PDA

View Full Version : Tips for adding a mate for established female?????

Angel*Fish
12/03/2001, 12:49 PM
Lots of questions?????????????????????
Considering giving my GS Maroon a mate... Any tips?????

My tank is only 30 g -- not sure best way to go about it- should I put a maroon about half her size in a clear holding area in my tank?

Should I set up a small tank & put them together with a plexiglass divider?

Could I dump him in with her and expect that they will work things out (that would be too easy:rolleyes: )

Will there be any indication when they have accepted each other before I let him loose with her ? Does it really take 2 months?
I think she's ready for a mate - she grooms all around her anemone, she's turned a lot darker.(Am I mistaken in my assumption that she is now female?)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, ideas and/or experiences!
:)

Tidepool
12/03/2001, 02:45 PM
About 1 and 1/2 years ago I had the same dilemna and eventually followed the advice of Joyce W. and placed the small GS maroon in a clear container inside the tank. Over the first 2 hours, he kept jumping over the top of the container and into the main tank. I decided that he was fine as she would only harrass him when he came too close to the BTA. When this happened he just fled and hid behind some rocks. After about 3 days they paired up and have been a nice pair and are now laying eggs.
He had tattered fins as she showed him who was boss for about a month, but they always slept together and it was only when he ate food that she had reserved for herself that she gave him any trouble.
IMO if the small fish has places to retreat to that she won't chase him or bite him in, they will eventually pair up. BTW mine are doing great in a 37 and in that same 1 and a half years the 2 BTAs are now 6 btas and they visit everyone of them everyday.

Angel*Fish
12/03/2001, 06:54 PM
Tidepool, thanks -- sounds like one big happy family - maybe I should try the container and then play it by ear... My BTA is getting to be pretty big - about 7-8 inches across, so I'm hoping there's enough room for two

If there's anyone else out there who has any input to share - I'm very interested - not buying any more fish until I have my chromis problem solved:(