PDA

View Full Version : ozone use

Salt Creep
12/26/2004, 03:53 PM
Hi everybody,

I won a Coralife ozonizer at the Christmas party, and am still trying to figure out how to best use it. I was thinking of hooking it up to my Turboflotor, but I can't think of a good way to run all the outgoing water through carbon. Can I just put the carbon in a perforated cup or tube, and just route the water into it? Or does the carbon chamber have to be completely enclosed? Not sure if that will work because of all the bubbles.

If I use the lowest setting, do I even need to worry about carbon at all?

Thanks,
Ken

loserkidz
12/26/2004, 05:28 PM
Ken,
That is simmilar to how I run my ozone output, I have a small pitcher that is perforated with a carbon bag inside and the flow goes through the carbon and into the sump. And i dose through a 250m/g unit.
Brent

Salt Creep
12/26/2004, 06:00 PM
Thanks Brent!

Do you run the ozone part-time, or 24/7?

Ken

loserkidz
12/26/2004, 08:51 PM
I have a red sea ozone generator with a built in orp controller, so yes and no its on 24/7.
Brent

o2manyfish
12/27/2004, 09:59 AM
Ken,

You can run it through anything - doesn't have to be carbon - Ozone is really unstable - It want to release the extra O atom and go back to being o2.

Just run it through a cup of anything - Gravel, bio balls, etc and it will break down any residual o3 from getting out into your room.

I do run my ozone 24/7

Dave B

cmagallon
12/27/2004, 10:07 AM
Howdy Ken.

Hey Dave. Can you hook up the ozonizer to a Via Aqua Skimmer.

Thanks,,,,,,,,

Hope you can make it by today!

Salt Creep
12/27/2004, 03:37 PM
Hey, if you guys are going to Con's you're all welcome to drop by at my place too since I'm just a couple of blocks away.

Con, do you want any macroalgae for the refugium?

Ken

cmagallon
12/27/2004, 04:02 PM
Ken,

Yes, Thank you. I'll have my fuge going tomorrow.

Thanks Ken,

Con

Salt Creep
12/27/2004, 04:06 PM
Oh, does anybody have any extra ozone safe tubing I can buy or trade off you?

Thanks,
Ken

shaw
12/27/2004, 08:08 PM
Hello LA, i just got an ozonizer for xmas. i have it hooked up to my euroreef, i put a cup of carbon on top of the skimmer to get off any excess ozone, and i have a bag of carbon in the water next to the outlet. the problem is that i still smell ozone in the air, even after a few minutes of use. any suggestions?

thanks a lot
shawn

moonpod
12/28/2004, 01:44 AM
use the carbon pads from an air filter and put one of those over the top of the ER

thetedinator
12/28/2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by moonpod
use the carbon pads from an air filter and put one of those over the top of the ER

????

moonpod
12/28/2004, 01:27 PM
You know, like a room hepa filter. They have these carbon pads that soak up the odor really well. Put one over the top of the skimmer where the air comes out to soak up the excess ozone odor.

shaw
12/28/2004, 04:56 PM
Thanks, i will try
shawn

Worldwithin
01/20/2005, 09:50 PM
Has anyone tried to use one of these Coralife generators pumping directly into the airflow of your skimmer? I currently have a Red Sea Berlin Turbo skimmer, and was wondering if adding the generator to the air input of my skimmer would work well.

JAGreef
01/28/2005, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Worldwithin
Has anyone tried to use one of these Coralife generators pumping directly into the airflow of your skimmer? I currently have a Red Sea Berlin Turbo skimmer, and was wondering if adding the generator to the air input of my skimmer would work well.

I recall they no longer supported pumping ozone through their skimmer. I called them about the early demise of the pump and that is when they told me... they said it could have been because of the ozone ... they did ship me a free replacement pump though .... eventually I switched to an Aqua C .... still have the Red Sea Turbo Skimmer somewhere in the garage ....

Salt Creep
01/31/2005, 10:49 PM
Hi Dave,

A question for you... you mentioned in another thread that the ozone might cause power cords and such to break down. Is that an issue even with small doses run through a protein skimmer only part of the day, with the output running through carbon?

Thanks,
Ken

Pepbill
02/21/2005, 01:04 AM
Naw it should be Ok. It probably depends on what acrylic was used with the protein skimmer but some manuf. such as Precision Marine have ozone inputs.

Salt Creep
02/21/2005, 01:07 AM
Thanks Bill!

Ken

Pepbill
02/22/2005, 11:13 AM
NP