PDA

View Full Version : San Jose newcomer

evertrades
12/08/2001, 04:22 AM
Hi guys I just wanted to say Hi I live in San Jose and I have had my freshwater 55g for a few years and I am in the 3rd week of cycling on my new 55g marine tank =) wish me luck

Tenner
12/08/2001, 07:50 PM
Evertrades,

Welcome. If you have any questions on your new tank simply drop us a line here.

Good luck, patience is the key.

Matthew

dwarfatize
12/09/2001, 01:40 AM
Hi,
It's always good to see a new commer. Dont be afraid to ask questions. Are you doing a reef or fish only or undecided?
Well good luck.

Dane

evertrades
12/12/2001, 07:18 PM
Hey on my signature you can see everything I have in my tank and what is commmig in the mail. Tell me what you think :)

Tenner
12/13/2001, 12:16 AM
evertrades,

The only quick suggestion I have is to watch your Rio pumps. They tend to burn out. If you get a particularly bad burn out it can basically burn in the tank and kill most of your animals. Also, the rubber feet tend to disintgrate over time, not sure what impact that will have on water quality. Propably not to bad. It just really sucks when you wake up in the morning only to find one of your power heads had dropped off the glass and has been blasting your favorite coral for 8 hours straight.

For the Rio's you definitly want to set up a ground fault circuit for your electircal. That way if the pump burns up and water gets into it, the circuit will shut off the power. Make sure any siphon's can handle a power outage.

If you get a chance to come to our next meeting there are others in our club with more experience to help you out.

Good luck,
Matthew

dwarfatize
12/13/2001, 01:11 AM
You also might want to rethink the prizm skimmer. They have a ring that tends to break and then it leaks water everywhere. I would just go with a CPR bak pak 2. It's more reliable and it wont leak.