tank, I heard the pump turning on and off.. It made a whirring noise.

the one in my tank does the same, Cindy is not happy with that while watching the plasma at night.

moonpod
02/01/2005, 01:59 AM
I don't notice it on mine, BUT by report the noise diminishes with time.

o2manyfish
02/13/2005, 02:46 PM
Pierce,

I moved mine back to behind the island - Without it being attached to any sides of the tank it is much quieter. And I can only hear it when I stand in front of the tank.

Dave B