PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to ship coral??

lamphere
01/02/2005, 12:05 AM
I have never shipped any before. Would be mainly softies. Xenia in this case. Any info on how to would be great.

tsalter
01/02/2005, 11:59 AM
Xenia ships really badly. Don't know why. I have shipped zoo's through priority mail. but Fed ex is the normal way. It is better to ship in the summer because of the temperature.

T

lamphere
01/02/2005, 03:46 PM
I agree, better wait for summer for that type of thing. Thanks

mike

Brad A.
01/02/2005, 06:30 PM
I've tried shipping xenia in the past. I got it to live once by shipping it in a lot of water (which was expensive).

I have shipping supplies you can have when you get ready to ship.

Brad

reefmarker
01/02/2005, 06:40 PM
I've shipped lots of Xenia. It is very hit and miss.

First of all make sure the xenia is very very healthy! If it has any problems at all it will die.

Prep it by leaving it out of the tank for about 5 minutes. Then wash off all the slime in some tank water (but not in the tank). Then throw the water out. Repeat this at least once. You want it to be mostly out of slime before you put it into a bag. You want it stressed out and slimed out prior to bagging up.

Now, either wrap it in tank moistened paper towels and bag it up...OR...put it into alot of tank water in a bag. Then ship it in insulated boxes with heat packs or cold packs.

Don't try to ship large chunks of Xenia it will slime so badly it kills itself. Ship small stalks on small rocks. You can ship some kinds of xenia loose also.

If it doesn't work, don't try again there is something wrong. Sometimes your Xenia is just not 100% healthy, and sometimes the receiving tank is too much of a shock for the Xenia. No use wasting your shipping money twice!

tsalter
01/02/2005, 07:04 PM
Thanks reefmarker!!!!! Great post

T

lamphere
01/02/2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks so much.... wicked good info. I'm going to save that post for future reference.

Mike