PDA

View Full Version : March meeting at my place

Brad A.
12/19/2004, 09:15 PM
I have the entire month of march off.

For the meeting I was think about having a coral fragging seminar or I could do the "Keeping Acros" presentation.

First though, I would like to get an idea of the types of corals people are keeping. We could frag a softie and an acro.

Please respond: What type you'd like to frag. The point would be to go in as a group and get a killer coral and frag it up. So, I will be looking around for that special coral.

SHOmuchFUN
12/19/2004, 10:36 PM
Well...
I keep mostly SPS/Acros, but I do have a torch, favia, and then zoos, etc. I think mostly everybody knows what I have.

As for what I'd like to frag... How about your purple monster :D ?
Honestly, I know you have an eye for beauty in corals, so I trust your judgement. I do like millepora, but could also use a different sort of SPS growth form like Carolinia, Granulosa, etc.

I think we may want to get something aquacultured if we're going to frag the heck outta it. If we were to get a wild colony, I would imagine it would have a higher probability of RTN if we fragged it to death.

Brad A.
12/19/2004, 11:20 PM
The problem is most aquacultured are frags. As for softies, I may come back from Nevada with a huge bright green palau nepthea

http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/images/greennepthea.JPG

Rare Palau Nepthea
Known only in captivity, this
coral is said to be extinct.

2"-$40

tsalter
12/20/2004, 09:32 AM
Whichever you want. I will probably have my tank in order by then if not my frag might have to have some toliet time.

T

SHOmuchFUN
12/20/2004, 09:44 AM
Brad, you're going to keep Nepthia in your tank? Isn't that a nono? :lol:

tsalter
12/20/2004, 10:17 AM
I am sure it is an impulse buy :)

Brad A.
12/20/2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by tsalter
I am sure it is an impulse buy :)

??Me, buy a softie? What the ldkfjs;ldk?

My father in law has a giant "rare" nepthia that I gave him 3 years ago and its out grown his 45 bow front (that I gave him)

I also may be able to get some white pulsing pom-pom xenia..the good stuff. not the little squatty white/brownish xenia stuff.

Brad A.
12/20/2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by SHOmuchFUN
Brad, you're going to keep Nepthia in your tank? Isn't that a nono? :lol:

Not if you run carbon and have a kick-a$$ overrated-pound-the cr*p out of the water skimmer.

Waterbury Guy
12/20/2004, 10:56 AM
I'm mostly softies, so I'd be interested.

lamphere
12/20/2004, 07:21 PM
I'm all about the softies:)

nolofinwe
12/21/2004, 02:22 PM
I'm assuming nepthia is a "no-no" because it engages in chem warfare with sps, right?

no effect on clams though, i'm assuming?

boy a bright green nepthia? I've always wanted one of those :)

Brad A.
12/21/2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by nolofinwe
I'm assuming nepthia is a "no-no" because it engages in chem warfare with sps, right?

no effect on clams though, i'm assuming?

boy a bright green nepthia? I've always wanted one of those :)

One nepthia in a 75 is not going to wipe out your sps. A problem can occur when the tank is heavly stocked with softies and you dont run any carbon and have a weak skimmer.

nolofinwe
12/21/2004, 02:30 PM
cool, good to hear.

nolofinwe
12/21/2004, 02:31 PM
A fragging seminar would be cool, but I can't think of a specific coral I would like.

Can we just frag your Radiums and call it a day?

Brad A.
12/21/2004, 02:32 PM
sure

SHOmuchFUN
12/21/2004, 02:38 PM
I'll repeat my statement....

How about we frag your purple monster? :D

I think it's beneficial that we learn how to frag corals, but also learn how to frag Tyree LE corals. ;)

Brad A.
12/21/2004, 02:56 PM
nope

jango
12/21/2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by SHOmuchFUN
How about we frag your purple monster? :D

or any of Brad's coral's....

I will have to get up there again to see how your tank is filling out.

Brad A.
12/21/2004, 03:12 PM
My tank is overload! Every inch of rock or substrate that an acro could sit on is occupied. Its an addicting hobby. My name is Brad, I'm addicted to acropora. Please help me.

Somebody needs to come up with a 12 step program for this problem.

later

oh, how's the purple slimmer? hopefully at least the coralites are purple!

jango
12/21/2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Brad A.
Somebody needs to come up with a 12 step program for this problem.

later

oh, how's the purple slimmer? hopefully at least the coralites are purple!

12 step- 1) take one of your most prized Acro's and snap a branch off and mail it to me..
2-12) repeat step 1 on 11 more prized Acro's...:lol:

sorry to say none of the slimer's made it, they all did well for a couple day's then RTN, all three did the same thing in different systems..????

Brad A.
12/21/2004, 07:10 PM
I'll replace them. No prob. Sorry you had to come up to VT to get them.

jango
12/22/2004, 07:24 AM
That would be awesome Brad, The trip isn't that bad I stay an hour and half away from Burlington on the weekend's. Do you guy's ever have any meeting's down near Wells River?

thanks,
pj

Brad A.
12/24/2004, 01:12 PM
No meetings in Wells River. But again, you're welcome to come up and get more slimmer. The slimmer has grown quite large and needs to be fragged.

Later

jango
12/26/2004, 10:45 AM
Thank you, I will let you know when I can get up there...

mogulski
12/26/2004, 11:27 AM
brad,
that sounds great. count me in for the march meetingas long as it's not a weekend night.

-Jonathan