PDA

View Full Version : A florida alliance/co-op ?

scubadude
01/07/2005, 02:19 PM
I have purchased the domain www.coralfarmers.com for the sole purpose of backing up our prized possesions. I have come to know more and more hobbyist that seem to utilize certain corals that have comfort zones in their tanks. How many times have you lost a coral because of elect. outages or other reasons beyond your control? What if you had say 6+ frags in other aquarist tanks of that coral? then wouldnt it be a great insurance policy for you? And what if you had 6+ different frags of others that where in this alliance in your tank? I am looking for others that have multiple corals and are propagating on a normal level(rare or hard to find) that want to participate in this. I am willing to split the cost of the site equally amongst all farmers but would like to review their list of corals and pictures before agreeing to acceptance, as well as the other members of the alliance agreeing to acceptance. Can you imagine how much more exciting a State wide frag trade could be with this kind of utlization? You can view this site which is still in its early stages of growth and I hope for it to be a global site for farmers eventually but want to start small

Let me know if your interested.

Agu
01/08/2005, 08:51 PM
Pfffftttt, I don't even have six different corals in any of my tanks let alone six frags :lol: .

However Rocky I think it's a great idea. Basically you're talking about "banking" corals in friends tanks. We did it when I was in the Minneapolis club, coral frags were free and the understanding was that we all helped each other out. One member expressed it best, "I can't afford to miss a meeting, it'll cost me a $100 in free frags ! " I think that those who can participate should, it's like buying insurance for your reef tank. Downside was that all our tanks had the same corals .

BTW, lmk when you're up and running so I can frag the corals you gave me (and a few more) to help you get restocked .

Good luck with this venture ,

Agu

RipTide's Reef
01/08/2005, 10:42 PM
Hello Rocky:

A friend of mine, who says he has seen your farm personally (and was very impressed) directed me to your thread. I would be extremely grateful if you would include me in this alliance. I have done exactly what you are proposing locally on a smaller scale for a few years. It works very well. The person who posted the other thread made a good point, locally we had mostly the same corals. I think with the distance between us and the different specialties, we could share some very interesting corals, and expand our own collections a great deal. This is a great idea and I will be waiting to hear your response.

Thanks!!!

Billy
RipTide's Reef

myakkareef
01/10/2005, 09:12 AM
Rocky, as you know my tank is all softies, but I would donote frags of any item I have if your interested, and also help out in any way I can...

mike4271
01/10/2005, 09:15 AM
Hi Rocky (AKA Rick), just setting up two more tanks so it will be a little while before they are ready, but yes I would love to paticipate, Mike (AKA Mark)