PDA

View Full Version : Tank for Bimac

wineo
12/07/2001, 10:09 AM
Hey guys,
I am starting to think about looking for a used tank to set up an Octo tank. I want to keep a Bimac type and want to know what size would be best. I'm thinking around a 30-40gal with sump. Would that be big enough? Also, I would like to know how you position the overflow so you can keep the octo from escaping. In my current tank, I have a corner overflow and there would be plenty of space for an octo to climb over the black overflow so do you plumb it differently? Also, how do you keep your tops secured? Thanks for your help!

-Wineo

cephalopoder
12/07/2001, 10:31 AM
Hello wineo
First off I would suggest reading all the past posts on this subject. There are lots of messages about this very question.
I will tell you that bimacs are not as prone to crawl out of a tank as some other octos would be. But it is always a good idea to button your tank up.
Let me know if you have other questions.

OctoMonkey
12/07/2001, 03:32 PM
I have heard that some people can keep open tanks for octos by putting a wide strip of velcro or astroturf around the top of the tank above the water. Any idea if that works?
Colin

cephalopoder
12/07/2001, 06:35 PM
I understand it has been dome for the GPOs but if the octo can reach over it it can still get out.
I too know of people that keep open tanks (im not saying who though) If a octo is going to escape it seems to try it in the first few days. My bimac, macropus, or mimic have shown no intrest in getting out. Get a GPO, vulgaris or a briareus and you have a escape artist on your hands. You never know, any octo has the ability to escape if it really wants too. Its allways good to be ready if they try.
chris

wineo
12/18/2001, 09:28 AM
Cephalopoder-
It sounds like you have a 30gal. Can you give me the specifics of your setup so I can understand a bit better? Do you have a sump? Is it a predrilled overflow or the other type? thanks for your help.

Wineo