PDA

View Full Version : Supplement Brands?

goblue2
12/20/2004, 02:47 PM
What Brands are you using for supplements (Calcium, Iodine, Etc...) ? Seachem or Kent Marine or others. Please list any pros or cons of any brand.

DrBDC
12/20/2004, 03:07 PM
Dowflakes cheap and easy. Can't even begin to compare.
Arm and Hammer, same but could be cheaper way still.
Epsom salts, same.
Mrs. Wages, same.
Kent Marine Iodine. Looking for a cheaper way.

That's all I use right now at least.

Charlie Davidson
12/20/2004, 09:15 PM
Hey, good question!!! I guess we did not expect that! I too have used, "randys 2 part" Have you used this consistatley?

DrBDC
12/20/2004, 09:26 PM
Just starting to do the 2 part this week. I was using Oceanic salt so I never needed to add Ca. They charge 75 bucks around here for it and there is a LFS with Coralife on sale for 29.99 for a 150 bucket so that's what I'm going with. I'll have to watch the Ca or mag then. I did have to use Arm and Hammer for some alk though. I drip the kalk for topoff but I have it set a little slower than evap and just ro/di the difference.
I'm picking up the dowflakes at the Home depot on the way to pick up the salt. I have used the Kent's Ca on my snail tanks (fw) before and I'll switch that too although I haven't tested them and I do drip them with kalk and just watch their pH doesn't go above 8.0. I used the epsom on them just as an occational teaspoon once every couple weeks.
Did you use the recipe for an extended period of time and have a problem, I ask because you say you "I have used" and was wondering what you experienced. If it's too much headache, maybe the 45 increase in salt is worth it. I also could probably shop around and save on that price even including shipping because I saw some thread here mention thier LFS had it for 36.99 on sale. My LFS's are just sticking it to us probably.

Atlantis Aquariums
12/20/2004, 11:23 PM
Corallife is $39.00 at the store. Mention the club and you can have it for $31.00. I have 12 or so buckets (while they last).

Marvin.

Charlie Davidson
12/22/2004, 03:23 PM
Has used randys 2 part on and off - can not say it was as good as B-Ionic!! because of troubles I when to CAL-recator, after one month still have to add cal, sometimes I use DOW- can't see difference!

AQUAN8TOR
12/22/2004, 11:59 PM
I use Warner Marine Lugol's Plus iodine, which is a little cheaper than Kent, but not much. I use it b/c it is supposedly more concentrated. I also use their trace elements, but only every now and then, not scientifically at all. I feed my fish a lot, and rely on that for supplementation.
Also, I add Kent Marine iron every day with the Lugol's.

goblue2
12/23/2004, 07:00 AM
I was going to start using the B-Ionic 2 part for the Calcium and Alk. I just can't justify a cal reactor right now. Are you all dosing Kalk or not? Nate: How often are you adding Iodine?

Charlie Davidson
12/27/2004, 01:34 PM
What about IRON~any of you guys use it?