PDA

View Full Version : Down to business...

SHOmuchFUN
01/05/2005, 10:40 AM
Well, it's about that time again.
The holidays have come and gone and we're in a new year. I believe that on behalf of most of us at the VMA, we want to make this a good year and have some fun. The only way we're going to achieve this is if we create some cohesiveness and solidarity within the group through regular meetings, activities, and community service (helping out fellow reefers).

The December meeting was a big success, but there were still some things that we didn't get to do that we would've liked. I know that there were some attendees that were a little disappointed that there wasn't more of a structured dialogue. I think it was partially because MMR had too many tanks and it proved to be a big distraction. I think that if we focus on a single tank in someone's home, it'll open up a much more diverse dialogue and allow us to chime in about the livestock and the care for them in more detail.

I've worked out a table that has everyone's E-mail and has a link that goes straight to their personal message (PM) page. I figure it's a decent contact list if someone has questions for another member and all you have to do is click the link. From the response I got, there are a fair number of people willing to host a meeting. I think the weekend meeting worked best, as it was probably the largest turnout we've had since I've been in the club (only a year, but still). Let's shoot for a late January or early February meeting and get the flyers out again. I'll be headed into town this weekend, so if we can nail a date and place, I'll post our flyer up. I'm more than willing to host if nobody else is. I've got a good place to meet as my tank is in the dining room with chairs and a table. Obviously others are more than welcome to volunteer. Possible candidates include Scott, Tom Preska, and myself.

Let's start off the new year right and try to focus on getting our name around. Maybe we could discuss dues and the possibility of a frag workshop.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks!
-Erik Engstrom

lamphere
01/05/2005, 08:56 PM
just let me know when and where and i'll be there. wish i could, but I cant really host a meeting my apt is a tad small.

Brad A.
01/06/2005, 09:11 AM
Sounds good. I was planning on March being either a frag fest or acro power point presentation.

SHOmuchFUN
01/06/2005, 09:17 AM
Any word on setting a date and place?
I'll be in Burlington on Saturday and plan to do the LFS-500. So I could have some flyers in hand to post.

I'll throw a date... How's Sat. or Sun. January 29/30th, at 7pm?

I'm willing to offer my place if more than two people come :lol:

tsalter
01/06/2005, 09:30 AM
I was going to host feburary and posted in a thread when brad posted about march. I don't care if I do or don't since my tank is a mess right now. I will be happy to do it though and gives a place to meet that is closer to burlington.

It gets a little sticky putting flyers up with locations of houses phone numbers etc. Not that it is a big deal but it is easier over PM here but I don't know if thats an issue or not.

SHOmuchFUN
01/06/2005, 09:33 AM
Alright, since I haven't heard from Scott... Let's make January at my place (weather dependent), February at Tom P's, and then March at Brad's.

That gives us a lot of planning possibility if we have the next three locations nailed.

SHOmuchFUN
01/06/2005, 09:46 AM
Also, let's keep our eye out for a nice coral to frag in the March meeting. This would give us a month or two to let it settle down in our tanks before fragging the heck out of it. I was thinking that a nobilis, nasuta, robusta, millepora, micropthalma, horrida, or maybe even a cerealis would be some of the easier to frag.

It may even be cool to keep an eye out for people breaking down their tanks and make a club trip to go and pick up the frags and rock. Some of these systems can be had cheap and would be a good way to distribute livestock throughout the club.

Brad A.
01/06/2005, 10:26 AM
Please see the poll I recently posted.

lamphere
01/06/2005, 08:08 PM
sounds great. that will work for me. Sat. would definatly be better.