PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone need Chaeto???

myakkareef
12/22/2004, 08:46 AM
Does anyone need Chaeto?? I need to prune a huge ball back and hate to toss it. So if any needs any, I can meet you somewhere in town. Probally would be best after Christmas...
Let Me know...

jerrymlr1
12/22/2004, 09:53 PM
I could use some. Maybe you can tell me how to get it to grow. I don't know what's up.????????

myakkareef
12/23/2004, 11:00 AM
Jerry, We can meet next week if possible...I live in Myakka but work in Venice so I can probally meet you somewhere unless you wanted a ride to Myakka...As far as it growing??Mine grows like mad, could be due to I do few water changes and it is sucking up the nuitrients...I grow it in my fuge and it has a 10k and actnic bulb over it about 14 hours aday...It is loaded with mini brisstle stars, brisstle worms and pods....

lostduck80
12/23/2004, 01:28 PM
Hi i'm not from Fl but I read alot and every bodies got some Chaeto what does it look like and what does it do can you post a pic. can I pay for shipping and you send me some thanks alot.
Phillip

myakkareef
12/23/2004, 02:52 PM
Chaeto looks like a green brillo pad...It is a Macro Algae that grows from nutrients in your water...It is free floating and does not root. It really needs to be in a sump or fuge with lighting...I do not have a picture but you can search RC and come up with many pics...Check your local reef club to see if any members have some to give you...it would cost you more in shipping then it is probally worth...I know there is always a bunch for sale on the sale forums in R/c and on EBAY.....I always bring bunches to our local reef meetings but really not into shipping...Sorry...

Agu
12/25/2004, 04:49 PM
Scott,

My chaeto doesn't grow that well either. Do you think growth is a function of lighting ? In one tank I know I have the nutrients :rolleyes: .

Agu

myakkareef
12/27/2004, 01:44 PM
Lighting has something to do with it...See these posts by Randy Farley..
Post1 (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=462415)
post2 (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=216369)

mine grows in stages, The funny thing was during Hurricane Charley, Mine was in the dark for 9 days and doubled in size. There was probally a good deal of nutrients then though...

coyoteseven
12/28/2004, 08:58 PM
My chaeto grows like crazy! :spin2: This is the light I've been using that was recommended by melev:

A great refugium light, IMHO! (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=313318&perpage=25&pagenumber=1)

I'm running it 24/7 and usually have to prune half of it back every 3-4 weeks.

Agu
01/01/2005, 04:11 PM
Scott,

Thanks for the links . I got out an old LOA fixture and put it over the sump on one tank. Since I have similar sized clumps in two sumps I should be able to tell if it makes a difference.

Agu

Agu
03/17/2005, 08:10 PM
The chaeto with the lighting is now twice as big as the chaeto without the light.

fwiw,

Agu

MessyRoadKil
03/29/2005, 11:20 AM
Ill take some! I might ask if you could ship it in Florida. Should get here VERY soon if you could.

Please email me at messyRoadKil@hotmail.com so I can get the message faster.