PDA

View Full Version : Bi-color Blenny?

Tenner
12/06/2001, 12:03 AM
Hey all,

Looking at a picking up a Bi-color Blenny (common name), haven't looked up the scientific name yet. Anyone ever keep these?

Thanks
Matthew

dsb1829
12/06/2001, 01:06 PM
I haven't kept a bi-color, but they sure are cute. I really like the blennies. They just have so much personality. I have kept a couple of lawnmower blennies for a couple of years now. pretty hearty fish if they will accept prepared foods. Just make sure it is enthusiastic about food at the lfs before you bring it home.

Only down side to these and most blennies is that they may enjoy pestering the mantle of clams. Do you have any clams now?

That is about all I can think of off the top of my head on these guys. Hope it helps.:D

Tenner
12/06/2001, 11:59 PM
DSB,

Well, I broke down and purchased the blenny today. Wouldn't eat at the store, but I figure I have a better shot of getting it to eat than the store.

The "eye-brows" kill me, so cute.

No clams in my tank, a little too small for clams.

Let you know how it turns out.

Thanks
Matthew

dsb1829
12/12/2001, 06:15 PM
hOW IS THIS LITTLE GUY DOING? Darn all caps, can you tell I work in CAD a lot:rolleyes: . Any pics of it yet? I really like the blennies, so much personality in such a small package.

:D

ttt...

Tenner
12/15/2001, 12:47 AM
DSB,

Man what a cool fish. It's been just under a week. I'm concerned it doesn't seem to be eating. Perhaps it's eating when I'm not looking, but for now it doesn't seem to be eating any of the regular items I feed the tank. I've tried a pretty wide varity so far.

Really great how this guy dubbed "Waldo" by my wife, perches on my corals. I've got a pic but haven't had time to download it to my PC yet.

Thanks
Matthew

dsb1829
12/15/2001, 04:16 PM
Cool:D

It took over 6 months for one of our algae blennies to discover that prepared foods were indead eddible. He got so emaciated once when we were on top of the tank cleaning that we left our glass uncleaned for two months to fatten him back up. This was in our 58g fo tank.

After moving him to the 140g fo and the addition of more fish he just started to eat frozen food one day. We were very excited to see it. Just give it time. If you see it thinning up you may want to try and get some more film algae on the glass or some live baby brine. Good luck!

Tenner
12/15/2001, 10:48 PM
DSB,

We had a little shock last night. When I went to feed the tank we couldn't find the Blenny. After watching the tank for several minutes it was time to check the floor surrounding the tank, fearing the worst. We finally found the "Waldo" (Ok I'm not wierd naming my fish, everyone does it). Waldo had jumped over and into our overflow, and came to rest in the back by the drain to the sump. Still Alive! Whew. . .

Back in the tank now, all is well, still not eating. . . that we can see anyway.

Matthew:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

finatic
12/16/2001, 01:11 AM
I have had a Bi-color for about a year, it eats pretty much everything, between feedings we usually see him pecking at algae on the rocks or on the glass....the lip prints on the glass are a give away as well! He is a great little fish with a bunch of personality. Ours has a bit of an attitude...:)

dsb1829
12/17/2001, 03:02 PM
Oh, did I forget to mention that these guys are also ocasionally known for their acrobatics. Sorry. Glad it is back safe and sound. One of my not too distant projects is to safegaurd our tanks against leapers with some gutter screen.