PDA

View Full Version : First Snow!

SunDragon
12/19/2004, 08:49 PM
Okay, pointless thread, but man do I love the snow!

AQUAN8TOR
12/19/2004, 08:53 PM
Snow sucks! I mean, I love it too, but my car doesn't. Slipping and sliding all over the place just now on powhite while on the way home from work. Safe.

I wrecked my Supra almost 2 yrs ago in the snow. I just got it back recently. I'm not taking any chances.

SunDragon
12/19/2004, 08:55 PM
nothing like finding a nice empty parking lot and playing "lets spin the car outta control" to learn how to drive in it(or just for the heck of it).

Its done best at about 3am when nobodies around though.

AQUAN8TOR
12/20/2004, 02:53 AM
definitely. Especially no cops. It's just as much fun without snow, provided you have the HP to burn the tires. I wouldn't know, really. I'm just speaking hypothetically, of course. Spinning tires and doing donuts is illegal.....

headonkey
12/20/2004, 03:31 AM
Cause Supras don't have any HP. Right.....

morphx
12/20/2004, 08:58 AM
There was more ice on my car than the interstate.

hisc1ay
12/20/2004, 11:47 AM
I love the snow. It's quite magical when you wake up and everything is covered in an unmolested blanket of white.

<rant>
Why the heck does Virginia not know how to take care of the roads??!!?! 75% of the reason there are so many accidents when it snows *LESS THAN AN INCH* is VDOT's inability to prepare, nevermind the $84 million or whatever they said they had ready for the snow. Granted, I was very impressed this morning at the road conditions. The other 25% of the problem is people who haven't figured out how to drive in wintery conditions. You can't drive your normal speed, but you can't drive 15 either. If road conditions were better, these would be abated, but still...

When I lived in NY, you had to not be able to get your front door open for all the snow before they cancelled school. That was one of the plusses for moving down here. :)
</rant>

If any of you work for VDOT and I offended you, please accept my apologies for that. I appreciate any work that's done to make our roads safe, it's just that I come from a land where they have trucks on the road before it snows so I'm kinda spoiled.

-j

hisc1ay
12/20/2004, 11:48 AM
Also, it definitely snowed more in the east end and the city than it did in southside.

strictly marine
12/20/2004, 11:53 AM
That's how I felt after I moved down here from NY too...I still remember when I had to walk to school after 6 inchs of snow.

SunDragon
12/20/2004, 12:15 PM
Henrico schools havent allways been "I saw a flake, lets close" 10 years ago when i was still in school, it had to be pretty bad before superintendent(sp.) Bosher would close the schools.

It is pretty sad around here when everyone panicks and goes grocery shopping for bread and milk. That and that sorry VDOT service we have.

But the one that ticks me off most is the powhite. I pay to drive that stupid road every day, and they still cant plow the thing.

morphx
12/20/2004, 01:24 PM
Coming from Va Beach it was the same way. But they wouldn't cancel school until everyone was already waiting for the bus, they just wouldn't send the buses. Yay for common sense.

And then at ODU they wouldn't close the school unless the President couldn't get to campus, to bad he lived less than 1/2 a mile from his office. They seem to forget that ODU has more than a 75% commuter population.

Charlie Davidson
12/22/2004, 09:57 PM
Jazzey, knowing your supra has @2x hp my Z-71 does-- per weight, I am sure you had fun??? I hate it , too !!!
If, I did not have to move the stuff for years--- I too! would be happy. Bah, humbug!! --------- BTW, Merry, Christmas to all, CBD

AQUAN8TOR
12/22/2004, 11:40 PM
I don't know about twice the HP per weight--the supra is a HEAVY car. It's almost 3700lbs, but it's got roughly 300hp now. It came with 242---it's the single turbo model, juiced just a little. It does have a j-spec block and heads, and a slightly modified exhaust (hehe). The exhaust pipe is, believe it or not, legal. It was cheaper than replacing the toyota one when it began to rust out. I also increased the turbo pressure to about 10 psi instead of 6.5. Roughly 18hp per 1 psi increase, according to the supra site I get my info from.

corriewf
12/23/2004, 01:23 PM
What is the deal with the roas around here period??They are in horrible condition.There are pot holes all over 64 and 95.What is the deal? I cant keep my car aligned.

prop-frags
12/23/2004, 11:11 PM
Mark Warner had to put some rather aggressive spending cuts in place in order to balance the state budget. It's constitutionally-mandated that we have a balanced budget. I applaud the Governors fiscal conservatism - I wish the repulicans in Washington would follow his lead.

corriewf
12/23/2004, 11:57 PM
Thats a great plug for democrats and everything but it doesnt explain where all of the states federal road money is going.Oh and how about the tolls on every new road they build and the tolls go on way past the cost of the construction......

SunDragon
12/24/2004, 08:24 AM
I cant speak for the DC area tolls, but the only two tolls around here I know of that are old enough to have paid for the roads there on are the powhite, and the down town express way. Both I believe are owned by a private company and not the state, so they can keep the tolls up as long as they want. They have tried to sell them to the state numerous times, but the state can never afford it.

rick s
12/24/2004, 02:38 PM
Nate,

I didn't realize you were a motor-head! I'll have to take you for a ride one of these days.

rick s
12/24/2004, 02:41 PM
hisc1ay, What part of NY? We lived in Rome for 12 years.

rufio173
12/24/2004, 04:51 PM
Don't eat the yellow snow.

strictly marine
12/25/2004, 12:41 AM
I live in woodside Queens for a good while.