PDA

View Full Version : Nano ideas...

SHOmuchFUN
12/29/2004, 11:11 AM
I posted this in the nano forum, but thought I'd let you all leave a comment if you want...

Help me decide:

I've been trying to figure out a decent office desktop system to house a fish or two, some softies, and *maybe* some montipora. I want it to be interesting (electricity is not an issue but price is ) I have a 20H lying around, but I think it takes up too much room. Here is what I have been thinking:

7gal mini bow or JBJ 12gal Nano cube DX

For the MB7
I'm having trouble figuring out how to light it.
*I was either going to retro the current hood for a 32w PC. I think CSL makes a 32w PC retrofit kit that fits inside the MB7's existing light strip.
I can get a whole package, with everything including a 32w retroed canopy with fan for $100 (sounded like a pretty good deal)

*Hellolights.com makes a 96w powerquad light strip that would fit. http://www.hellolights.com/201xcoaqpcho.html that would overhang about an inch or so over the sides, but the bulbs are only 16-17" so they would shine directly into the tank.

*There is also a dual 40w unit with moonlights, called the satellite: https://www82.safesecureweb.com/web...ory_Code=CSCFLL

*I got some new tools for christmas and thought I might try and build a canopy for it and retro a 70w MH, but being a bowfront, it could be VERY difficult. Not really a task I'm willing to undertake for something that isn't meant to be a great hassle.

OR OPTION 2:

I'm also thinking of the nanocube DX, it comes with 2x28w PC bulbs. This is borderline (enough). The package itself is a bit pricey and I've heard the construction is a bit 'sub par'. Modifying them will boost the price pretty high, and they are fairly large, requiring more live rock.

PLEASE! I'm racking my brain... :lol:

tsalter
12/29/2004, 08:42 PM
I would go with the minibow. It makes a real nice nano.

I can help with the hood. I can make the curved section if you want to make the rest. I got some new tools too!

tsalter
12/29/2004, 08:49 PM
How about this for lighting. I always wanted to try one of this they are a real nice color and would be great as the only light source on the nano.

http://www.hellolights.com/156500kiw.html

it would be over $100 for the lighting but i think I would go with a single mh if it would run cool enough.

edit: hello lights has a retro with everything for $154. A little bit of loot.

T

SHOmuchFUN
12/29/2004, 09:56 PM
I've decided on the mini-bow... I think I'm going to get one on E-bay for $60+$12 shipping (I have a $100 gift cert). There is a guy in NH selling his stock hood that is retrofitted with 32w of 50/50 actinics, he's giving me a brand new bulb, it has a fan built in, along with a temperature sensor. He's asking $65 for the hood. I think I'm headed in this direction...

I would love to retro a MH, but you're right Tom, that is a bunch of loot. I'd rather spend that money on livestock that'll probably fare just as well under 32w of actinics.

tsalter
12/29/2004, 11:01 PM
Sounds like a good deal on the MB, they have a sweet one in eddies in albany. it has like three fish in it too.

I would love to see that iwaski bulb in action. Maybe it won't be long before you try putting just a little robusta in there. ha! But better off with a softy nano. way less stress. Well if you need some mushrooms and stuff let me know. I also have some base rock too that has been in my sump for a while.

SHOmuchFUN
12/30/2004, 03:20 AM
Yes, it's 3:30am. I can't sleep :(

I can't wait!! I'm going to order it in the morningt.
I tried the nano idea on a 20 with only NO lights... First of all, I can't believe people call a 20gal a "nano". A 20 is a pretty large tank. I was pretty unsuccessful with it, I think mostly because I had ZERO filtration. I plan on running a small mechanical filter for both my flow regime, and also for some carbon. I may throw some spaghetti in there and just use it for a fuge.

I like the 7, because I'm not going to need much rock! I have CC from the 20 leftover that I'll rinse out real good and seed with some LFS livesand, I have a piece of TONGA, I'll get a reefbone, and then maybe buy a LFS piece of LR and call it a day. All I'll need is a cup of LS and a single piece of LR, or maybe get a piece from you Tom. Shouldn't be too too bad. as far as startup livestock costs. I have a large mat of GSP, a red zoanthid frag I got from you Tom, a piece of blue mushroom, and some blastos to go in it already from my 55. I think I'll try that purple digitata that I've got in the 55 as well. What the hell right? I can already see it!

As for the halides... I'm not going to totally rule them out. I've never seen those 50k bulbs before, that's pretty interesting. I wonder if they have ANY par? Seems to me that anything past 20k would not be worth its weight in intensity. I guess I wouldn't be too concerned with coral growth in a 7gal tank, but I tend to assess coral health by its growth. I think though if I were going with MH, I would go DE, HQI, just for it's small footprint inside a canopy and for the lack of a large reflector. There are some decent 150w HQI setups out there with a lot of bulb options. I could do a 150w 20k and not need actinics. I'm not sure if aquaconnect makes a 150w DE bulb. Like I said though, the lighting isn't the biggest challenge. It's making the wooden bowed front.

tsalter
12/30/2004, 11:07 AM
The 50k is a misnomer it is a 14k it has par but not like a 10k 250 but as long as you are not growing mucho sps it should be fine. it is made in a de as well and the setup from hellolights comes with an hqi ballast. I don't think you would need actinics with the 50k.

The bowed stand hood is not a big deal at all. I have a resaw bandsaw that you would cut oak or whatever into strips then laminate them back together on a curve. it really isn't all that hard for a simple design. you could even use 1/4"oak ply and bend then laminate. When you start curving moulding etc thats when it gets a little tricky. but the curve on a MB 7 is so small that you could cut it out of a board. Maybe something you couldn't do at home but something that is definately doable in my shop.

oh yeah i have some red mushrooms kicking around brown stars yellow polyps. whatever your softy tank desires.

t

SHOmuchFUN
12/30/2004, 11:24 AM
Cool, I put in my order today...
Bought the 7gal tank on E-bay - $60+$12 shipping
Bought a new hood with 32w PC, fans, and digital temp guage for $70 shipped.

Just need a decent piece of LR, an auto-topoff (not going to be at work on the weekends), and a powerfilter ~100gph.

Thanks Tom. I'll keep the moulding in mind. Not something I'm gonna do right away. I want to make sure this job is permanent, before I start loading paychecks into it! I don't need the extra powerhog at home. Lord knows that Jen has a hard enough time swallowing the 17+ power outlets I have things plugged into with the 55. :eek1:

tsalter
12/30/2004, 12:21 PM
Tell me about it got the electric bill for last month.

$150+ SWEET! I have been running my old computer alot and I think that along with more tank heating jumped my bill $30.

T

SHOmuchFUN
12/30/2004, 12:24 PM
Yeah, our's was $120...

I figure our basement is seriously cold too... And with the electric hotwater heater down there, it doesn't help. I'm gonna try and pick up one of those hotwater heater jackets at the depot. Maybe that'll help?

SHOmuchFUN
01/04/2005, 08:36 PM
Just got the light and hood today... Looks to be in decent shape. Came with a brand new bulb. The 32w 50/50 is no slouch and I can already tell it has a nice color. The install was very clean. Only problem is that the fan didn't work. I took the power pack apart and found a loose connection. I resoldered and it seems to be working fine, although it wasn't pulling a whole lot of air as it was only a 9v converter. I bet a 12v will pull some air, but I'm hoping the 32w of light doesn't put out too much heat to really be worried about it.

As for the tank, its scheduled delivery is Thursday. I'm headed into town this weekend to pickup an aquaclear power filter and some topoff supplies. Not to mention maybe a frag from Brad ;-)

SHOmuchFUN
01/06/2005, 10:19 PM
Minibow came today...

Too bad it had a @#$%#@ crack right down the side of it :furious:

Fortunate to say, the company that sent it is being gracious about it and is sending me another tank, but not until they get the current one back. They've scheduled a fed-ex pickup at the house, so it's out on the porch waiting for the damn fedex man. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad2:

I never have any luck with UPS, FED EX, OR USPS. I'm going to have to start trying DSL, or whatever they're called.

tsalter
01/06/2005, 10:47 PM
why not a local buy? Couldn't be that much cheaper online? After I saw what they did to an ocean runner of mine i don't know if I would ship something that fragile. Better luck on the next one!!!!!!!!!!! sorry about the bad luck

T

SHOmuchFUN
01/07/2005, 08:23 AM
Well, I had an E-bay gift certificate, so I thought that if I didn't have to pay for the tank out of my pocket, it would allow me to buy better things for it. IE light hood, filter, livestock etc....

But you're right, it's not a good idea. Maybe I can see if they can just refund my money?

SHOmuchFUN
01/07/2005, 08:25 AM
I asked for a refund... If they can paypal me the balance, I can deposit it into the bank and just buy one locally.

tsalter
01/07/2005, 09:25 AM
That's cool. I was at MMR when they were taking delivery of tanks one day and it was just a straight truck full of tanks. Makes alot of difference I think if the shippers know they are trucking just glass/tanks. They take care of it. Instead of fed ex who somewhere along the line use it to bowl in the warehouse. I hope you can remedy this quickly.

T

SHOmuchFUN
01/10/2005, 05:53 PM
Well...
I got the float switches today and surprisingly, they came equipped with plastic C-clips, so we don't have to worry about it.

Also got an E-mail from the nano-place and they said they'd be willing to just refund my money. Ironically after stopping in at your place, the diss had a MB7 sitting right out in the front display. P'd me off a bit, but at least I'll know where to get one. IT was the same price as it was online.

-E