PDA

View Full Version : Coral and trigger

Tang City
12/02/2001, 09:38 PM
I have a huma trigger that thinks he's a tang. He eats the seaweed leaves my mushrooms, sand shifting stars, and crab all alone. Do you know of any coral I could get without himm eating them.

EricHugo
12/02/2001, 10:45 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of triggerfish. You may want to take this to Frank Marini's forum, but I can;t think of anything that a trigger wouldn't try to eat - some don't bother anything, but all I am aware of are known to have this potential behavior.

JohnL
12/04/2001, 04:12 PM
Hi Tang City.

[welcome]

[moved]

I have never kept any triggers but perhaps the people in this forum can offer some advice.

hcs3
12/05/2001, 11:31 AM
triggers are willing to try everything once. if they decide they like it, it won't be there very long. i think at best it would have to be a trial and error type of thing, but i know i wouldn't be willing to find out the trigger likes certain corals. maybe just stick with mushrooms?

HTH

henry

FMarini
12/06/2001, 01:45 AM
Hi:
i'm in total agreement here.
Every trigger has a different personality. Some are nice and mellow and others are the devil in disguise. I find that triggers"sample"....they put everything in their mouth once or twice. If it tastes good, they eat it, if they don't like the taste they leave it alone.

I would personally recommend you don't risk adding other corals to this tank in hopes of finding one the trigger doesn't find tastey. Obviously the mushrooms are safe. So be happy he hasn't eaten them.
I suspect if you forget to feed him for a few days he will find the crab and starfish tastey.
Last point when the trigger gets bigger expect him to find many things more tastey and they often get bossy
Enjoy the fish
frank