PDA

View Full Version : stung by my lion

WILDTHING
12/20/2004, 05:34 PM
Has anyone else gotten stung by a lion? Is there anything you can do to relieve some of the PAIN?

I can't believe how much this hurts!! I've been taloned by raptors, bitten on my eyelid by a Great horned owl(got stiches)and probably bitten, kicked and scratched by most wild species found in Va and I gotta say I don't thing any of them hurt this much. He nailed me once before but he only stung me once this time he stung twice because I have 2 punctures about 1/4 inch apart. My fault, I thought I saw him under another rock, so stuck my hand in and tried to get something that fell.

coastal
12/20/2004, 05:48 PM
asprin thin the blood

coastal
12/20/2004, 05:52 PM
as a mater of fact I had a close face to face with one right here of nc coast awsome to see him but wonder what the hell he is doing here

strictly marine
12/20/2004, 06:57 PM
Well I know running your fingers in hot water right after you get stun will help but not sure what you can do after.

tsadik
12/20/2004, 08:56 PM
Man That must hurts.

ade
12/20/2004, 09:43 PM
I have been there wildthing, went to the doc and they gave me some anthistamine and benadryl and I had to buy this $$$$$ cream which was supposed to help with the dead tissue. My hand got about three times it's size and the venom started to creep up my arm. After taking the meds my hand was Ok but I had numbness in the finger. The tissue did die and I had a cool hole in the tip of my finger. Hope that you are doing Ok.
Ade

WILDTHING
12/21/2004, 08:16 AM
Well, I'm ok this morning, thank god the search function wasn't unavailable when it happened. I found out as Mike said that you need to soak your hand in hot water (as hot as you can stand) the proteins from his venom break down with heat) you also should take a antihistamine.
As soon as I felt the pain I knew what must have happened and didn't jerk my hand away, so his spines didn't break in my finger. My arm feels like someone spent the night beating on it but otherwise no swelling or discoloration.

Ade, You poor thing!! Did you have a bit of spine embedded in your finger? Did you keep him or get rid of him for health reasons?

I still can't believe how much it hurt!!

colleen

ade
12/21/2004, 10:21 PM
I still have him and in fact I also have a dwarf and I am hopeing to get a fu-man-chu. My V-lion in my best fish and in a way I am glad that I got stuck by him because now I know what it feels like. The books say it feels like a bee sting. Maybe a bee sting followed by a sledge hammer. Glad to hear that you are doing OK.
Ade

WILDTHING
12/22/2004, 01:42 AM
Ya, when I was doing my search I found referance to a bee sting, I was wondering what size bee they were talking about!! The first time he got me it was on my knuckle where I guess there is almost no meat or real blood flow because it barely hurt, it felt like I got stuck with something then some tingling but this time he stung me twice in the fleshy part of my finger and your description about a bee followed by a sledgehammer is VERY accurate. LOL

A V-lion!! I'd love to see him sometime, he must be awesome. I've seen pics of fu-man-chu's but never seen one in person. What do you keep with the V?

ade
12/22/2004, 11:19 AM
My Volitan is currently in my 90 gal. reef. I am hoping to get a 140 for him soon. I have a fuzzy dwarf lion, a niger trigger, a Picasso, and a pair of Clark's clowns in with him. If you go into my gallery, you can see a picture of "Leo". Jeremy is holding a Fu Manchu for me right now. If he is still doing well in a week, I will get him.

rufio173
12/22/2004, 12:11 PM
Wow... I think I'll stay away from these fish... They look cool, but I'm definitely not going to risk having a hole in my finger to own one.

WILDTHING
12/22/2004, 03:58 PM
Ade!! Leo is stunning!! I wonder if my "tigger" would like a little fuzzy friend? I think Leo is just awesome but I'm not willing to set up my 125g again to have one, though seeing Leo temps me.

Once I get my 35 hex FOWLER set up I think I am going to move my guy over into it, I'll have my hand in it a lot less as there won't be any corals etc to fiddle with.

rufio173, I think Ade's case was about as bad as it gets, he may have had an allergic reaction and or had a bit of spine lodged in his finger. In my case even though it hurt like mad, finding the info about soaking in hot water and taking an antihistamine and being lucky not to have a spine lodged under the skin I was fine the next day. And I think it hurt so much for me only because he got me with 2 spines. I guess it is a personal decision if you think they are cool enough to justify the risk, in my case it a no brainer ...YES They are just spectacular fish. Also I guess it helps that I am not studying to be a doc so I won't have to worry about scaring small children and the faint of heart by comming at them with a giant swollen black finger!!LOL

colleen

AQUAN8TOR
12/22/2004, 11:55 PM
Colleen, I'm so sorry you got stung. I make other people catch lions, b/c I'm very allergic to bee stings, which apparently puts me at risk.

I heard from a couple customers about the bee sting/sledge hammer thing. We've got a guy that weighs over 250, is a weightlifter, looks like a pro wrestler, and apparently cried like a baby (in his own words, "like a baby") when he got stung by his dwarf lion. I wish I could keep a Fu Manchu, but I don't trust myself.

I hope your finger gets better. If it makes you feel any better, I just got a painful lesson about sheet metal edges---I got 6 stitches last night from the dull side of a utility knife blade.

I'm not going to say anything assanine like 'be careful', but I hope the finger gets better.

Nate

WaterDogs
12/23/2004, 12:05 AM
The worst I've had is a clownfish bite that caused a small open wound that bled; now a lion fish sting is another animal.

AQUAN8TOR
12/23/2004, 12:16 AM
I was just thinking, I just sold the Midas blenny that was in the 180 at work b/c he started to bite me---fang blenny. The little hornet sting I got from him (tiny red dot & a little itching) pales in comparison. I just saw an ad for "VENOM E.R." on cable. You should be on there!!

ade
12/23/2004, 10:26 AM
I agree with rufio173, I love my V lion and I would do anything to keep him. Yes I would get stung again and again. Something Fishy has a fu manchu for me at his store. He didn't look too good after shipping so J is holding him/her for me. I hope that he /she lives. I have been waiting for a long time for a fu manchu. The time is near. I was woundering if the dwarf is as bad as the V-lion for sting power. Colleen you are welcome to come by whenever you are in the this part of the world. Just drop me a line.
Ade

AQUAN8TOR
12/25/2004, 04:36 PM
I've read that the dwarf is more powerful as far as venom toxicity. I'm embarassed that I don't know where to look that information up. There should be some sort of database avaiable for venomous fish and invertebrates---I know that there are several run by aquariums and universities in Australia----highest concentration of venomous animals on the planet, save for perhaps a museum snakehouse.\\\

Fishguru
01/04/2005, 10:31 AM
Actually the first Sting isnt the worst, its repeated stings when the body cant cope as well. You might actually develop an allergy to the venom. for Example, most people arent usually allergic the first time they get stung by a bee. They have had some other sting, that was close to the same "venom" The second sting they actually show the allergy effects. Now this is not true for all people, just a little warning, just in case. Keep that benadryl nearby.

AQUAN8TOR
01/05/2005, 07:59 AM
Interesting you note the similar venom cross reactions. I've been warned b/c of my bee sting allergy to keep my anaphylaxis kit nearby just in case. (ephinephrine--adrenaline shot)

ranceego
01/31/2005, 01:14 PM
next time that happens, but i hope not, try vinegar, it works well for stings, if you can get you hands on some topical lidocaine, even better but you might need a prescript for that.

AQUAN8TOR
01/31/2005, 02:08 PM
You do need a prescription for topical lidocaine, FWIW. I tried to get some a while back. Colleen, how about an update on the long-term healing of your finger??