PDA

View Full Version : Ecosystem quarentine as tank building technique.

spectre9
12/20/2004, 01:02 AM
I have been in the coral reef hobby a bit over 18 months. It became clear early that a large tank was in my future. I keep primary SPS corals/

For over one year I have engaged in a staged QT system involving multiple tanks. I began this effort based upon the feedback I had heard from local clubbers.

Such advice most importantly included:
1. no aggressive softies with SPS (or some LPS). A single mushroom can become a deadly pest over time.
2. Caulerpa and bubble algae are big-time pests -- mainly as a maintenance chore.

Early in the hobby I faced a couple of aiptasia's, but they never made it into the main take due to diligent QT.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE FORUM:

I will have a 250+ gal system within 2 years. I just started the 'final stage' QT tank, where I have three pieces of live rock that is visibly pest-free for over four months.

My intention is to establish a smaller working system to serve as the seed rock for this future big tank, which would primarily be populated by base rock.

1. Since some of the source rock originally was exposed to bubble algae, is it likely that these rocks still harbor microscopic colonies?

Since my tanks measure 0 nutrients by test due to regular husbandry I am concern the problem is merely suppressed.

2. I have heard mention by some the vermatid snails are considered by some a pest, due to the muscus strainds they emit, and the way they grow/look. I have a few -- any arguments to be made for elimination or retention?

3. What sort of additional pests might I have that would be best to eliminate during QT on the first live rock that is placed in my 'final tank?'

4. If I am willing to make a 10year commitment on a tank without knock down, what level of QT should I observe? Will the increased plankton and associated nutrient levels (living organisms, instead of nitrate) feed blooms of latent pests?

Am I wasting my time except in the cases of Caulerpa and anenomies (including the nocturnal ones...)? In particular, is Bubble Algae able to be completely eliminated from rock exposed to a tank already infested?

In ten years cleaning up algae might start to compete with other demands in my life... maybe my investment will be worth it.

-- Patrick
Dallas, TX

spectre9
12/20/2004, 02:34 AM
http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_pages/faq_rock1.htm

Here are the items I have already covered. I had a limpet that appeared to damage corraline already, and it was one of the toss-outs.

Bubble algae is my biggest nightmare right now. I hope to erradicate it.

rick rottet
12/20/2004, 06:08 AM
These are just my opinions, I am not an/ the expert here.

1) Bubble algae do contain spores which can lay dormant for a time before manifesting. How long, I don't know. I have had none visible for a few months at a time and then I'll see one or two and siphon them out before they go pale. If it is that big of a concern, maybe you could try feeding the QT tank to see if the nutrients bring anything out of the rock. If there is a skimmer on the QT, maybe shut that off line as well.
I have had those issues with QT myself, in that QT is a low nutrient environment and many of these"pest" organisms don't manifest until in a higher nutrient environment.
2) Personally, I like the vermatids, They add biodiversity to a tank, are really harmless and will filter feed on detritus in the water column. I like to see different form of reef life developing from what looks like nothing. I suppose a case could be made for eliminating them if their mucous was irritating a coral, I have not witnessed that in my tanks (but that is only my experience, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen).
3) There are many other forms of algae which some people find a nuisance. Red bubble (Botryocladia). Red "brillo turf" (Gelidium pulsilium). Brown leafy (Sargassum) is fairly noxious. I would personally add those to my list.
4) My opinion is that it's possible. At some point, you just have to say, "OK, I've done the best I can do". Then run whatcha brung, so to speak. I think four months is an extraordinary QT time and by this point, you have done more to check for unwanted pests than anybody I know. You should be commended for your patience and thoughtfulness.
Rick

spectre9
12/20/2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by rick rottet
These are just my opinions, I am not an/ the expert here.
3) There are many other forms of algae which some people find a nuisance. Red bubble (Botryocladia). Red "brillo turf" (Gelidium pulsilium). Brown leafy (Sargassum) is fairly noxious. I would personally add those to my list.

Thanks much for your comments Rick. I am definately familiar with these problem algaes, and have eliminated them through the staged QT as well.

In fact, I do have some Acro's that have turf algae on the base rock. The final tank will be populated by frags rather than transfers of entire colonies, which will eliminate those hitchhikers.

Good to know that about the valonia, though. Perhaps I should use a dark container, place my outgoing WC water within it. Heat and circulation like a tank, but no light. Then add a bunch of food.

Give it some time to rot/cycle and then use the mix to test rocks for pest algae (in a seperate tank, exposed to light). i.e. see what blooms in high-nutrient water.

I must say though I am reluctant to expose the rocks to much nitrate or phosphate, as they well colonized with feather dusters!

-- Patrick

rick rottet
12/20/2004, 04:30 PM
Sorry, I didn't notice at 5am, but
Welcome to Reef Central

http://reefcentral.com/images/welcome.gif

spectre9
12/21/2004, 10:04 PM
I know my mind might be running away... but I have had a progressive corraline bleaching problem in my main tank. Today, during maintainance, I noticed a new and extremely small bug on rock.

I have verified that these bugs are not in my final QT tank. This also has the best coralline growth, but other reasons are to be credited :P

Chances are they are copepods, but they are the first I have seen those that look like isopods or worms more than copepods. They have a small black dot for a head, and a clear body. I vaughly remember a black spot eating coral, and perhaps such bugs eat coralline.

If it was not for the 'black spot' I would not be able to see them with the naked eye--they are that samll.

I find them only in location where there is 'sick' coralline, normally a red that turns sickly pink at times.

My water clarity has caused bleaching when I changed bulbs before, but these bugs are new.

They are swarming, and seem to inhabit only the coralline, not bleached out or algae covered areas. I estimate one every 4mm radius on the rock.

Anyway, a little history. I might try to get a photo after Chrishmas.