PDA

View Full Version : Good Aquarium Shops in The Glendale Area

johnstires
12/24/2004, 04:13 PM
I'm helping my mother set up a 10 Gallon planted tank. I live in NYC and am not familiar with good stores around the Glendale/Pasadena area. Can anyone suggest a good place to buy plants, fish, shrimp, etc. I know this is a reef site, but I'm sure any place that has good saltwater livestock will have a solid freshwater planted tank merchandise. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

hail_sniper
12/24/2004, 04:59 PM
sorry, dont really know much stores in that area

if you would like to drive the distance, which may be about 20 miles away you can goto strickly fish, which is a very good place with decent prices and great service, they have a good selection of plants, and alot of fish to choose from (you can also check out their main display reef tank), they have alot of FW stuff you can check out

heres the location, you can get the directions off of yahoo maps :)

6903 Carson St
Lakewood, CA 90713

Near the intersection of Los Coyotes Diagonal and Carson St

definately well taken care of, and they have good stock :)

Salt Creep
12/25/2004, 05:57 AM
Some stores close by:
In Glendale, there used to be one called Tropical Imports on Colorado street... I think they're still there. They have lots of FW stuff and a fair selection of plants.

In Studio City, there's Mark's Tropical Fish on Ventura Place (I think).

In Pasadena, there's Pasadena Tropical Fish on Rosemead.

A bit far from Glendale, but in Canoga Park there's Aquarium City... they have a nice big planted display tank.

Happy Holidays!
Ken

drewdeezee
12/27/2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Salt Creep
Some stores close by:
In Glendale, there used to be one called Tropical Imports on Colorado street... I think they're still there. They have lots of FW stuff and a fair selection of plants.

In Studio City, there's Mark's Tropical Fish on Ventura Place (I think).

In Pasadena, there's Pasadena Tropical Fish on Rosemead.

A bit far from Glendale, but in Canoga Park there's Aquarium City... they have a nice big planted display tank.

Happy Holidays!
Ken

I just visited Pasadena Tropical Fish yesterday. It's actually on Colorado Blvd. between San Gabriel and Madre, right across the Chevrolet dealership. (They're having a sale until Dec 31st. I got my Lyretail Anthias for $11.99) I've never really looked at the freshwater items but their selection is huge!

johnstires
12/28/2004, 07:53 PM
I used to go to Mark's when I was in high school. They always had nice stuff and frequent sales. It's a little too far for my mom, who's just starting out. Maybe if she gets the "bug" she'll make the effort to brave traffic on the 101.

I did get over to tropical imports. Thier fresh water and plants weren't too impressive, but they had some nice reef and saltwater fish in stock. The prices were 20-30% less than what I see out here in NYC. Good cichlid selection too.

I didn't get a chance to get over to Pasadena, wish I had.

I also went to a little store in Montrose (on Honolulu) and saw some potential there. They didn't have the best stock, but they did carry some stem plants and japonica shrimp, which most stores don't carry. They also said they would order for us. Thier saltwater selection was non existent, so I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone here.

Thanks for the input everyone!

gregr
01/01/2005, 01:18 PM
at the corner of Verdugo and Olive (near a McDonalds- in that little shopping center west of McD's) is a store called Scales and Tails. don't know much about it though.
Greg