PDA

View Full Version : How's the reef scene

bugshop
01/08/2005, 06:55 AM
Hi Greenville area reefers,
I've been made a job offer in the
Greenville area and was wondering what
the reef scene is like up there?

I was also wondering what area would be the best to live?

I'd be working in the south side of Greenville at
the Donaldson Center Airport and wouldn't want to
drive too far to get to work.

Thanks,
Timmy

Jamesurq
01/10/2005, 10:22 AM
The reef scene is pretty weak as far as I can tell. Just moved here and I'm having a tough time getting a lot of interest in the club I started....

As far as places to live. You have school aged children? Makes a big difference with the schools...

bugshop
01/10/2005, 04:57 PM
Hi James,
Yes we have school age children.
We're thinking the Mauldin (sp) area
but havn't been up there looking at
houses for rent yet to get an idea.

I would rather live in the NW side of town but
I don't know what the schools are like and I'm
not sure I would want to drive all the way around
town to the airport to work.

I thought you would have good luck with a club up there.
I know that there are several people in the area on RC and TRT.
If I take this job there will be one more in that area willing to get
an active club started.

Timmy

Jamesurq
01/10/2005, 05:39 PM
I live off Woodruff Road and 14 - right on the border of Simpsonville and Greenville. The schools in my area are some of the best in the state (doesn't say much).

The housing is a little higher than some other areas - but there's some reasonably priced neighborhoods that are nice.

My kids will actually go to Mauldin Middle and High - which are both pretty highly rated. Riverside is considered the best in regards to middle and high - but my kids are all very young so we went with the best Elementary school.

Good luck with the job offer - hope to see you in town.

cichfreek
01/10/2005, 10:09 PM
Hey Timmy,

Mauldin's not a bad area. It's close to I-85 and 385 so you can get to about anywhere you go. As far as schools Mauldin's are pretty good. It's a nice area. What grade levels are you looking at? My wife's a teacher so I can give you a pretty educated opinion on the schools around here.

Later,

Craig

bugshop
01/10/2005, 10:56 PM
[i] The housing is a little higher than some other areas - but there's some reasonably priced neighborhoods that are [/B]

Thanks for the info, James.
We may soon be neighbors:cool:

Hi Craig, My kids would be 9th 8th and my littlest is only 2years.

Do yall know anything about a new LFS,
SW only, comming to Greenville?

We had our local club meeting tonight and the guy that kinda hosted it at the BassPro shop, was telling us about a friend of his
that is opening up a SW only store in Greenville.

Timmy

Jamesurq
01/11/2005, 08:38 AM
Craig is hoping you're full of it - he runs the best (only good) fish store in Greenville.

It's funny Craig, that day I bought the pair of percs I drove my family all over town just to see if there was any other stores worth buying from - couldn't find one fish that was worth a second look in any other stores...

Oh - by the way, do you want those frogspawns? I'll shoot you a picture of them tonight.

cichfreek
01/11/2005, 02:25 PM
I don't know of anything about another salt store opening here. We've been here for just over a year, and I don't know anyone in MB so I doubt its me. There was a guy here in town that rumors had he was opening a store but he's never said he was and he buys from me every now and then.

As far as schools: High Schools would be Riverside (Greer), JL Mann (Greenville), and Mauldin. Middle Schools would be Mauldin Middle and Riverside Middle. I talk to my wife tonight and see if she has any more thoughts.

Jamesurq
01/11/2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by cichfreek
As far as schools: High Schools would be Riverside (Greer), JL Mann (Greenville), and Mauldin. Middle Schools would be Mauldin Middle and Riverside Middle. I talk to my wife tonight and see if she has any more thoughts.

Bingo - Riverside is highest rated, but that puts your youngest in the less desirable elementary - Buena Vista.

They're all pretty good though when compared to pretty much any other schools in the area... Trust me - I checked EVERY source I could find. The only reason why I live where I do is because of the schools. With 4 kids you have to be sure that they get the best eductation the government can buy... :)

IE: I work in Spartanburg and would rather do a 25 minute commute than have to pay for 4 private school educations...

bugshop
01/11/2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Jamesurq
Craig is hoping you're full of it - he runs the best (only good) fish store in Greenville.

Sorry Craig,
I didn't see that you are a LFS owner
I guess I should look before I type :rolleye1:
I think his name is Chuck ??

Where is your store?
I'll have to check it out when I come up there.

Thanks for the info on the schools,
I'll have to check out the area when I get up there.

Timmy

Jamesurq
01/11/2005, 05:56 PM
His store is Oceans Floor - you can find the address on the internet.

If you join our reef club (GRS) he'll sell you Oceanic 200 gallon buckets for $40 a piece.... Assuming he has some left...

bugshop
01/11/2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the info James,
But I stole your idea and got a LFS store here to
make the same deal:smokin:

Timmy

bugshop
01/11/2005, 06:32 PM
OH BTW
We talked at our meeting last night
about a sand trade.
Do you think you guys up there would want to?

And we have mud/nass. snails on the flats here
if anyone wants some LMK
I have some in my tank. they stay mostly in the sand but will
work the glass some too.

Timmy

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=52465&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

cichfreek
01/11/2005, 07:55 PM
No problems Timmy. Yeah I know Chuck. I've heard that rumor, and even asked him about it, but he acted like he wasn't. Could just be blowing smoke up my skirt. He does a lot of servicing up here and a lot of people like him. I know he does some proping.

Jamesurq
01/11/2005, 10:46 PM
sand trade? Have you seen my thread in the reef forum? :)

bugshop
01/11/2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Jamesurq
sand trade? Have you seen my thread in the reef forum? :)

LOL
No I don't read much on RC other than club forums lately.

I just remember you doing it in the past.

Timmy

davidfrances
01/24/2005, 02:50 PM
Finally getting around to some R&R after year end and came across this thread. I live in Greenville, SC and my neighborhood is in the Riverside / Buena Vista school district. My neighbors rave aboout these schools, but we don't have kids. Good luck finding a home, there's a few new subdivisions going up, most are in the $250k+ range.

Jamesurq
01/24/2005, 03:14 PM
Hey David,

Which neighborhood? We looked at quite a few in that area. Sugar Mill, Sugar Creek? Something like that....

davidfrances
01/24/2005, 08:24 PM
I live in Ascot, it's at the intersection of Batesville & Devenger, right between Suger Mill and Barrington Park. We have two or three houses for sale right now. It's a good community with a pool. There's also a new subdivision going up next to Thornblade on Devenger, homes will start in the low-200's.

Jamesurq
01/25/2005, 08:32 AM
no kidding - I looked at ascot. Nice neighborhood. The only home available when I looked was the one right in front that had a little sign out front that said "not a model home - private residence".... Zero privacy with that one.. :)

bugshop
01/25/2005, 04:43 PM
Hi guys,
Thanks for all the input.
That sounds nice but may be a little
more than I can afford.
I'm going to have to rent for a while:rolleyes:

We're having a hard time finding a high school that
has ROTC and 4 by 4 block classes for my son.
I hate for him to loose the credit for the last half
of the school year.
The only school that he can transfer to without having to
repeat the 9th grade next year is Blue Ridge, north of Greer.
Or wait till schools out and hope the job is still there in June.

Timmy