PDA

View Full Version : ReefSplendor Meeting

katspaw
12/08/2001, 09:39 PM
I would like to thank the hosts of our meeting/ gathering today. Dan and Joe, Ya'll did a beautiful job For some of us it was a long drive, but well worth the trip I am sure that I speak for everyone who attended when I say this. The corals and the clam I got are all doing great in the tank and the clam has already opened and is showing his colors. Beautiful piece. I would also like to thank everyone who showed up and made this one of oour largest gatherings ever in club history. I am sure that we will not forget it. It was great meeting with so many of you that I have talked to in the past on this and other message boards. Some of you truely surprised me. I would also like to congradulate the three winners of the raffles the where held. Preston, Dave and Mark. I hope ya'll enjoy your prizes. Now we are all going to have to do this again soon.

Tracey

JohnL
12/08/2001, 11:19 PM
I had a nice time and enjoyed meeting you and the others. Dan and Joe were great hosts and their operation is quite impressive. :thumbsup:

Johnny Reef
12/08/2001, 11:29 PM
I too was at the meeting and had a great time. This place is huge!!! The owners were extremely friendly and knowledgeable. I picked up a cup coral, galaxea, green star polyp, bubble coral and mushrooms - they are all doing great!!! Plus we got free food which was delicious!!!

Great Place!!!:cool:

MiNdErAsR
12/09/2001, 08:04 AM
I had a great time. Was really nice seeing old friends and making new ones. The bucket of salt I bought is doing great! :bigeyes: But seriously, I'd like to thank Dan and Joe for hosting (great place guys! good luck) and the New Jersey Reef Club for having us non-members! I took some photos which can be seen here (http://users.rcn.com/jfox61/new_pix/ReefSplendor-120801/). Enjoy, and thanks again.

DaveP
12/09/2001, 06:26 PM
I would just like to thank everyone that organized the trip!! It was spectacular!!
Dan and Joe were wonderful hosts!!
DaveP

johnny
12/09/2001, 10:15 PM
I agree with all of the above, ya'll were great!

I have a picture of I think just about every coral there... my gf loves to take pics.... now I just need to find someplace to upload 64mb of pics :) Anyone have any ideas??

Special thanks to those who traded with me and gave me frags! Let's all try to post pics of the corals we got/traded for in the main forum. I'll put mine up as soon as I find space.

Nick

katspaw
12/10/2001, 08:10 AM
Hey Nick,
ReefTalk has a gallery that you can upload pictures to and then link them if you want to use it. I think it will let you link to other sites, Honestly I have never tried it. I know we can link them to their message board.

Tracey

johnny
12/10/2001, 10:06 AM
Tracey,

I definitely might need to do that.

Nick

volk23
12/10/2001, 02:33 PM
damn it, i knew it was gonna rock there, but i coudnt go :( but we found a house we liked and put an offer on it ! :)

katspaw
12/10/2001, 04:28 PM
has anyone heard from Aquariust, (John). He normally responds to the threads right away. I am a little worried now.

Tracey

johnny
12/10/2001, 05:24 PM
Tracey,

I haven't heard from him but he did post yesterday about the meeting, so he must have made it home, he must just be busy/sidetracked.

Nick

Aquariust
12/10/2001, 06:20 PM
LOL:) We never made it home:mad: J/K The parkway was a nightmare though. Who else had some crappy weather conditions to drive home in?

Yes, I was sidetracked. Tired mostly. Sometimes even "I" must take a break from the slave machine and watch the dreaded TV.

I'll post some pics tonight and over the next few days as my schedule allows.

It was great seeing everybody, I thought every thing went great. Met alotta great reefers, whom you talk to, but never actually see. It's nice to be able to put faces on those whom you talk with.

Those who bought Live Sand WARNING! 2 of the small rubble rocks had aptaisa on it. Check your sand!

I can't wait for this place to be done! I really wanted to see some fish! Oh well, we'll be back there I'm sure, at least I will to get a piece or two of that shelf rock.

I was very impressed with Reef Splendor! Joe and Dan were awesome hosts! The facility is very impressive. I can't wait to see it all matured. Especially that show tank. Was it just me, or shouldn't that tank be more in the middle so it can be viewed from all 4 sides? That's why the overflow is in the center right? I guess we'll see the future plans in the future to come.

I don't know what you guys from upstate NJ and NY pay for corals, but down here in Philly prices were much more reasonible. I personally thought the coral prices were a bit high. Especially for them being a wholsealer.

The food was AWESOME! And the raffle of a wavemaker and refractometer was a very nice gesture!

I was alittle confused on why so little people brought frags to trade? And, no Johnny the corals are doing great! The FS is much more than I expected, Thank You!

Had a great time otherwise, and would glady do it again! Hope to see everyone soon.

-John

Joe@ReefSplendor
12/10/2001, 06:49 PM
Thanks for all your kind words guys.....and thanks for all those great pics that Johnny and MiNdErAsR took. They were great!!! You might see some of those appear on our site some day ;)

Aquariust,
First off, sorry about that aipastia. We always try and rid our sand bed and live rock vats of all the nasties that we find. I guess those little suckers got past us this time...
As for the fish system...we are planning that out now and hope to have something running asap. You had commented on the placement of the display tank and that kind of ties in with the fish system and additional coral tanks. That is one of the reasons for it being almost to the wall. Ceiling height was another main concern for it. If you noticed the ceiling above the tank was MUCH higher than the rest of the facility. It gives us the ability to light the tank however we want. It basically had to go there.

I don't know what you guys from upstate NJ and NY pay for corals, but down here in Philly prices were much more reasonible. I personally thought the coral prices were a bit high. Especially for them being a wholsealer.

We set our prices this way on purpose. You must understand,
we are a wholesale operation and sell to the retail stores in the area. If we sold our corals to the public at wholesale prices, do you think the retailers would appreciate this? I honestly believe that our prices on Saturday were quite reasonable...

At least you enjoyed the food though :D

Keep those emails and posts coming.
We appreciate everyone's feedback......
Thanks again for taking the trip to our facility.
We know some of you came a long way to visit us.

Aquariust
12/10/2001, 07:22 PM
Hey np Joe! I couldn't even comprehend looking through all that rubble rock for aptaisa. It happens, nothing bad towards you, just wanted to alert my fellow reefers to be on the safe side.

If the show tank had to go there, than it had to go there:) I guess you have to think about these things when your tank is 36" tall:eek2:

Don't get me wrong, the prices were reasonable. Just not exceptional. I understand the wholesale thing. Just stunk having the meeting a few weeks before Christmas. Some of us poor reefers only had $27 to spend on corals. There wasn't a single coral for that price marked. Luckily, Joe sold me a spagetti leather (alittle bigger than a frag) for $20, and I must say it's doing awesome!

And let's be serious here, you had to have made a little profit from the experience. Obviously, you wouldn't be in business if you didn't. I had no problem spending my money in your store.

Your looking out while I'm looking in, of course we're gonna have different views:)

I enjoyed the visit very much, and I wouldn't hesitate recommending you to others, and spending more money myself.

Thanks Again

DaveP
12/10/2001, 09:03 PM
John,
I have those mushrooms if you want them. I am more than willing to ship them to you if you want. I also have a candy coral (I think thats what its called). You can have that as well. The mushrooms I have are blue and ultra red. Just let me know if you are interested and they are yours!
DaveP
pipernod@aol.com

Dan@ReefSplendor
12/10/2001, 09:42 PM
Aquariust

We enjoyed hosting you folks, getting to meet fellow reefers
is always a great pleasure.

I would like to briefly explain what we are attempting to focus
on at Reef Splendor. Basically, it is to get many more people
involved in the hobby. We can have a great web site, Ads in
FAMA, banners on the boards etc... but that is not going to
bring anyone new into the hobby.

We ALL NEED THE RETAILERS, they are the ones that are the point of presence to potential newcomers (you know, those poor unsuspecting folks that are certain to become hooked like the rest of us).

The LFS needs the support of the local reefers in order to continue to make money. Actually, the more attractive it becomes (that means the more $ they make) the more likely they are to improve their selection and quality of staff. When you compare the average LFS w/ an internet company you have to consider numerous factors... their overhead is usually significantly higher, you get to SEE what you are buying, they give you advice and are there when you need them... that is the measure of a good LFS. I realize that everyone wants to obtain corals at a reasonable cost and that is what we intend to assist the retailers in doing. Does everyone really want to drive to Hopewell Junction to get a large variety of quality livestock when they can get great stuff locally.... I dont think so

Honestly, we choose a very remote location to avoid being in direct competition w/ retailers and price our goods accordingly, we have a very large selection adn we really arent the most expensive either simply competitive.

We have been told repeatedly that others have tried what Reef Splendor is doing and have failed. We do not anticipate failure, we have investigated history and dont intend on repeating it.

If we all work togeather we may actually be able to bring prices down across the board, increase availabilty of quality products, and be environmentally sensitive. Maybe I am an idealist but I truly believe it is possible and I am investing substantial dollars in that pursuit.

Sorry for the lenght of the reply but I thought it was important

johnny
12/11/2001, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Danreef
Does everyone really want to drive to Hopewell Junction to get a large variety of quality

Hey now, leave me out of that one ;) I for one don't mind driving the 15 mins down the road when I'm visiting my parents :D
ahhhhhhh it feels so good.... all those years with people who lived by tropicorium or premium aquatics, etc rubbing it in us NYers (not including NYC and LI) faces about how close they live to great stores and how they can actually get non-brown sps, well hahahah it's payback time baby!!!

Ok so maybe i've had a bit too much coffee tonight while studying for finals ;)

Dan,

I meant to ask you and feel free to answer me via email if you do not think it's something to discuss on the boards (johnnyq627@aol.com), but what stores are there around hopewell juct or other parts of NY not including NYC and LI? I would love to visit them and give them some business, however I've only been able to find two in the capital region, and one a bit more south (some guy's garage who wasn't very friendly).

Feel free to contact Eddie's Aquarium Center in Latham, NY ... the only reputable LFS with SW around the albany area... they could REALLY use some help on their coral selection!

ok well enough for tonight, I have some new corals to go stare at :)

Nick

Dan@ReefSplendor
12/11/2001, 07:03 AM
Johnny,

Your point is well made ! There are some LFS' in the area that
have a minimal seletion..... but we are working on it.

I will share another strategy that we have been working on.

We have contacted a number of leading manufacturers and
explained what we are attempting to accomplish (a work in progress for over a year). We are going
to contact LFS' in locations that are premo for retail and who
share our mission. We are then going to actually
GIVE them hardware required to set up killer reef systems. The
manufacturers share our vision and are willing to participate
in this effort. Further we will be assisting them in assuring they
maintain water quality, acquire knowledge (maybe some of you
folks from the boards can help) and maintain a strong commitment to the mission.

The main issue is that we are then creating competition for
existing shops who are already providing value to the hobby.
It is like walking a tight rope (that is why others have failed).
We cannot overly assist one and not benefit the others in the long term. The folks running LFS' are for the most part a very
independant breed and working w/ people of this mindset
(being one of them myself) has been a challenge that I have
faced time and again. Trust is not something that you can demand
or expect it is something that is earned over time.

The task before us is not a simple one.

The secret of my personal sucess in biz (not relate to reefing)
has been based upon something that my father taught me a
long time ago. 'Honesty is the Best Policy'
People can understand and accept a mistake, but they will never forget a lie'

We will play our cards directly upon the table and the chips will
fall where they may. We a committed to a goal that will benefit
all including US and YOU !

JohnL
12/11/2001, 09:19 PM
I know I am a little late to the party but here are my pictures from the event. www.reefcentral.com/members/johnl/reefsplendor

gmh320
12/12/2001, 11:34 AM
Joe/Dan,
I would also like to take the opportunity to thank you for being such graceous hosts. The food was great and the prizes you donated to the raffle were a thoughtful suprise. I was very impressed as to the quality of your corals and understand your pricing. Good quality comes at a cost and I don't mind spending the extra $ knowing that the corals I buy were quarrantined before I get them. The toad stool that I bought started expanding the second day, but has since fully retracted. I'm sure it is just getting acclimated to my lighting and currents and hopefully will start to respond. If you have any advise on special requirements, it would be appreciated. Thanks again.
Greg:wavehand:

BORECKI
12/16/2001, 07:05 PM
I also enjoyed the meeting very much. Was quite happy to see so many reefers in one spot. Loved the location (hats off to Joe/Dan). And the food was good! I'd like to see the show tank after it's matured.
Dan or Joe I know the place is a work in progress and not open to the public. How about in the future, by appointment perhaps?
Boris.

Joe@ReefSplendor
12/16/2001, 08:17 PM
Boris,
We normally don't get people just "passing" through. Most call first (either for directions or to see if we are open). If you're looking to come by anytime soon, we are planning on having walk-in hours on Saturday (the 22nd).

Greg -
How's that toadstool?
Drop me an email and maybe I can help you out with it :)

johnny
12/16/2001, 09:42 PM
AWESOME!!!

Count me in! I'll be bringing a few people with me this time though! What are the hours for the "open shop"? Also, do you need a name list?

Nick

rookie888
12/16/2001, 10:00 PM
Could someone give me directions from NYC. I heard about this place and would like to check it out this Saturday with a buddy of mine.

katspaw
12/17/2001, 09:09 AM
Rookie,
Directions to reefsplendor are posted on this forum under the thread heading Directions to ReefSplendor. :D Get on the thruway I-87 to exit 17 I-84 east to exit 15 Lime Kiln Road. Turn right. the road past the flashing yellow caution light you will turn right onto Shannondoah. After you drive over the bridge (highway) you will turn Left on to Jackson Road. Bare right at the fork and continue to the very end on the road. Big barn structure at the end is ReefSplendor. Word of caution ( Drive Slow on Jackson road )

Tracey