PDA

View Full Version : Amphiprion melanopus spawning ?

Kyle McClain
12/06/2001, 11:45 PM
I have a pair of cinnamon clowns that for the very first time tonight started doing a little dance over their anemone. Were the spawning ? I have had them for over a year now and they have never displayed such behavior before. The only significant change in the environment was an upgrade in lighting. All tank parameters are stable and have been so for months. Anyone ever seen this fish spawn in their tank ?

O-

eco-tropic
12/07/2001, 12:07 AM
ostatesman,

A very good sign! Although not always a sign of an impending spawn it could be that one is just around the corner. This is the general behavior of a pair that is either establishing a dominance role or getting their spawning signals down. It sounds like yours have been together long enough to have established who's female and who's the chump. You could be looking at courtship in the making. When they spawn you will know it! They will begin a frantic cleaning or biting session on a suitable surface. You might miss the first three or four spawns as new pairs tend to eat the first couple of attempts. This is normal and has to do with the complex signaling process that goes on during spawning. With any luck and time you'll have melanopus clowns spawning like clock work.

Kyle McClain
12/07/2001, 12:22 AM
I have see them "cleaning" the rock around the anemone over the last few days, which they have done before although they never done the dance before. What will the eggs look like, can they be raised to adults ? Thanks for the quick response.

O-

eco-tropic
12/07/2001, 12:49 AM
O,

Looks like you should get ready. Boil some water and tare some sheet or something. The nest will be composed of 300 - 1000 orange/red eggs. You'll notice them, trust me. I guess this is the part where your referred to the new clownfish breeders bible. Get a copy of "Clownfishes" by Joyce D. Wilkerson and Thomas A. Frakes. I should get a referral check or finders fee for as many times as I have turned people on to this book. It is well worth the investment even if you never plan to raise any fry. Good luck to you!

Kyle McClain
12/07/2001, 12:50 AM
Will do thanks for the info.

o-